Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica M on R body, why make an adapter if it doesn't work!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Leica M on R body, why make an adapter if it doesn't work!! Reply with quote

I recently bought a Leica 6 Bit Elmarit-M 28/2.8 ASPH to use on my modified Sigma SD14 with Leica R mount. I purchased a Leica 14167 R - M adapter and fitted them up, i get nothing but a totally out of focus viewfinder!

Why does this adapter from Leica exist if the lenses registration distances vary so much.

In a way i am grateful that it didn't work because i was starting to covet an M9..

Do any of the M lenses work on R bodies?

Here are a couple of pics of the lens mounted on the body.

Taken with Pancolar 80/1.8

Taken with SMC Tak 50/1.4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Leica M on R body, why make an adapter if it doesn't wor Reply with quote

The Leica 14167 R - M adapter is designed for adapting Visoflex M lens to Leicaflex SL and R cameras.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Calvin,

Thanks for the reply. My body is essentially an R body (in regards to registration distance), and from what i believe all M lenses are the same in regards to registration distance, so any old rangefinder lenses will work on a current M9.

Or do i have this all wrong? Is there another adapter that would allow the M to work on my body??

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leica R (and your modified SD14, too) has a 47mm and Leica M has a 27,8mm registration. There is absolutly no way to use M lenses on R-Bodies, except for extreme close-up photography.

Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpo83 wrote:
Hi Calvin,

Thanks for the reply. My body is essentially an R body (in regards to registration distance), and from what i believe all M lenses are the same in regards to registration distance, so any old rangefinder lenses will work on a current M9.

Or do i have this all wrong? Is there another adapter that would allow the M to work on my body??

Old Lecia m39 rangefinder lens will work on Lecia M camera since the register distance of M mount is shorter than m39. The register distance of R mount is much longer than the M mount so it is not possible to reach infinity with such adaptation.

Some early lenses has a removable lens head could be adapted to Visoflex mount by a special focusing tube. However, there is no hope for any M mount lens with "-M" in their name.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why does the adapter exist?? !!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Leica M on R body, why make an adapter if it doesn't wor Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The Leica 14167 R - M adapter is designed for adapting Visoflex M lens to Leicaflex SL and R cameras.

Calvin already gave you the answer Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm,

when you are not conversant with the old Leitz stuff, it gets a little confusing Embarassed

Looks like they will be up for sale then!

Thanks Guys.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm right, the visoflex system is a kind of reflex system to use on leicas, that sits between a special lens (to get the needed register distance) and your leica body, and that allows to see trough the lens, as you would do with a SLR Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as CarbonR said, the old Leitz Visoflex lenses have a big register distance (68.8mm, vs the 27.8mm of your M lens), that's why your adapter is so deep and why you are not able to focus ...

Time to start a fight for a Visoflex lens Wink ?

Cheers