Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vega 28b - Old Lens -New Member
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Vega 28b - Old Lens -New Member Reply with quote

Hello, I posted as a new member over on the Photography Cafe' page. I gave a little background on my use of the Pentax 645 and a couple of the Vega lenses that I have in my cadre of lenses.

There were THREE previous tries to find a good Vega28b 120mm lens, and I finally got the luck on my side with this one. But, that's half the fun! I knew that I would find one sooner or later in the mix of erratic quality control! Haha!

Anyway, this lens is just very nice and sharp. It renders a little on the cool side. A good carry-around lens because of its small size for a 120.

These are a couple of images to show an approximation of the "real world" look of the lens. I tried to scan true to the chromes, and didn't do any manipulation other than some minor cropping and sharpening, and of course a little bit of "framing".

Anyway, the lens is certainly a "keeper".

First image: Anemones out on the Olympic coast. It was a cold day, and the shadows were heavy. The blue and purple tones are true to what was there.

Second image: A closeup of a pine bough against a Madrona tree. Used the Vega 28b with a 14mm closeup tube to see what kind of results I mmight get. Came out decent.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images! and i love the "framing" too.

Of course at this size it's difficult to tell anything about the details. Do you have 100% crops available to show?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Orio said, great framing, too! Very interesting the first pic, how does
the saying go? "The anemone of my anemone is my friend." Something
like that... Wink What town are you from in Washington? I haven't been
there since 1988 when I was stationed at Subase Bangor. BTW, I'm new
to medium format and hope to learn some things as you obviously are
a skilled shooter! Welcome! Smile

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Great images! and i love the "framing" too.

Of course at this size it's difficult to tell anything about the details. Do you have 100% crops available to show?

By gosh, you are right! I didn't even think of presenting a representative crop of the image. I'll go look and see if I can add to the post in the next day or so. Thanks for looking!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
As Orio said, great framing, too! Very interesting the first pic, how does
the saying go? "The anemone of my anemone is my friend." Something
like that... Wink What town are you from in Washington? I haven't been
there since 1988 when I was stationed at Subase Bangor. BTW, I'm new
to medium format and hope to learn some things as you obviously are
a skilled shooter! Welcome! Smile

Bill

Bill! I live in Port Orchard, a skip and a jump from Bangor. My sis-in-law works there. I go by there often, as I sometimes work weekends for a friend up on Bainbridge Island. Also, when I head for the north Olympic peninsula, I of course go by there.

I'm not all that skilled, but have been shooting for the past 25 years, at least more seriously than when I was younger.

I have a Revuenon (Chinon) 135mm 2.8 screw mount lens. But...no camera! Hahaha! I plan on getting a cheap body and satisfy my curiosity about some of the fine M42 glass out there.

I also have a digicam, just a Minolta A-1 that I'll take on a longer off-trail trips. The Pentax is okay for shorter hikes or overnight hikes, but is too much for me for week long trips out in the high country.

Here's a shot with the Minolta glass from the A-1. It's a digicam as mentioned above, but the lens is nice and sharp.

And, I'll take a cue from Orio above, and start showing some full crops which will give a better idea of various lens's capabilities.

Thanks for looking in on me here!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence, between you and Bob, you're killing me with these flower pics!
Just beautiful. Edit: read your post again, Minolta A1, nice pic!

Yep, know where Port Orchard is, I lived in Bremerton when I was stationed there. The whole area is nice and lush from all the rain you get!

Thanks for sharing these Smile

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful captures!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*wow*
Wonderful shots, thanks very much for showing. And I like the effect of your framing too. I'm shure these would be truly an asset for every wall if printed VERY large.

A welcome here from my side also. I'm curious about the results of the russian medium format lenses. My experiences are limited to the standard 35mm lenses until now.

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, I appreciate the nice feedback. Wow, Attila! Are all those lenses yours? A GREAT collection!

Regarding the medium format Russian glass, I am expecting a Tair 300 soon, hoping to determine if it's a keeper. I'll post shots (with 100% crops) when I receive the lens. Also, I'll post some shots from the venerable, rather clunky, but crisp Vega 12b 90mm lens.

Last edited by Laurence on Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing these nice shots!

Carsten