Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Unsmooth" film advance in RTS II. How to fix?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: "Unsmooth" film advance in RTS II. How to fix? Reply with quote

I hope to pick a brain or two. I have a Contax RTS II, that is functioning normally, apart from the fact that winding is a bit gritty and "ratchetty". I would expect this to go much smoother in this model. Is there a way to fix this? Is there bits in there that need lubrication?

I appreciate all the pointers I can get..

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's ask again

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few cameras with built-in motors: Canons T70 and T90, Nikons F4s and N80. All four of these cameras have smooth film advances. But! I have owned several motor drives that sounded like nuts and bolts rattling around inside a tin can. Yet I've owned others of these same models that were relatively quiet. One I even dismantled to see if I could spot any obvious points of wear. It was a Pentax LX Winder. I tried and tested and poked and prodded and I couldn't find anything. But the sound it made was really annoying. So I took a chance and bought another one, which turned out to be much quieter. I've been through this same thing with a Canon Motor Drive MA (A-1 and AE-1P). It sounded like it was flying apart, and I knew this wasn't normal because I've owned copies of this drive before. So I sold it and tried my luck with another, which turned out to be much quieter.

What I've assumed from these experiences was that these drives just had experienced a lot more use than others might have. I would probably make that same assumption with the RTS II. Especially if it displays a significant amount of wear that can be seen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically, all you can do is to take the bottom plate off and see if anything jumps out at you. Going in deeper than that is a domain of the trained professionals.