Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

UV filter - Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: UV filter - Question Reply with quote

This one is for my canadian fellas Very Happy

Where can I find an UV filter, the one that could be attached to a lamp in order to remove the fungus?
I have a M42 80-200 Praktica intoxicated.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UV won't actually clean it, but enough of it will stop the fungal growth and even kill it. I used a Metal Halide 400W lamp shining through a couple of slightly fungused lenses for several days and it did manage to kill the fungus, but the spots are still there. Only way to clean it out is to strip the lens down.

I've just set it up again, to lightly bake a 135 Pentacon, which is showing some slight splotching on the inside of the rear element. This will buy me some time until I can get around to stripping and cleaning it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right.
The idea is to kill the fungus first in order to ease the removing aspect.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before cleaning and remove coating with cleaning if lens is coated I suggest to you store in seperate dry box under low humidity. If fungus not growing chance is 100% if stored in right environment you don't need to worry.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The use of UV rays are a great way to rid a takumar of "yellowing" as well.