Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ultra-Achromatic-Takumar 85mm f4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Ultra-Achromatic-Takumar 85mm f4.5 Reply with quote

So i recently bought a 7 lenses advertised as "7 pentax lenses. All manual focus so maybe nice for a collector". That was pretty much al the info given.

I always love these kind of sales gives me the feeling i might have a chance to save a gem form being tossed in the trash.

so the bunch included
a pentacon 29/2.8 (but i already have a mint version that gives good images)
two different aus Jena T 50mm f2.8 one red and one green lettering
a chinon auto 135mm 2.8 with slight play in the focus ring. (1 or 2 degree)
practica 135mm f2.8 with build feels amazing but the blades stick and i have not been able to open it up the screws are super tight.
a cosina 70-210mm macro
and the last lens was a realy strange takumar....
looks how small the front glass is.

heres a picture.

it the paint has worn of from use and it has a few dings and dents on the out side bit the glass looks fine and its feels as smooth as any takumar.

and it has a weird looking custom red filter that went with it aswel.

I wonder do you guys know this takumar?
and what is it used for?
f4.5 seems a bit strange for a 85mm prime...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was few days ago a thread about this auction on the Dutch "marketplaats" or so.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe these were intended for infrared photography? Or ultraviolet photography? ...one of those anyway.

That's probably why it came with a weird filter.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it. Here is the link with few information regarding this lens.

http://forum.mflenses.com/asahi-85mm-4-5-t41894.html

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

humm i cant read that. seems i need 100 posts to read it

but i guess its infra red because the filter is red... though the name has ultra in it like ultra violet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though i have done IR before and i used a filter that was totally black

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the link goes to MFL club where you must have minium 100 posts to read/write new posts. Moved the thread to another section.

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=41894&sid=97fbc6353109fd0f3ba4dd5e09d582d7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that sounds like my auction so that idiot is me haha. anyway the seller thought the other bidder raised with too small a amounts. and decided to sell the bunch to me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was me who gave the signal in MFL club that something special was offered, without much idea how special his UV-lens was. It is not my hobby to work with such specials, so I didn't bid. And supposed that the seller sold fast when someone was prepaired to pay more then he expected, not risking that his "idiot" client would get a second thought.
So I think that I can congratulate you with a rare and very special lens, strongly corrected for UV photography, and for some people a lot more worth then you paid for the bunch!
I think kds315* can tell you more about the lens, he is the expert here. You can find the lens on his website http://www.macrolenses.de

Last edited by Minolfan on Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:26 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool and thank you. I've done IR before but id really like to try UV aswell i bet i can't use my nikon D7000 (it didn't really work with IR) but i hope the D70 will work for UV like it did for IR and i bet i will need an UV filter.

not sure if the d70 works well with m42 lenses though :/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a catch!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! This makes me totally exited. I really like to try this. But i'm not sure how to. Embarassed I think i'll probably need a UV filter but i don't have one. I can ofc shoot it with the red filter and in normal light. I should also realy get a step up ring from 49mm because my current rings go down to 52mm wile my "black" IR filter is 77mm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I estimate this UV lens above 500 USD perhaps more ... you made a damn good deal.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:O Seriusly? Even with the dings and dents on the filter ring and the paint worn at the edges of the focus ring ect. I mean mechanicly its fine and optics look good to me. So it works fine. But cosmetically ive seen better lenses.. Don't people want mint stuff al the time atleast for that kind of cash.

I wonder if UV renders skin funny i love what IR does with human skin.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice grab! This is a rare lens targeted to a specific market (criminal, industrial, scientific). The macro web site quoted earlier has almost all the info, but here is a little more from Oosten's Pentax Screw Mount Guide (ISBN 90-76537-02-x pages 174 and 176):

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow intresting!

Does quartz or or fluorite need special care? Or just same as other (glass) lenses?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does, fluorite is quite soft and can be easily scratched by sand (= quartz crystals)!!

I have replied to your PM btw.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as i think this is a really cool lens i find my self not using it much.

Thats why i am selling it.

if anyone is interested PM me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got my PM already Robbert.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if Klaus in the end does not want it please let me know... I've always wanted to try those UA-Takumars!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can always meet and do a "rare lens" shootout Peter Wink

Last edited by kds315* on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I do not think I have that many rare lenses Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bring some of mine and you can test them out, and I can see how you "Q" does...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one on Marktplaats again: http://link.marktplaats.nl/534352231, but a very serious bid is already done!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who can bid for me there?

Oh, I see what happens there. Either the seller is using a 2nd account to bid on his own offer,
or has a friend do that for him, as EUR375 was my private offer to him.