Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Please help - is this TX/T4 mount?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Please help - is this TX/T4 mount? Reply with quote

Found this Vivitar 105/f2.8 with Canon FD mount on it. It does look like a T4 interchangeable mount. Can anyone please confirm? If so, does it mean that I can use it on my Pentax DSLR provided I have the right adapter?

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help - is this TX/T4 mount? Reply with quote

ducdao wrote:
Found this Vivitar 105/f2.8 with Canon FD mount on it. It does look like a T4 interchangeable mount. Can anyone please confirm? If so, does it mean that I can use it on my Pentax DSLR provided I have the right adapter?

Click here to see on Ebay

The posting on Ebay is not there now but I do know mine is a T4 mount.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, it's sold so we can't see it anymore. Luckily I took a screenshot while it was still available. Here it is. Can you please confirm it's the same as yours?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't answer for Big Dawg, but its certainly the same as mine. I have the same lens also in Vivitar brand.

Its a T4 for sure.

You can find this lens also in Soligor brand, with different engraving and different knurling.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Well, I can't answer for Big Dawg, but its certainly the same as mine. I have the same lens also in Vivitar brand.

Its a T4 for sure.

You can find this lens also in Soligor brand, with different engraving and different knurling.

Thanks, luisalegria.

That means I can fit this on my Pentax DLSR with proper T4 adapter right?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need an M42 T4 plus an M42-PK adapter that presses the M42 aperture pin for best results.

T4's were not made in Pentax K (PK) mount. M42 is the best alternative.

The M42 T4 has no proper Manual-Auto switch - it has instead a very annoying wheel for stopping down (intended only for metering I think) that is quite difficult to use. So an M42-PK adapter that presses the M42 pin and turns the lens into a pure manual aperture is very very helpful.

The alternative is to open the M42 T4 adapter and fix the pin mechanism to do the same thing. I have done this also, its quite easy.

The Nikon adapter will also work on Pentax DSLR's, and will hold the lens on the camera quite well, and moreover it has no problem with the pin, as the default state is stopped down. However, the lens will focus beyond infinity as the Nikon back focus is 1mm longer than Pentax, and it is of course not entirely secure as the locking lug on the Pentax mount will not engage. I suppose its possible to drill a hole in the T4 adapter for this purpose if necessary.

The other T4 adapters available - Canon FD, Minolta, Exakta, Miranda, etc. - are not easily adaptable to PK.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
You will need an M42 T4 plus an M42-PK adapter that presses the M42 aperture pin for best results.

T4's were not made in Pentax K (PK) mount. M42 is the best alternative.

The M42 T4 has no proper Manual-Auto switch - it has instead a very annoying wheel for stopping down (intended only for metering I think) that is quite difficult to use. So an M42-PK adapter that presses the M42 pin and turns the lens into a pure manual aperture is very very helpful.

The alternative is to open the M42 T4 adapter and fix the pin mechanism to do the same thing. I have done this also, its quite easy.

The Nikon adapter will also work on Pentax DSLR's, and will hold the lens on the camera quite well, and moreover it has no problem with the pin, as the default state is stopped down. However, the lens will focus beyond infinity as the Nikon back focus is 1mm longer than Pentax, and it is of course not entirely secure as the locking lug on the Pentax mount will not engage. I suppose its possible to drill a hole in the T4 adapter for this purpose if necessary.

The other T4 adapters available - Canon FD, Minolta, Exakta, Miranda, etc. - are not easily adaptable to PK.

Thanks! Such a great explanation.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and there was no 100mm or 105mm offering in the later, TX line.