Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Using Nikkor lenses on Pentax DSLRs!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Using Nikkor lenses on Pentax DSLRs! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I just found these two threads!

http://photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00UUdW

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=6817

Sounds very interesting, especially as I'm getting a Samsung GX 20 this weekend!

I haven't found out yet if it's working but it would be absolutely cool if I wouldn't have to sell my Ai-S 300mm Nikkor and just use it on my new Samsung.

Does anyone of you has experiences with this? Does the 300mm Ai-S work?

ciao,

Karhallarn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't have a lens like your Nikkor 300, nor i actually know someone to borrow from, but:

Here is the Nikkor adapter for an M42 body (i use it with my M42 to Pentax-K adapter):

Here is a Nikkor-O 35/2 directly mounted on my K10D, without the adapter:

Notice the position of the "rabbit ears" of the lens ...

Here are a sample pic from a Micro Nikkor 55/3.5 mounted with the adapter:

Note that the my adapter doesn't have a correcting glass inside, so i have no infinity focus when i use my Nikkors on my Pentax.

The old Nikkors mount is quite similar to the Pentax one (it seems that the old Nikkor-S 24/2.8 even locks in!), you should be able to mount the lens directly but without locking it, so i would be careful when using the 300mm Nikkor (the longest Nikkor i use without the adapter is a Nikkor-Q 135/2.8 ) ...

Hope this helps

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used many Nikon-mount lenses on my Pentax K100D

The old ones seem to go on quite firmly. Some are so secure that you can safely walk around with the lens so mounted.

The Nikkor-Q's and Nikkor-H series seem quite secure.

Third-party lenses in Nikon mount also mount quite well usually. Even Nikon T-mounts work, though there is no good reason to do this.

Some Nikon lenses are not secure however, like the very well regarded Nikon-E 75-150 zoom. But the equally fine Nikon E 50/1.8 mounts quite well.

So its impossible to predict what will work, though the odds are good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thank you!

Is it safe to try out anyway? Or is it possible to damage the camera or lens? Is the mirror free?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done this without damage on a Pentax K100D DSLR, an LX and SF10 film cameras. I can't say whether there would be damage to some bodies or some lenses. You have to proceed carefully. Don't force anything.

I never saw a problem with the mirror, though it is theoretically possible on a Pentax body as the lens is being mounted 1mm closer to the film plane than on a Nikon. If you have a lens with a projecting rear element you should be careful.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok! Thank you luisalegria!

I will try it! The rear of the 300mm looks pretty unspectacular compared to some other nikkors.

Has any of you ever changed the mount of a Nikon lens to Pentax? Heard it works pretty easily!

If so, how is it done and where do you get your mounts from?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karhallarn wrote:
Has any of you ever changed the mount of a Nikon lens to Pentax? Heard it works pretty easily!

If so, how is it done and where do you get your mounts from?

I've recently converted a Nikkor-Q 135mm f/2.8 to M42 mount. With this particular lens the conversion involved moving the part that stops down the aperture from the mount to inside the lens itself, re-adjusting focus (one could just leave it be and go past infinity, though), and attaching the replacement mount with the original mount's screws. The replacement mount was taken from a broken M42 lens, sanded down to lie flat on the new lens, and drilled with new screw-holes.

Many other Nikkors may be easier, i.e. not requiring the aperture control to be moved.

(Note that if you want to convert directly to some DSLR mount, instead of M42, the obvious source for a replacement mount is a flanged, glassless M42 adapter for that mount. Ignore the M42 part and you have a mount that's already machined flat for you.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had bought a Nikkor-N.C f2.8/24mm and it fits my Pentax very well ( http://forum.mflenses.com/nikkor-n-c-auto-f2-8-24mm-t21062.html#182057 )
and I am happy that it does, because my Vivitar 2/24 in F mount fits very badly, hardly stays on, and if it does the aperture ring cannot turned fully.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the 300mm today and after it first seemed to not work anyway, I managed to attach it and take some pictures. The metering works but the camera meters only every second time and the Nikkor sits very unstable on my Samsung. I think Iw ill try to get a Pentax mount from a converter or something like this and try to convert my Nikkor!

cheers,

Karhallarn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in french but can be interesting : http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/Photonumerique/Objectifs/adaptation-objectifs-bagues-sujet_12101_10.htm#t2247119

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the link! With my 12mm extension tube it works!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works!

Today I took away the aperture prongs on my Nikkor 300mm and now it sits tidely on my Samsung GX 20!

