Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Viewfinder for flash shoe
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Viewfinder for flash shoe Reply with quote

I bought one, it is well contrasted, but the measurements are wrong. Like, it says 6-9 meters when they're actually 4.
Do you know if these objects can be calibrated? There are two little screws to open the box.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you mean external range finder ? Yes, you can calibrate them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio
I have an 1 page manual from one old german accessory rangefinder (watameter brand) at home. I can scan it and post it later today - there is a description how to calibrate it there .. if it is useful for you.

BR,
Stefan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, the usual way to calibrate a simple rangefinder is to check that:

* vertical alignment is correct, if not fix it first, usually it's a screw behind the rf mirror (the one behind the rf window, not the semitransparent one behind the vf)

* horizontal alignment at infinity is correct, usually fixed with a dedicated screw

Your best bet is to open it, and check the mechanism: external rangefinders are usually really simple, and with it open you'll immediately spot the alignment screws.

Sometimes vertical alignment is registered by rotating a lens between the rf mirror and the semitransparent mirror. On the other hand, really simple rangefinders often have no screw to register the vertical alignment, and the only way is to slightly bend the rf mirror (not the semitransparent one behind the vf).

In doubt, post pics.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ludoo
THe alignment is perfect. It's the distances that are wrong.
Can I fix the distances?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thanks Ludoo
Can I fix the distances?

Strange. You mean infinity is perfect, and distances get progressively screwed up focusing near? It should not happen. If it is so, I think you'll have to open it up and post pics of the insides.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
Orio wrote:
Thanks Ludoo
Can I fix the distances?

Strange. You mean infinity is perfect, and distances get progressively screwed up focusing near? It should not happen. If it is so, I think you'll have to open it up and post pics of the insides.

It's the other way around. They are decent (but not perfect) close, and more and more wrong in the distance.
I don't understand, I did not mention that, I just would like to know if it's possible to fix the distance. Aligment is ok.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
ludoo wrote:
Orio wrote:
Thanks Ludoo
Can I fix the distances?

It's the other way around. They are decent (but not perfect) close, and more and more wrong in the distance.
I don't understand, I did not mention that, I just would like to know if it's possible to fix the distance. Aligment is ok, the overimposed images are clear.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I don't understand, I did not mention that, I just would like to know if it's possible to fix the distance. Aligment is ok.

Hmmmm, open it and post pics so that we can brainstorm the issue. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm thinking about it more, what you are saying is that alignment is off at infinity. Put the distances dial at infinity, then register alignment until it's perfect. Then check near distances and let us know.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, if I feel brave enough I will try. I hope just not to move the wrong screw Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thanks, if I feel brave enough I will try. I hope just not to move the wrong screw Shocked

Just use the right screwdriver and don't force anything, and you won't break anything. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
Orio wrote:

Just use the right screwdriver and don't force anything, and you won't break anything. Smile

the unsaid: mark or take photos of original settings to reset later if necessary!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the manual.
hope it helps if it's from the same type.

Click on the pix for good resolution.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really a Watameter! How could you know?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtlander works , rest of it don't Laughing I bought a few ones only Voigtlander did work

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Watameters are quite common - i have 2 pieces - one in meters and one in ft.

Adjustment should be very simple just turn the small wheel until you got the distances right.

BR,
Stefan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Orio wrote:

Watameters are quite common - i have 2 pieces - one in meters and one in ft.

Adjustment should be very simple just turn the small wheel until you got the distances right.

BR,
Stefan

Sorry, what small wheel? Is it inside?
I can't see any wheel on the outside (except for the one that serves for focusing).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Sorry, what small wheel? Is it inside?
I can't see any wheel on the outside (except for the one that serves for focusing).

it's like a small knob on top of the big wheel you use to measure distance.
not my picture but you can get the idea.