Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Two Qs: Blowing on Lens / Rain Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Two Qs: Blowing on Lens / Rain Issues Reply with quote

Hi Everyone:

I wonder if it is prudent to blow on a lens and then use a lens tissue to wipe it? I have an old K-120 and it got a few raindrops on the glass which left a residue that was probably mixed with dust. I have heard mixed opinions about using one's breath to clean a lens with.

My second question relates to whether rain is a problem for older lenses, in that the moisture can penetrate the barrel? Maybe this is a dumb question. In my case it was only a sprinkle, but I would imagine a deluge would be more problematic for non-weather-proof lenses. So this would prevent me from venturing out during the monsoons.

Thanks for your insights,

-Charles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Two Qs: Blowing on Lens / Rain Issues Reply with quote

charley5 wrote:
Hi Everyone:

I wonder if it is prudent to blow on a lens and then use a lens tissue to wipe it? I have an old K-120 and it got a few raindrops on the glass which left a residue that was probably mixed with dust. I have heard mixed opinions about using one's breath to clean a lens with.

My second question relates to whether rain is a problem for older lenses, in that the moisture can penetrate the barrel? Maybe this is a dumb question. In my case it was only a sprinkle, but I would imagine a deluge would be more problematic for non-weather-proof lenses. So this would prevent me from venturing out during the monsoons.

-Charles

Breathing isn't recommended, but there are different techniques for breathing on a lens; some leave a relatively clean water condensate, others will result in microscopic saliva droplets. TBH, I sometimes do it if I have nothing else to hand. Breathe softly, with the mount wide open and do not vibrate your vocal cords when doing so. Wink

More problematic is what I highlighted in bold: dust. When you wipe a lens that has dust on it, if that dust is abrasive, it can cause microscopic scratches. Best to use a blower brush first to remove any loose dust. Any dust that has stuck will be less likely to cause scratches if you use a wet (not dripping wet!) cleaning wipe.

If it can wait I would recommend leaving the cleaning until you have access to a blower brush and some isopropyl alcohol or acetone, or lens cleaning fluid, or distilled water.

Rain is a problem for older lenses if they are not weather-proof. There is the danger of fungus of course if they don't dry out quick enough, but also capillary action can draw water deep into the threads of any exterior screws, which are usually steel, and they will rust. Old MF lenses have lots of capillary gaps that will suck up the water and may take a long time to dry. Since most of these older lenses are made of different metals, galvanic corrosion is also an issue in the presence of water/moisture. More modern plastic lenses have an advantage there. If they are not specifically rated as weather-proof, I would try and keep them dry...

You mention the monsoons; even weather-proof lenses are mostly only designed to fend of some light to moderate rain. Monsoons would be an issue I think, unless you use a specifically designed tough-weather condition compact camera (they used to exist, not sure if they still make them. Olympus used to do a good one. EDIT: they still do, e.g. Olympus TG-6).

But really the worst is sea-side fine salt-water spray. That can cause significant corrosion if it is not cleaned off as soon as practical. Dried salt-water spray followed by some rain is also very bad.

For sea-side use I usually reserve my less pristine lenses (or my better ones only carefully, and only when the weather conditions are suitable.) I then clean them as soon as possible with a damp cloth, and then wipe dry with another clean cloth.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Two Qs: Blowing on Lens / Rain Issues Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
charley5 wrote:
Hi Everyone:

-Charles

Breathing isn't recommended, but there are different techniques for breathing on a lens; some leave a relatively clean water condensate, others will result in microscopic saliva droplets. TBH, I sometimes do it if I have nothing else to hand. Breathe softly, with the mount wide open and do not vibrate your vocal cords when doing so. Wink

More problematic is what I highlighted in bold: dust. When you wipe a lens that has dust on it, if that dust is abrasive, it can cause microscopic scratches. Best to use a blower brush first to remove any loose dust. Any dust that has stuck will be less likely to cause scratches if you use a wet (not dripping wet!) cleaning wipe.

If it can wait I would recommend leaving the cleaning until you have access to a blower brush and some isopropyl alcohol or acetone, or lens cleaning fluid, or distilled water.

Rain is a problem for older lenses if they are not weather-proof. There is the danger of fungus of course if they don't dry out quick enough, but also capillary action can draw water deep into the threads of any exterior screws, which are usually steel, and they will rust. Old MF lenses have lots of capillary gaps that will suck up the water and may take a long time to dry. Since most of these older lenses are made of different metals, galvanic corrosion is also an issue in the presence of water/moisture. More modern plastic lenses have an advantage there. If they are not specifically rated as weather-proof, I would try and keep them dry...

You mention the monsoons; even weather-proof lenses are mostly only designed to fend of some light to moderate rain. Monsoons would be an issue I think, unless you use a specifically designed tough-weather condition compact camera (they used to exist, not sure if they still make them. Olympus used to do a good one. EDIT: they still do, e.g. Olympus TG-6).

But really the worst is sea-side fine salt-water spray. That can cause significant corrosion if it is not cleaned off as soon as practical. Dried salt-water spray followed by some rain is also very bad.

For sea-side use I usually reserve my less pristine lenses (or my better ones only carefully, and only when the weather conditions are suitable.) I then clean them as soon as possible with a damp cloth, and then wipe dry with another clean cloth.

This is so helpful Mark. Thank you so much!

-Charles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Two Qs: Blowing on Lens / Rain Issues Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:

Lots of good advice but I would be VERY wary of using acetone on lenses as it attacks many plastics / rubbers / paints. It's great for glass elements that have been removed from the lens & probably OK for many older metal bodied lenses, but just not worth the risk if you're not completely sure of compositions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Two Qs: Blowing on Lens / Rain Issues Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:

Lots of good advice but I would be VERY wary of using acetone on lenses as it attacks many plastics / rubbers / paints. It's great for glass elements that have been removed from the lens & probably OK for many older metal bodied lenses, but just not worth the risk if you're not completely sure of compositions.

Very good point, acetone not to be used near plastic/paint. Works fine on my Rokkors though, which are all metal and have black-anodised lens mounting rings.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Two Qs: Blowing on Lens / Rain Issues Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:

That's a good point. Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Two Qs: Blowing on Lens / Rain Issues Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
DConvert wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:

Very good point, acetone not to be used near plastic/paint. Works fine on my Rokkors though, which are all metal and have black-anodised lens mounting rings.

Excellent. Thank you!