Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best Micro 4/3 body (legacy lenses compatibility wise)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Best Micro 4/3 body (legacy lenses compatibility wise) Reply with quote

If HYPOTHETICALY I would find interesting the idea of purchasing a Micro Four Thirds body, mainly for compactness/portability, which would be the best option considering manual focus lenses compatibility in terms of available adapters, focusing issues, etc.

I have not found first person opinions on this, sorry if this is a repeated subject.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not 4/3, the Sony NEX cameras are worth a look. They have the larger 1.5 crop factor sensors.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me Lumix GH1/GH2 (have both), has at least a grip and not a little something dangling behind a big lens; NEX I mean Wink
The 1.5x crop factor as compared to 2x is a valid point though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm using a Panasonic G1 with a large variety of MF lenses.
I have yet to come across a lensmount that can not be adapted to micro4/3.

Infinity focusing problems can however arise occasionally (focusing beyond infinity as well as not reaching infinity) with some types of adapters. I have 2 FOTODIOX Pro adapters for Nikkor F mount, and both do not allow for focusing to infinity Twisted Evil

The G1 being very cheap nowadays, I think you cannot go wrong with that ..

Have a nice evening,
Rafael

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/sony-next-or-micro-4-3-panasonic-g1-t37108,highlight,%2Bmicro+%2B4+%2B3+%2Bvs+%2Bsony.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olly cams all are very portable and have in camera Image stabilization, which i found very important in small cameras. panasonic do not have this feature.

olly ep2/L1/L2 have optional evf, which is really a must because focusing manually without confirm on lcd is very difficult. this is by far best evf i have ever used or even heard about, it is like piece of military equipment for night vision! sony nex does not have this possibility.

all evil cams will have similar adapters for manual lenses, though i have never had any problem finding any adapter i wanted for ollys.

i agree g1 is great cam, but no IS and while smaller than dslr, really not portable.

my choice would be one of the ollys. i have the ep2, but the epl2 has a flash on board and i heard pictures are a little sharper...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the smallest size is important: Oly's camera + electronic viewfinder

If a little bigger size is ok, GH2, better sensor than the rest of m4/3 camera.

if you don't mind the lack of viewfinder, hotshoe, ultra wide lens in the lineup, and less user friendly (compared to panasonic G) user interface, NEX, bigger and better sensor, 1.5x crop instead of 2x crop.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about Samsung NX too, it has 1,5 crop sensor , best back LCD panel from all + EV finder on top..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, ive heard good things about the samsung as well. it is however the biggest in size of olly, panny and sony...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me size is no matter I did pick it up these cameras about their compatibility, NX perhaps weak in adapter choices.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the NX doesn't allow the use of M lens... which kills it for me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
But the NX doesn't allow the use of M lens... which kills it for me

I didn't know that. Why ? Can you explain it to me ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read, the mount neck is too narrow for M-mount, even though the flange distance is long enough. LTM seems to be fine. You can do a search on the bay for the available adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you , this is pretty shame.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they made a conscious decision to not support M or K lens so they can sell more of their lens, I made a conscious decision of not buying their camera nor lens Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, thanks for all the opinions Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
olly ep2/L1/L2 have optional evf, which is really a must because focusing manually without confirm on lcd is very difficult.

Are there no adapters available for 4/3 with a focus-confirm chip...?

Sad

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are there no adapters available for 4/3 with a focus-confirm chip...?

Yes, because don't need. It's live view, magnify function makes focus to more accurate than most DSLR with an AF confirmation adapter.