Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil Munchen Culminar 85/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Steinheil Munchen Culminar 85/2.8 Reply with quote

This is a really old, yet beautiful looking crome pre-set M42 portrait lens, and seeing as I was going to Furzey Gardens anyway, thought I'd take it along for the ride.

I had some surprises! This lens is soft and glows a bit wide open, as expected, but the wacky bokeh is incredible! It jumps all over the place!

Wide open

100% crop

100% bokeh crop

Wide open

50% crop

Wide open

50% crop

At F4, things sharpen up a bit. The bokeh becomes smooth.

F4

100% crop

And now for another surprise...the lens is really good at infinity!

F5.6

100% crop

A very interesting little lens!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This an excellent lens as almost all 85mm , I did love mine to. I like best infinity example.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila. I should mention that I have applied no pp other than the standard RAW conversion. Some extra contrast and slight sharpening would do these images the world of good!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lovely lens, in expert hands. Thanks for sharing. And it's all aluminium Smile Where can I get one?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look at f/4 and the inifity sample+crop do look great. It doesn't have much microcontrast so it has a nice soft look.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very nice lens indeed.

So, I take it that the M42 version reaches infinity without mirror problems?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Yes, very nice lens indeed.

So, I take it that the M42 version reaches infinity without mirror problems?

Yep, no probs with the 5D Smile