Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Unknown Nikon lenses.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Unknown Nikon lenses. Reply with quote

Anyone ever seen these Nikon lenses? I can get them and like to give it a try. Seems like macro lenses with normal Nikon bayonet. 2x and 5x. But no focal lenght mentioned (nor Nikkor).
Maybe some kind of special application lenses?

Last edited by mkleywegt on Thu May 28, 2009 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure that is a standard Nikon mount? I've never seen F-mounted Macro Nikkors - indeed the ones I know are less than 2cm wide, a bit too small to F mount.

But I've seen a Fuji lens with a tiny (well not really tiny, slightly less than Exakta bayonet size, maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of a F or other modern camera mount) SLR-like bayonet on a video monitoring system for PCB assembly lines, maybe that was/is some kind of a industry standard also served by Nikon.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are not Macro Nikkors. Macro Nikkors have either RMS mount (19+35mm) or M39 Leica (enlarger) thread mount (65 + 120mm).

I guess these might be from some Nikon instrument but most likelys not compatible witha normal Nikon mount (I have seen another such lens with very different back focus and long rear element not fitting a Nikon camera)

Nikon mounts are quite widely used in medical + industrial systems btw. also seen on video camera mounts.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are not the famous macro nikkors indeed. These are larger and way more heavy. Curious to check out it's performance.

There also seem to be a 6x and 10x version of this lens. (fitting an f2), but the owner of these is requesting info as well:
http://akiroom.com/redbook-e/collection2/mike01.html

My offer is accepted and will pick em up tomorrow. So let's see if i get them useful.
The owner got them from his work in hospital. He guessed they are used for photography of the eye, but has never worked with them himself.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating, interesting to see samples from these lenses

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkleywegt wrote:
These are not the famous macro nikkors indeed. These are larger and way more heavy. Curious to check out it's performance.

There also seem to be a 6x and 10x version of this lens. (fitting an f2), but the owner of these is requesting info as well:
http://akiroom.com/redbook-e/collection2/mike01.html

My offer is accepted and will pick em up tomorrow. So let's see if i get them useful.
The owner got them from his work in hospital. He guessed they are used for photography of the eye, but has never worked with them himself.

That is very interesting Maarten and a great link you have provided!!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like 'ocular' instead of 'objective'?

In the midsection a T2 example:
http://tinyurl.com/knjaby

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlikely, no standard microscope and telescope oculars have a tapered fit.

Given the origin, a ophthalmoscopic camera as suggested is likely, but given that they are labelled by enlarging factor rather than focal length, they might insert into some more complex eye diagnostics device, and be a secondary (ocular-like) lens. Too bad that the creator of that page did not test (or does not mention) whether they focus anywhere real.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That were my thoughts too Sevo, when I got them offered long time ago and I declined since there wass no proof that they would give sharp focus and the back focal length would fit.

Last edited by kds315* on Fri May 29, 2009 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. If we may believe another info requester, they will do well on a bellows:

last on page:
"Both lenses work very well on a nikon bellows unit but only focus at a fixed distance presumably to give 2X and 5X magnification. The lenses are very well made and much heavier than a standard AI or Non Ai lens of comparable size. I suspect that they may have something to do with optometry."
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/messageboard/lenses/index.php?pageNum=89

Anyway. Let's check that out later today, when i got them.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This photo implies that, as well as a Nikon F mount, they are designed to work at the Nikon F register distance as well.

If designed for ophthalmic use, they may have a fairly short nimimum focus distance (and likely were not designed to be used at infinity).

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the image circle may well not cover full frame, if the subject of interest is an eye; might well project a circle onto FX that just touches the long edges..

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mount looks scarily like the one used on the Nikon GX-35 microscope camera. Their scope cameras right up until quite late had more than a passing resemblence to the old rangefinder bodies (why change a good thing?) and may well have been the original Nokin type mount (excuse my ignorance of early Nikon, I have never really been in the Nikon league outside of the lab!)

Anyway, that information might be a good starting point for you for further research Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenses are here now.

I can verify they have Nikon F mount. They need quite some extension to reach their disired mag. values.

So Yes, you'll get sharp focus with these.

working distance indeed is on the short side.

I'll try to make some pics over the weekend and will post.

Last edited by mkleywegt on Sun May 31, 2009 2:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:

This photo implies that, as well as a Nikon F mount, they are designed to work at the Nikon F register distance as well.

One cannot assume that Chris, just because it mechanically fits a Nikon Camera. There are several lenses I know well which have Nikon mount, but were made for mil. applications like image intensifiers atc and have VERY different back focal length.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:

One cannot assume that Chris, just because it mechanically fits a Nikon Camera. There are several lenses I know well which have Nikon mount, but were made for mil. applications like image intensifiers atc and have VERY different back focal length.

My assumption was not because it *fit* but because the two lenses above *came with* a Nikon camera plus a special viewfinder, as a collection. Of course, it could well be that they were used with extension tubes which had then been separated/lost before the group came on the market.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:

My assumption was not because it *fit* but because the two lenses above *came with* a Nikon camera plus a special viewfinder, as a collection. Of course, it could well be that they were used with extension tubes which had then been separated/lost before the group came on the market.

More likely is the assumption that they were used with an ophthalmoscope, slit lamp apparatus, eye surgical microscope or the like - i.e. something refractive in front of the camera and lens. That Maarten noted that they need "quite some extension to reach their nominal magnification" certainly does rather look like it, since fixed magnification/scale devices will usually be specified to work as is within their intended environment - good engineers tend to avoid introducing more variables (like bellows to be calibrated or the right tube to select) into measurement processes.

Sevo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredging up this 5-year old thread to find out if there were any results from testing these lenses?

Ray

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Parkhurst wrote:
Dredging up this 5-year old thread to find out if there were any results from testing these lenses?

Ray

Oh, you found it already Ray.,..

Crosslink to the new thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1514924.html#1514924

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Ray Parkhurst wrote:

Ray

Oh, you found it already Ray.,..

Crosslink to the new thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1514924.html#1514924

Klaus...actually, that reply of mine was from 2014...