Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ultrasonic cleaner to clean lens elements?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Ultrasonic cleaner to clean lens elements? Reply with quote

I was thinking about using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean my 50/1.4's elements in soap/water solution, just wondering if anyone has done anything like this before.

I'll probably stick to lighter fluid, but curious if this has been attempted.

Thank you.
autotak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ultrasonic cleaner to clean lens elements? Reply with quote

autotak wrote:
I was thinking about using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean my 50/1.4's elements in soap/water solution, just wondering if anyone has done anything like this before.

I'll probably stick to lighter fluid, but curious if this has been attempted.

Thank you.
autotak

I have a big ultrasonic bath which I have often thought about using on camera bits. I used to use it to clean clock parts. Worrying thing is, in order to test if it's working, the recommended method is to hang a sheet of aluminium foil in plain water, switch in on for a couple of minutes and see how many tiny holes it's put in the foil. This has stopped me using it on lenses, because I hate to think what it might do with the coatings Smile

Be very interested in other's opinions Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasonic_cleaning gives a pretty good overview imho. One of the wikipedia references is quite good: http://www.ctgclean.com/technology-library/articles/

These work by generating non-inertial cavitation; tiny oscillating bubbles in a fluid. Bubbles are regions where pressure has been forced to less than the liquid's vapor pressure. Not the same as propeller cavitation, which is inertial. In fact inertial cavitation is used by some advanced submarines to travel through water at speeds otherwise unattainable; the sub actually travels through a generated air bubble in front.

With the right combination solvent and stimulus frequency a lens could be reduced to powder Laughing (no worries, it can be done, but probability of nailing the specific parameters in the application at hand is extremely low) A consumer ultrasonic cleaner using soapy water is probably safe for lenses and coatings, however, I would beware using a high-power industrial ultrasonic cleaner.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By a 5$ no name lens and give it a try.