Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Very long telephoto (300mm+) recommendations?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Very long telephoto (300mm+) recommendations? Reply with quote

After my seal pictures this week, I stopped thinking that I'd never be in a position where I wanted anything longer than 600mm equivalent... But now I do: any suggestions? I'm on a budget so nothing more than ?200 at the maximum Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Very long telephoto (300mm+) recommendations? Reply with quote

Puplet wrote:
After my seal pictures this week, I stopped thinking that I'd never be in a position where I wanted anything longer than 600mm equivalent... But now I do: any suggestions? I'm on a budget so nothing more than ?200 at the maximum Smile

Look for an old Takumar 500/4.5 lens. You should be able to find one within your budget: there is one for sale on Keh.com for $325 in "ugly" condition (you'd better inquire first regarding the defects, but I got mine in "ugly" condition too and it had only 3 small spots on an internal lens which were easy to clean). It is a fine lens, reasonably fast. The only problem is that it is huge and heavy. Add the weight of the compulsory steady tripod and you end up with something that you won't carry around on your next mountain trek Laughing

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 tamron SP mirror may be a good starting point and well within your budget.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the longest lens in your experience ? An 500mm glass lens almost unusable,they are heavy like hell always need to use massive tripod.An 500mm mirror lens should fine choice. From glass lens my maximum recommended focal length is 400mm.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the suggestions so far: which 400mm would you go for, Atilla?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 more suggestions :
the telemegor 400 mm I got for a few euros on ebay : heavy , not very sharp but in your budget ...
the telemegor 500 mm more heavy and more expensive ...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telemegor 500mm (Pentacon) unusable long and heavy I had for 2 weeks. No way to handle a 3,5 kg lens except with very massive tripod.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Telemegor 500mm (Pentacon) unusable long and heavy I had for 2 weeks. No way to handle a 3,5 kg lens except with very massive tripod.

A friend of mine told me the same (LeFanch)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Yashica mirror lens ml 500mm f8 (fixxed aperature). So far I have only taken B+W photos with it. It of course gives you the funky doughnut shaped highlights that many people hate (all mirror designs do this). You mentioned capturing some seals. This highlight problem is especially an issue around water. You can get one pretty cheap and sell if you don't like. Make sure if you buy a mirror lens to get the integrated filters with it. Not all have this filter system. Mine you slide the filters into a slot in the rear of lens near the mount.
If you have a nice big budget KEH seems to always have some Contax 300mm tele tessar in stock starting around $300. There are other 300's maybe just as nice someone else can reccomend.
There is no real discussion about tele converters on this forum. Mostly my opinion is that teleconverters are crap for IQ. There is one that is highly rated, the Contax zeiss Mutar II. My wife likes to use teleconverters because of convenience she has the Mutar II and it is very useful. It stays mostly on a viv 70-210 and the sharpness is very, very good. It came with a contax 167 "kit" off ebay an unexpected surprise. I think you can buy one for a couple hundred USD.