Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

KMZ zm39 "P" Coated Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: KMZ zm39 "P" Coated Lenses Reply with quote

This collection took me a while to put together. While fairly common lenses, these versions are tough to find. They are some of the oldest zenit m39 that KMZ made. Most around here know I'm the KMZ nut, so here's a little proof. I still don't have the most common Industar 50, but that will be soon. It's just hard to justify when you have 5 without the "P."

Mir 1:

Industar 22:

Helios 44:

Helios 40:

Jupiter 9:

Tair 11:

~Marc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is KMZ's website page explaining the various symbols that they used on their lenses and cameras: http://www.zenitcamera.com/qa/qa-indexes.html The "P" "Enlightenment" coating is explained there. Just scroll down. I know links to the website have been posted here before but this particular page is somewhat hard to navigate to, so here is a quick go-to.

I do find the information interesting. From what I can gather, the official position on the symbol phase-out was because it simply indicated that a lens was coated. Its use became, in a sense, redundant because there was no such thing as uncoated optics being produced any longer. Having owned and used all these lenses and having owned and used many older zm39 lenses without the symbol, the coating present is very different. There is a much stronger, deeper blue/purple cast on "P" coated lenses. I cannot escape the reality that KMZ used a different coating type for these lenses. That is what drove me to collect them.

Last edited by themoleman342 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:36 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked WOW!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc - Nice lenses!

Also being a KMZ (and anything Russian) nut, you might be interested to hear about the boxed, cased 1962 Zenit 3 that arrived with `00' Helios attached.

I think the site you posted belongs to a guy that uses the ID Zoom on the USSRPhoto forum. If I remember correctly he used to work for KMZ or had some connection with them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also being a KMZ (and anything Russian) nut, you might be interested to hear about the boxed, cased 1962 Zenit 3 that arrived with `00' Helios attached.

Ah very nice! One of my favorite lenses. I've never actually handled the Zenit 3 but I hear its a bit bigger to the later krystal and 3m designs. Supposed to have a nice mirror to it. Perhaps a bit brighter?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size of the 3 & 3m is the same doing a side-by-side comparison. The VF does look brighter, but my 3m has had a hard life. I don't yet have the Krystal so I cannot compare.

When the forum is usable again, I'll post some pics.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as promised, the industar 50:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice collection of Russian lenses there. You should show us some photos taken with them. Thx.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am envy Marc Smile such a great collection!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

Marc, do you want to sell them all as a set?

I have a new hobby - M39 lenses with the red N Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
Awesome!

Marc, do you want to sell them all as a set?

I have a new hobby - M39 lenses with the red N Laughing

Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm not willing to sell. Market value does not reflect the relative rarity and special quality these lenses seem to give. I'd always regret selling them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...though maybe that little mark is getting a bit more recognition: Click here to see on Ebay
That's quite a bit more than the chrome ones usually go for.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Sorry, I'm not willing to sell. Market value does not reflect the relative rarity and special quality these lenses seem to give. I'd always regret selling them.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the latest addition to my collection. The Jupiter 11. A very common lens with the Kazan (KOMZ) symbol. KMZ is a bit harder to find for m39 SLR mount.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one , congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the newest addition and one of the final pieces I was after:

The Industar 24m! Quite a rare lens. This is the 35mm format version of the Industar 24 found on the Moskva 5 6x9 cameras.

Some references:
http://www.dvdtechcameras.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17

http://www.zenitcamera.com/archive/lenses/industar-24.html

http://www.ussrphoto.com/wiki/default.asp?WikiCatID=25&ParentID=2&ContentID=491