Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Two faces Soligor 135mm 3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Two faces Soligor 135mm 3.5 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have totally investigated the Soligor 135mm 3.5's because I have read raves about them either Lloydy or Ian has one that he loves.
So, I want one. Very Happy

The two I eyeballed are in the pics below

First one I believe this one is made by Tokina here

This second one Is a T2 mount preset and serial begins with 86. I would love to know who made this one.

I sure would like some input on these two and which would be the better one and why.

Any and all help is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My version looks the same as the second one, it has the same engravings and focus mark and the style is the same - but mine is f2.8. As to who made mine ? that's still a subject for debate, the serial number is M163924. so I'm thinking Tokina based on the '1' at the start of the number sequence ( same as the first lens you have pictured ) Soligors with '8' serial numbers are still a mystery I think.
My 200 / 4.5 with a 167**** number - Tokina - is the same style and almost certainly the same manufacturer as my 2.8 / 135 and the second one in your pictures, the 'Soligor' engraving on the ring is the same lower case style as well. I would bet on that second lens being a early Tokina.

The style of the focusing mark on the first lens pictured is exactly the same as a Photax 300 lens that I had, which was probably a Cosina lens. There is some consistency in the focusing marks by manufacturer, but apparently it's not guaranteed.

The 2.8 was one of the first MF lenses that I got and I used it a lot on my Pentax K10 and got some very good results from it, but I eventually got some smaller and lighter 2.8's which I used more, which didn't make the old Soligor a bad lens. I shall try it on the Sony today and I think I'll be pleased with it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenses you're showing look like example of traditional battle between Tokina and SUN.
See also this topic for SUN / Soligor / Miranda: http://forum.mflenses.com/pallas-auto-wide-35mm-f2-8-t38282,highlight,+35mm,start,15.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are very nice examples of Soligor lenses I do not own. Both of my Sollie 135s are the larger f2.8 versions. I've always thought the smaller and lighter f3.5 lenses were good choices, and I do own a few in other brands.

Regarding provenance:

I think you've nailed the automatic lens. Presets are another matter entirely, much more difficult gauge as to manufacturer.

As for preference, I prefer the preset because it is a preset. I'm a sucker for preset lenses. Very Happy

Off topic:

If you've not already seen it, Gavin, you might be interested in my post here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/sun-short-zoom-sweet-t68121.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I have a Soligor 35-70 that is quite good. Lloydy, you have been a great help to me in the past and I want you to know I really appreciate the help. Guardian, I really wanted that sun 24-40 real bad but my copy was a Nikon, no good to me so I sold it. The good news is I bought a brand new Access 28-70 f2.8 and is is a cracker. I compared to the Sun and it beat the hell out of it.
It came in a PK/A as well. Much happier now Very Happy

Lloydy, if you would put up a few pics from your Sony and Solly 135mm f2.8 that would be a treat.

Regards,
Gavin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soligor 135 2.8 on Sony A6000.

No post processing, ISO 1250 @ 1/1000 Wide open at 2.8

Crop of above, no sharpening or PP

No post processing, ISO 1250 @ 1/1600 Wide open at 2.8

Lot's of PP, the yellow petals were washed together so I fiddled with the contrast and saturation, then vignetted the background to darken it. But it is unsharpened. ISO 1250 @ 1/1600. One stop down at f4.

I should use this lens more often, it's very good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lens is outstanding Lloydy, very good contrast and IQ is right on. I'll bet that one would produce quite a good portrait as well.

Well, I got that 135 3.5 preset (the one that resembled yours and if it can produce pics like yours I will be extremely happy.

Thanks for sharing these pics Lloydy.

