Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I could not wait another two weeks - -
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: I could not wait another two weeks - - Reply with quote

- - for an adapter to try out my Helios 44-2. I thought I was set because I have a M42 to PK adapter that worked with other M42 mount lenses but the 44-2 has a very small diameter seat & it backs onto the M42-PK adapter & not onto the PK adapter. Well this allows the lens to flop about when mounted so I ordered a M42 to m4/3 adapter which will take a minimum two weeks to come. I got the idea to make a washer that would transfer the seat of the lens onto the PK mount as my other M42s do. I took some brass shim-stock to make the washer.

1. First I scored the outside diameter

2. Next I cut out the inside diameter

3. After going back & cutting through the outside diameter I drilled a hole for the locking pin. I used a fraction drill that was too big & allowed the lens/washer to have play when focusing & I re-drilled with a #40 bit that gave a better fit.

4. Now the lens does not flop about but it is upside-down. Sad

Next post I will show the first pis with this temporary fix.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Minimum focus distance @ f2

2. Minimum focus distance @ f5.6

3. f5.6

4. f5.6

5. f5.6

6. f5.6

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW.
Ron, that's GREAT.

Do you reach infinity ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
WOW.
Ron, that's GREAT.

Do you reach infinity ?

Not quite sure, but if not, it is very close.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a good one. You are blessed with a machinist's talent - and the proper tools ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Ron! Great job!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I am a hobby woodworker not machinist but I do have a machinist quality drill press. I have made much of the furniture in our house.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat job Ron.
I like your tools.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's great to be able (and have the tools) to build your own adapters. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need guys like you working on a solution to the Gull oil debacle....

BTW....I love seeing creative ingenuity in action! Very Happy

...by just another big kid who has used the resources at hand to implement a working solution.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took it out for a walk in town today & just left it @ f 5.6.

3. Something new for me, a first time shooting street pics.

4. In this shot I had the lens cranked to infinity. What do you think, do I have infinity focus?

It's too bad the damn lens is upside-down though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used these tools and it takes great patience. Great job and a hard worker.
Congratulations.
Nice shots

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on taking the solution into your own hands and enjoying your lens - I did notice one thing however. I can't see a difference at all between your first two shots, at least not enough to show the difference between f2 and 5.6. Not having used the 44-2 myself, but having the 40-2, I wonder if you have only set the pre-set for the aperture, but not actually closed it down?

K.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not infinity, it's quite close!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thePiRaTE!! wrote:
Congrats on taking the solution into your own hands and enjoying your lens - I did notice one thing however. I can't see a difference at all between your first two shots, at least not enough to show the difference between f2 and 5.6. Not having used the 44-2 myself, but having the 40-2, I wonder if you have only set the pre-set for the aperture, but not actually closed it down?

K.

I see a difference but there may be a bit of what you said going on. First use & all. That close-down ring is a pain in the butt & quite free wheeling on my copy. On the G1 I don't need the lens opened up to focus.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work, Ron.
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:

I see a difference but there may be a bit of what you said going on. First use & all. That close-down ring is a pain in the butt & quite free wheeling on my copy. On the G1 I don't need the lens opened up to focus.

It's touchy on the 40-2 as well, quite easy to have the aperture attenuate in handling (Biotar too for that matter). If I am in my 'bokeh mode', I lock it open, but generally have gotten used to having it range from open to f4. Since the habit has formed, I appreciate having the continuous selection available, however.

Continued success!

K.