Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Seven 50s compared.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Seven 50s compared. Reply with quote

I Shot the same frame with seven 50 something FL this morning to compare the results since it is a current topic here on the forum. All were shot @ f4.0 so not to shoot any lens wide open. Focus was set on the statue forehead. All pics have had identical minimal treatment.

1. Minolta Celtic 50/3.5 macro

2. Minolta 50/1.4

3. Sears 50/2

4. Industar 50/3.5

5. Takumar 55/1.8

6. Minolta 55/1.7

7. Helios 44-2 58/2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results. Helios looks really good Smile Actually Helios corners are not sharp at all. At least it were on several Helioses I've tried.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First pass, examining certain minute details on my own PC, I'd say they are all nearly indistinguishable except for the Celtic which was softer. There was a difference in bokeh in two others, but in sharpness, I thought only the Sears stood up to the Minolta f/1.4. But again, the differences were minute. I was careful not to mistake image size for sharpness. However, even after that conclusion of my own, I think you could introduce pictures from several and we would not be able to identify the lens without lucky guess. f/4 is an equalizer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios does look a little soft on the edges, but overall they look pretty close. Good review. thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you for this post. The results are really very useful for me in that they demonstrate how slight are the differences between the various lenses.

Now I need to ponder on which bokeh I find the most attractive and for that I need a few minutes more......

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for this post. The results are really very useful for me in that they demonstrate how slight are the differences between the various lenses.

Now I need to ponder on which bokeh I find the most attractive and for that I need a few minutes more......

The bokeh of the Canon 50/1.4 is very pleasant if you are looking for the creamy bokeh. May be only Sigma 50/1.4 is better in this department IMHO. You can find some lens comparison here http://gallery.me.com/om1er#gallery

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
First pass, examining certain minute details on my own PC, I'd say they are all nearly indistinguishable except for the Celtic which was softer. There was a difference in bokeh in two others, but in sharpness, I thought only the Sears stood up to the Minolta f/1.4. But again, the differences were minute. I was careful not to mistake image size for sharpness. However, even after that conclusion of my own, I think you could introduce pictures from several and we would not be able to identify the lens without lucky guess. f/4 is an equalizer.

I feel relieved, because I'm not able to distinguish any real differences in terms of image quality or sharpness. Sure, the bokeh is different from one to the other (my personal preference goes to the Takumar and the Helios) but the foreground is barely identical in my eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments guys.

The Celtic Macro is not good for other than close work methinks. I find the Minolta 50/1.4 maybe edges out the others & I also like the Helios 44-2. But on the whole, there is little difference between all of them @ f4.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with sherlock. Exact same file size.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I screwed up somehow, the Minolta 55/1.7 is the wrong file & I cannot edit the post to correct it. Here is the correct pic:

Perhaps Admin can put it into the original post in place of the one wrongfully there.

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly wouldn't want to make a living on the difference in these lenses at f4.

Revers, would you consider doing these again wide open with a hood at least for the Minolta f1.4, f1.7 and Tak f1.8?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue wrote:
I certainly wouldn't want to make a living on the difference in these lenses at f4.

Revers, would you consider doing these again wide open with a hood at least for the Minolta f1.4, f1.7 and Tak f1.8?

And hope I do not screw up again. Maybe tomorrow Blue.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit duplicate

Last edited by revers on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit duplicate

Last edited by revers on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit duplicate