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's Gavin, I tried some PP on the feather picture as it is obviously overexposed for the majority of the picture - the background. But the feather itself isn't that bad. If I adjust exposure in any way the dreamy bokeh gets more colour and the effect is lost, it just doesn't work. The bokeh is nice from this lens, which is something I'm finding with the other early Tokina's, not necessarily Soligors, that I've got. The old Tele Auto Tokina 135 / 3.5 - a pre set lens of similar era - is another favourite of mine for the wonderful bokeh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't always get the Pic you really want no matter what you do. The only remedy is to take another one of the feather from a slightly different angle. That Sony of yours is a very capable camera. I have a Pentax K-10D and a Pentax K-50. I like the color rendition from the 10D but the K-50 puts out very nice pics every time and is much easier to use. Thanks again Lloydy

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again everyone,

Just chiming in to update this thread. As shown above I got that Solly 135 3.5 but I wanted one like Lloydy's 135 2.8 With the M serial number
but could not find one. Good thing as I really like the 3.5 quite a bit. Here are a couple of pics I took with my little cat Spooky on my K-50.

The one of her on my roof wasen't easy LOL.

Also, I was luck enough to win a Solly 135 2.8 With the M Serial Like Lloydy's in pristine condition. My M Serial number is quite a bit older than Lloydy's . I havent received it yet but when I do I will upload a couple of pics. Here is the lens.

Thanks for looking

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cat picture is superb, that is a difficult picture with the highlights on the dark fur.

The 2.8 looks really nice, mine is good but 'used'. I might have a spare good case with the logo somewhere. Question

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Lloydy

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again everyone,

Well to update my thread, I received the Solly 135 f2.8 Preset like LLoydy's with the M series number and I took a few pics to show.
I am surprised at how good this old lens actually is. The bokeh is outstanding and shaprens up nicely. The below shots are all wide open
of my little ferrule cat Spooky. Any input is appreciated.

Regards,
Gavin

Last edited by Newfie on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with that. Cool I used mine a lot on my K10,. not so much on the Sony's. I shall get it out of retirement on the strength of your pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lloydy Very Happy

I'm glad my K-50 and old Solly did so well. Spooky is a hoot as she climbs high up my oak trees and does her posing routine.

I feel I am getting a little better with my photography these days and I do love my manual lenses.

I am learning a great deal from folks on these fourms, Thanks Smile

I don't know why Soligor Brand was only recognised as so so, I am getting some more.

I am thinking another 35mm and I know Thomas has one and has posted great results with his.

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 'chrome ear' series I have the 35 / 3.5, a bit of a dog. 135 / 2.8, very good, 200 / 4.5, good. 300 / 5.5 good and the 400 / 6.3 also a good lens. I've got a few other Soligors as well, mostly good lenses, probably the top side of 'good' - but considering they were budget lenses, I think they were ahead of their competitors.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
In the 'chrome ear' series I have the 35 / 3.5, a bit of a dog. 135 / 2.8, very good, 200 / 4.5, good. 300 / 5.5 good and the 400 / 6.3 also a good lens. I've got a few other Soligors as well, mostly good lenses, probably the top side of 'good' - but considering they were budget lenses, I think they were ahead of their competitors.

Yes, I agree with Lloyd, they do very nicely.
My Soligor 2.8/28 has a chrome aperture ring but no ears and it is very good. The 2.8/35 is as in my post recently without any chrome parts.
The 2/135 is not the sharpest wide open, but it renders beautifully - bit of a beast to use though. The only chrome eared one that I have is the 3.5/180 which is also quite good and a very pleasing to use lens ergonomically. I have a 4.5/200 pre-set which is excellent.
Not all Soligors are equal and some are pretty ordinary, but there are good ones out there.
Here is a sample from the 2/135 (just because I like posting pictures haha)
OH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Tom Smile

Did you see the pics I took with the Solly 135 f2.8 Preset of Spooky. They turned out pretty good.

That Solly 28mm of yours takes a pretty good pic as well. I have 3 Solly's now and I want more. haha

They are all very well constructed and I am drawn to the old Presets. (Blame Guardian) lol He loves Presets.

Thanks for your input Tom

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have done exceptionally well with your focusing Gavin.
The rendering is very nice as well.
Cats are such good subjects too aren't they.
Good job
OH