Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mont Blanc, Nikkor 20mm and Kodachrome
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Mont Blanc, Nikkor 20mm and Kodachrome Reply with quote

More digging in my trunk full of slides uncovered these shots from a trip to France in February 1986. Two friends and I flew into Brussels for a couple days, drove to Paris for a couple days (I picked up new skis and boots at Aux Vieux Campeur), then headed for Chamonix, stopping along the way to buy a huge chocolate cake, which we ate while stuffed into a small Opel (my friends are former football players, so there wasn't much room for me).

We had a whole week in Chamonix, staying at the Hotel Le Stade (I think) and skiing every day. We had spectacular weather, except for one snowy day, and a fantastic day skiing down la Vallee Blanche. On the way back to Brussels, we stayed outside of Strasbourg with a woman we had met on the flight over. She and her friends became lifelong friends. In fact, one of them sent her teenage son over to stay with us for the summer a couple of years ago, and our son is going over to stay with them this summer.

So, wonderful, wonderful memories of that beautiful country and its people. But, anyway, here are the photos!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful scenery, the verticals are exactly right for this landscape. The exposures are also beautiful, with plenty of tones in the blue channel. Another fabulous set, I love these "old photos on film" topics.

Last edited by Esox lucius on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Wonderful scenery, the verticals are exactly right for this landscape. The exposures are also beautiful, with plenty of tones in the blue channel. Another fabulous set, I love these "old photos on film" topics.

+10 Superb!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb, the flare on the fourth one is perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! That's amazing photography, worth being shown in National Geography! Really! Have you ever send them there?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Shocked ! What a beautiful serie, colours are stunning, just perfect landscape snow scenery on my eyes.....Could you tell me (us) witch cam and lens did you used for this serie?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
which camera and lens did you use for this serie?

I took the liberty of peeking at gaeger's Flickr account, which says these photos were taken with a Nikon F2 and lens is the Nikkor 20mm f/4K

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/k204.jpg
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#20

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great series!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I haven't shot slides since 1962, perhaps ...............

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning series!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
Very nice. I haven't shot slides since 1962, perhaps ...............

To start again never too late I am great fun of slides.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful! Perfect setting for Kodachrome too. Love the flared one!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, gang, for the very kind comments. These indeed were taken with a Nikon F2 and the Nikkor 20mm K version, a lens that I unfortunately broke just a couple years ago (very sad). An interesting observation for me on these slides is the detail in the shadows on the last shot. This is precisely the kind of scene that would absolutely flummox my D300 -- it would blow out the highlights and leave the shadows so dark that it would be difficult to pull any detail from it. I haven't shot with a full-frame Nikon, so can't say if those would be better or not in this situation. It seems to me that current Canon bodies have the advantage in these situations.

So a question -- I'd like to try some slide film that would mirror (or better) the results from K64. What should I try?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
So a question -- I'd like to try some slide film that would mirror (or better) the results from K64. What should I try?

I found Fuji Provia 100 did works to me best. (I don't know any Kodakchrome)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful photos and yet more great examples of Kodachrome's awesomeness.

When I saw the title of this thread, I was assuming it was a still-life with a Mont Blanc fountain pen. Cool Shows you where my head's at. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:

Nothing can mirror Kodachrome. A truly unique film and development process.
Sadly gone forever.

If you can manage to scan it well, Fujichrome Velvia is very good, fine grained with rich colour saturation. Comes in 50 and 100 ISO's. I prefer the 50.
It is difficult to scan though, so I like Fujichrome Provia and Astia. Astia seems to be a bit warmer and better suited for people/portraits.

Some recent examples of Provia and Astia on my flickr (the Astia is the mushroom image):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/majorblack/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Velvia 50. It is of different character, and you need to master exposures as it oversaturates the dominant color channel - learn its characteristics first. You will like the results though.

gaeger wrote:
my D300 -- it would blow out the highlights and leave the shadows so dark that it would be difficult to pull any detail from it. I haven't shot with a full-frame Nikon, so can't say if those would be better or not in this situation. It seems to me that current Canon bodies have the advantage in these situations.

You are referring to dynamic range, and your perception is not entirely right: the first Canon body on DxOmark.com's dynamic range measurements for sensors is 1DS MkIII, position 27.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Sensor-rankings/%28type%29/usecase_landscape

This is not the practical truth however. Lightroom 3 is the dominant RAW converter on the market, and Adobe's Camera RAW handles Canon files much better than Sony, Nikon and others. 12 f-stops of dynamic range is more than enough, especially that 99% of image use is as 8-bit JPEG on quite modest computer screens...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
I love these "old photos on film" topics.

+1.

Mighty good photos. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these pictures, they give so mich atmosphere and great memories of similar settings. And this slide film magic, incredible. This once again shows us what we have lost by the victory of digital photography...

And the Nikkor 20mm F4 K of course, this is just the version I have. It is such a wonderful lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the mont-Blanc is on none of the pictures Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful, beautiful photographs ...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with above, beautiful scenery, beautiful memories, beautifully
captured. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm humbled.. 1986 was the year I left school and began my apprenticeship as a car mechanic.. many moons and gainful employments have passed since then.

Amazing photos, and no doubt amazing experiences.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are incredible! Sharp, deep colours...awesome Cool

Which 20mm Nikkor was it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, it was the K version, f4 non-AI.