Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

UV Filter Question - Not the normal one!! :-)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: UV Filter Question - Not the normal one!! :-) Reply with quote

Given that a lot of older legacy lenses don't have coatings that are as good as those out now, I was wondering if anyone has tried adding filters such as the Zeiss T* Coated UV filters to single coated or otherwise coating-compromised lenses, and does it make a difference (contrast/flare/etc)?

They are expensive, but so are the newer and better MC lenses in some lines.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this as a recomenndation, but it is nonsense for avoiding flare.
It sure can make sense to protect the lens from dust, humidity, small impacts. For heavy impacts I suppose the lens is more stable as the filter. The later can break and scratch the lens.

The filter ring itself can reduce some stray light / flare simple because it acts like a small hood.

On a lens with no coating much (~4% vor vertical incident, with larger incident angle more) light is reflected back to the object and surroundings. Even a very good coated filter will reflect some of this light back into the lens. Without the filter there is no such wrong reflection.

So for stray-light / flare reduction you better buy the filter, remove the glass, and use the filter-ring as a small hood Wink
Or buy a real hood and use it.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like what Markus said, hood in the front or baffle on the back of the lens can reduce stray-light. Filter is more suited as a protector.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UV filters make good sence for film which is sensitive to UV. Digital is not so they won't be any help for that.
Even the best multi coating on the filter won't change the reflections in the lens so no gain there either.

An extra surface further foreward is more likely to catch light from the side, increasing the chance of flare.

Last edited by DConvert on Thu May 28, 2015 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good info, thank you. I was speaking more to specific coating such as the T* coating, rather than just generic UV filters as such. Maybe there's not really any difference between them, if not, excellent, I can buy another lens instead of a filter. Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meanwhile wrote:
All good info, thank you. I was speaking more to specific coating such as the T* coating, rather than just generic UV filters as such. Maybe there's not really any difference between them, if not, excellent, I can buy another lens instead of a filter. Smile

If you need to have a filter, the better coating will reduce the problems the filter adds, and perhaps ease cleaning.

Given the price of top filters you could probably buy 5 old manual lenses instead without any difficulty!
I've got over 10 lenses in my collection that cost under £5 each Smile