Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I could not wait another two weeks - -
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: I could not wait another two weeks - - Reply with quote

- - for an adapter to try out my Helios 44-2. I thought I was set because I have a M42 to PK adapter that worked with other M42 mount lenses but the 44-2 has a very small diameter seat & it backs onto the M42-PK adapter & not onto the PK adapter. Well this allows the lens to flop about when mounted so I ordered a M42 to m4/3 adapter which will take a minimum two weeks to come. I got the idea to make a washer that would transfer the seat of the lens onto the PK mount as my other M42s do. I took some brass shim-stock to make the washer.

1. First I scored the outside diameter

2. Next I cut out the inside diameter

3. After going back & cutting through the outside diameter I drilled a hole for the locking pin. I used a fraction drill that was too big & allowed the lens/washer to have play when focusing & I re-drilled with a #40 bit that gave a better fit.

4. Now the lens does not flop about but it is upside-down. Sad

Next post I will show the first pis with this temporary fix.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Minimum focus distance @ f2

2. Minimum focus distance @ f5.6

3. f5.6

4. f5.6

5. f5.6

6. f5.6

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW.
Ron, that's GREAT.

Do you reach infinity ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
WOW.
Ron, that's GREAT.

Do you reach infinity ?

Not quite sure, but if not, it is very close.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a good one. You are blessed with a machinist's talent - and the proper tools ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Ron! Great job!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I am a hobby woodworker not machinist but I do have a machinist quality drill press. I have made much of the furniture in our house.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat job Ron.
I like your tools.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's great to be able (and have the tools) to build your own adapters. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need guys like you working on a solution to the Gull oil debacle....

BTW....I love seeing creative ingenuity in action! Very Happy

...by just another big kid who has used the resources at hand to implement a working solution.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took it out for a walk in town today & just left it @ f 5.6.

3. Something new for me, a first time shooting street pics.

4. In this shot I had the lens cranked to infinity. What do you think, do I have infinity focus?

It's too bad the damn lens is upside-down though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used these tools and it takes great patience. Great job and a hard worker.
Congratulations.
Nice shots

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on taking the solution into your own hands and enjoying your lens - I did notice one thing however. I can't see a difference at all between your first two shots, at least not enough to show the difference between f2 and 5.6. Not having used the 44-2 myself, but having the 40-2, I wonder if you have only set the pre-set for the aperture, but not actually closed it down?

K.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not infinity, it's quite close!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thePiRaTE!! wrote:
Congrats on taking the solution into your own hands and enjoying your lens - I did notice one thing however. I can't see a difference at all between your first two shots, at least not enough to show the difference between f2 and 5.6. Not having used the 44-2 myself, but having the 40-2, I wonder if you have only set the pre-set for the aperture, but not actually closed it down?

K.

I see a difference but there may be a bit of what you said going on. First use & all. That close-down ring is a pain in the butt & quite free wheeling on my copy. On the G1 I don't need the lens opened up to focus.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work, Ron.
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:

I see a difference but there may be a bit of what you said going on. First use & all. That close-down ring is a pain in the butt & quite free wheeling on my copy. On the G1 I don't need the lens opened up to focus.

It's touchy on the 40-2 as well, quite easy to have the aperture attenuate in handling (Biotar too for that matter). If I am in my 'bokeh mode', I lock it open, but generally have gotten used to having it range from open to f4. Since the habit has formed, I appreciate having the continuous selection available, however.

Continued success!

K.