Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

UK adapter commands Royal price
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: UK adapter commands Royal price Reply with quote

HRH Queen Elizabeth II herself must have been bidding on this adapter, to have bid it up so high!! I cannot comment as to why Her Majesty needed this particular adapter. Only can observe she obviously, like us, is a fan of MF lenses:

Click here to see on Ebay then click see original listing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: UK adapter commands Royal price Reply with quote

[quote="guardian"]HRH Queen Elizabeth II herself must have been bidding on this adapter, to have bid it up so high!! I cannot comment as to why Her Majesty needed this particular adapter. Only can observe she obviously, like us, is a fan of MF lenses:

I don't see this price as being high. TX adapters often go for much more than that, and this particular one is not all that common.

Last edited by konicamera on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a rare M42 variant , it went for just £12.50. M42 always fetches high prices, it could have gone higher. Whats the point? and whats HRH got to do with it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that's a fair price for the adapter,the Queen shoots with Leica doesn't she?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I agree that's a fair price for the adapter,the Queen shoots with Leica doesn't she?

I love my queen. I do not think the uses but Leica. Also, this is a very cheap price, unless the taxes charged are added to it. I do know the taxes in UK are way too high for regular people, and they call it Queen taxes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idilio Eterno wrote:
mo wrote:

I love my queen. I do not think the uses but Leica. Also, this is a very cheap price, unless the taxes charged are added to it. I do know the taxes in UK are way too high for regular people, and they call it Queen taxes.

Taxes in UK are called Value Added Tax and for most things are at 20% and always included in the price (trade prices show ex-vat and inclusive). We also have alcohol and tobacco taxes (and others for all I know). We (regular and poor people) live with them and pay them, taxes are always included in the quoted price so no nasty surprises.

Importing goods from outside EU is subject to tax but for a £12.50 item they don't bother collecting it.

I've never heard of queen taxes? She pays 40% on her sovereign grant from the government if thats what you mean.

HRH Elizabeth II has been photographed with a Leica M many times. I doubt she uses it now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continue to view the price for that adapter as out sized. It's only just an adapter! And adapters in the UK are available for much lower figures than the one paid by the winning bidder. To support my view, I offer into evidence this post by a forum member, Lloydy, living in the UK:

http://forum.mflenses.com/did-i-over-pay-for-this-adapter-t69686.html#1422843

Circa US$20 pricing for a mere adapter places our hobby out of reach for too many would-be participants. Are MF lenses on the way to becoming baubles reserved solely for the wealthy?!

I believe that adapter was bought only because it allows adaptation to m42 in general. I seriously doubt there are many MF lens users remaining today wanting specifically to adapt a Mamiya Sekor film camera body to a TX MF lens.

Finally, in hope the right Chinese person might be reading this, it would be wonderful if an enterprising Chinese company would begin making available T4/TX to m42 adapters at reasonable cost!! Goodness knows there are thousands of T4/TX lenses out there, both Vivitar and Soligar, just waiting for such an adapter to come along. The Chinese already make an adapter for Adaptall 2 to m42. Why not for T4/TX to m42 as well?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
I continue to view the price for that adapter as out sized. It's only just an adapter! And adapters in the UK are available for much lower figures than the one paid by the winning bidder. To support my view, I offer into evidence this post by a forum member, Lloydy, living in the UK:

Circa US$20 pricing for a mere adapter places our hobby out of reach for too many would-be participants. Are MF lenses on the way to becoming baubles reserved solely for the wealthy?!

I believe that adapter was bought only because it allows adaptation to m42 in general. I seriously doubt there are many MF lens users remaining today wanting specifically to adapt a Mamiya Sekor film camera body to a TX MF lens.

Finally, in hope the right Chinese person might be reading this, it would be wonderful if an enterprising Chinese company would begin making available T4/TX to m42 adapters at reasonable cost!! Goodness knows there are thousands of T4/TX lenses out there, both Vivitar and Soligar, just waiting for such an adapter to come along. The Chinese already make an adapter for Adaptall 2 to m42. Why not for T4/TX to m42 as well?

Many adapters do indeed cost much less, if not always, but most of those are mere rings with two different mounts at either end. TX adapters carry through automatic aperture operation. They are not just rings, like the T2 adapter. There is a dozen different types and they very often fetch much higher prices than this one. Furthermore, some are far less common than others. A regular TX/M42 adapter can be found easily, a TX/Fucjica bayonet mount is a more difficult catch. What the buyer intends to use it for is his business, the fact remains it is a TX/Mamiya Sekor adapter and that's what you buy, hence the price. The price of the one in your auction is still dirt cheap when compared to some adapters used on mirrorless cameras these days, and most of those ARE just rings and nothing more.
There aren't all that many T4/TX lenses out there. All were made by Tokina and distributed by Vivitar and Soligor for T4 lenses, but only by Vivitar for TX lenses. The T4/TX market is relatively tiny niche market.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idilio Eterno wrote:
mo wrote:

The day job is with Fox News is it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
guardian wrote:

Many adapters do indeed cost much less, if not always, but most of those are mere rings with two different mounts at either end. TX adapters carry through automatic aperture operation. They are not just rings, like the T2 adapter. There is a dozen different types and they very often fetch much higher prices than this one. Furthermore, some are far less common than others. A regular TX/M42 adapter can be found easily, a TX/Fucjica bayonet mount is a more difficult catch. What the buyer intends to use it for is his business, the fact remains it is a TX/Mamiya Sekor adapter and that's what you buy, hence the price. The price of the one in your auction is still dirt cheap when compared to some adapters used on mirrorless cameras these days, and most of those ARE just rings and nothing more.
There aren't all that many T4/TX lenses out there. All were made by Tokina and distributed by Vivitar and Soligor for T4 lenses, but only by Vivitar for TX lenses. The T4/TX market is relatively tiny niche market.

As it happens I only recently brought in a TX adapter which I believe might be Fujica. I say it that way because I did not care and I do not care. All I cared about was, and is, that the adapter is m42.

Here is the auction I won:

My cost for that adapter was NOT low, and in fact I overpaid. But I did not pay the outlandish and ridiculous amount surrendered by the buyer in the auction mentioned in the OP.

These are adapters. And last time I checked, they are not trimmed in 24K gold!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TX adapters are harder to find, when I wanted a Canon FD and didn't find one at the camera fairs I had to buy one off ebay from America and it cost me nearly £20 with postage. And then sods law came into play, and at the next camera fair I saw a Canon one for £5, so I now have a spare. Laughing