You can't stop it down on Nikon DSLRs anymore and I still have to drill a hole for the holdingpin of the pentax mount but it works!

Looking forward to take real life samples!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that french link CarbonR..

he says Nikkors, OM and Leica lenses are easily adapted for Pentax K mount.

Do I understand correctly that:
- pre Ai Nikkors mostly go without modification, if Ai to remove the protruding parts on the outer ring of the lens mount + drilling a small nudge to lock? hm..how to make out the exact location of that nudge?
- if modifying the camera mount as shown they fit better, lock?

- OM lenses..go directly but only if the camera mount has been modified as shown?

- Leica lenses: He talks about C/Y mount lenses here, yes? - simply change the lens mount to M42 mount? ( hm..why the expensive Leitax then..)

does reducing the camera mount as shown effect the fit of K mount lenses?
Does anybody here have experience with this?
I find it a bit scary to screw off the mount from the camera. Won't there be electrical connections? parts that could fall off?
I wonder: Could one also go the other route, reducing the mounts of the F mount lenses?

thank you for any clarification.
( we should try to get a good documentation of these conversions here on mflenses )

best regards,
Andreas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

- pre Ai Nikkors mostly go without modification, if Ai to remove the protruding parts on the outer ring of the lens mount + drilling a small nudge to lock? hm..how to make out the exact location of that nudge?

Correct. I'm using a Nikkor 24mm NonAi without mount modification and a Nikon-E 100mm Ai. On the last one, I sanded the (plastic) protruding parts and removed the screw. The fit is quite tight for both lenses and I didn't bother drilling a locking hole. To make out the hole location, you could use a flanged M42-K adapter as template.

Quote:
OM lenses..go directly but only if the camera mount has been modified as shown?

They don't fit without modification but if you are reluctant to modify your camera mount, the lens mount can easily be swapped with the flanged M42-K adapter. I've done it with a Zuiko 50mm f1.8.

Quote:
- Leica lenses: He talks about C/Y mount lenses here, yes? - simply change the lens mount to M42 mount? ( hm..why the expensive Leitax then..)

I don't have any Leica lens and thus I couldn't try. He says that the lens can be adapted by removing 3 shims and swapping the mount with a flanged M42-K adapter. At least the register is compatible with Pentax. About the Leitax ... well, it is useful if you're not good at making holes in the K adapter, I guess ...

Quote:
I find it a bit scary to screw off the mount from the camera. Won't there be electrical connections? parts that could fall off?

Yes, each little contact in the mount has a spring, so be careful !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it!

Rasped a hole into the mount and now the lens locks onto the Pentax mount and sits tidely locked! So no more lens-unscrewing when focusing!

Took me about 20min and a thin rasp but it was relatively easy after all!

Interested in some pics of the modified mount?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, please show us the modified mount.

Timo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it.
Contax/Yashica and Olympus will fit into the mount but will only screw on if the sandpapering is done on the bodymount. Also the pin keeping the m-42 adapter from not rotating have to be cut off.

See this good link on how-to:
http://forum.contax-club.org/viewtopic.php?t=12815&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=603324b78a5800e665965e80594c6c1e

The consequence will be. No m42-lenses can be used through original adapter. All Pentax K, KAF etc lenses will work as usual. Stabilized contax and olympus lenses are now at your disposal.
Contax lenses will not focus to infinity, but close. Some extra sanding is needed on the bodymount. See above link for info. But as a sideeffect all pentax lenses will go beyond infinity.

For me this is a no-go until I get a new body. Then my k10D will be my Centax or Pontax. Smile

Nikon: Pre-Ai fits really good for me. Only have the 105 2,5 Nikkor-P.
With AI and AIS it seems you have to test each one for fit. As has been said earlier in the thread, some zooms seem to fit badly. My 35-105 fell of in my hand twice before I gave up.
The ones that fits my Pentax really good is:
Nikon Series E 35mm 2.5
Nikon Series E 100 2.8
Micro Nikkor 55 2.8 (two hours in heavy terrain with this, without a problem.)
Nikkor 35 1.4
Nikkor 35 2
Nikkor 85 2
Nikkor 135 2.8

I have not tested any longer focal lengths.

/Jan

Last edited by Wormhandler on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go! Modified Nikkor 300mm. Fits pretty tied but it can come of because there a slight difference in diameter of the two lenses.

Sanded down Aperture sprongs and rasped a whole into the mount (upper left)