Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Patience is my friend-sometimes.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Patience is my friend-sometimes. Reply with quote

I had bought a Praktica camera with a Pancolar "Star Wars" lens from ebay back in January from a seller claiming it was an "estate sale". Long story short the camera and lens had serious fungus damage-the lens was uncleanable- as posted:

http://forum.mflenses.com/is-there-help-for-me-t23921.html

I cleaned ,lubricated and learned from the dissemble project. I saved all components except the badly pitted lens. I have subconsciously been keeping my eyes open for a similar Pancolar lens with complementary parts-maybe as a parts lens.
I have finally found one in Exakta mount instead of Praktica(M42) mount ,that I believe was in the price range. Not having any experience swapping Exakta mount(with the auto diaphragm arm), with M42 I was shooting in the dark hoping for the best(no risk no gain Very Happy).

The lens with Exakta mount & arm

My old lens body, sans lens mount and elements

Took Exakta mount off to compare template-looked exaktly the same.All screw holes line up.

While I had the opportunity I disabled the auto diaphragm linking pin with -white plastic sleeve cut to fit the pin.

I screwed the M42 from old Pancolar on to the new Pancolar lens body and screwed down the lens mount cover.

I am happy with the way things turned out- and now I have a beautiful Pancolar "Starwars" lens in M42 mount. Lucky for me swapping mounts in this manner worked with this lens. My patience has yeilded positive results- I'll be checking its performance soon Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Kathmandu on Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!! Patience does pay off...for you and us...great documentation.Looking forward to the test images. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks-

Here are some sample images:

http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-pancolar-50mm-f2-t33022.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
Thanks-

Those are very nice images. Well done on such a nice lens.

For me, however, I do not particularly like the "glow" in #1 around the snowy mountain.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I saw those a very nice result.You must be happy!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Kathmandu wrote:
Thanks-

Those are very nice images. Well done on such a nice lens.

For me, however, I do not particularly like the "glow" in #1 around the snowy mountain.

Thanks-I know what you mean, you have a keen eye -I had other images with the Pancolar that had the "glow on the peak" you refer too.I should have stopped it down to f5.6 and/or used a filter .

What do you think makes it like that? and what could I do to fix that?

mo wrote:
Very Happy I saw those a very nice result.You must be happy!

Thanks, Smiling cheek to cheek here as it worked out good for me . Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably had the lens at the 2 F stop (wide open) It gets that glow when I do that...I think it's what you call soft?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
You probably had the lens at the 2 F stop (wide open) It gets that glow when I do that...I think it's what you call soft?

I'm not sure I would describe it as soft. I think it is a type of CA. I have the Helios 40 lookalike (Cyclops) and this lens exhibits the same thing. Not a problem, more of a feature.

HERE are a couple of examples from my lens