Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Catching Light
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Catching Light Reply with quote

Some studies:

Veijo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veijo, your studies are outstanding. Cool

I love your soft light pictures !
What is your light catcher in this case ?
Do you push the isos to the limit to have additional noise and obtain a part of this special and beautiful effect ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love them, especially #1

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful, especially the first 4 are top class.
Fine and subtle and rich in gradations and absolutely non-constructed, non-rhethoric and non-pretentious.
This is cream of the crop soft focus photography!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Veijo, your studies are outstanding. Cool

I love your soft light pictures !

Thanks Smile

Quote:
What is your light catcher in this case ?

My customary 105/4.5 Radionar, soft focused.

Quote:
Do you push the isos to the limit to have additional noise and obtain a part of this special and beautiful effect ?

I think the noise is mostly due to the rather excessive spherical aberrations as I shot at 100-400ISO and slightly pulled the dark end to increase global contrast.I also applied some local contrast enhancement, which may have caused a slight increase in noise, of course.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Love them, especially #1

Thanks Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Absolutely beautiful, especially the first 4 are top class.
Fine and subtle and rich in gradations and absolutely non-constructed, non-rhethoric and non-pretentious.
This is cream of the crop soft focus photography!

Thanks a lot Smile

Well, the first four were shot under easy conditions, the last four are more of a learning experiment as the small 350D viewfinder is no good for accurate focusing and judging the background effects in dim general lighting with strong OOF lights - one must learn by taking copious experimental shots and trying to adjust them during PP (although I'm much too lazy to go to the lengths some of the great names went in their wet darkrooms, I do only rather minor global adjustments, no localized effects.)

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning imagery. Pictures like this make me depressed as they remind me in very brutal way what a crappy photographer I am compared to the people with real talent. Simply amazing pictures!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shots with own character. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veijo, it's a pleasure to see you (or rather your shots) here again!
Shots that nobody else I know can accomplish in such a typical manner.
Could you tell us which lens you have used? I am sure it's one of your classic ones, right?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anu wrote:
Stunning imagery. Pictures like this make me depressed as they remind me in very brutal way what a crappy photographer I am compared to the people with real talent. Simply amazing pictures!

Thanks.

Well, what to say, I feel rather embarrassed reading comments like that. As I see it, for me it is in a way much easier to work with a soft focus lens although it isn't suitable for all kinds of subjects, no lens is. A sharp lens can be a yoke which forces me to too much concentrate on purely optical perfection, and it can become a veil between me and perception. No lens is perfect, a panacea, and I've learned a lot by alternating between lenses and types of lenses, by taking just a single lens with me for a walk. On every walk there are moments when I bump into the limitations of the particular lens I have with me, it is is inevitable and it drives home the message, and in my mind's eye I see the "perfect" photos I'd have taken. Sometimes I even leave the camera at home and take just mental photos - with different lenses, real or ideal. Slowly I learn to see and perceive. The most difficult thing, however, is getting rid of preconceptions, finding something really my own.

Veijo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF-addicted wrote:
Beautiful shots with own character. Very Happy

Thanks Smile

Veijo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Veijo, it's a pleasure to see you (or rather your shots) here again!

Shots that nobody else I know can accomplish in such a typical manner.

Thaks Smile

Quote:
Could you tell us which lens you have used? I am sure it's one of your classic ones, right?

Yes, it is the 105/4.5 Radionar.

Veijo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, 1 (!), 3 and 4 my favorites. Inspiring stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely, dreamy quality these have.