Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Twin Fawns - Late Births
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Twin Fawns - Late Births Reply with quote

Sometimes the Columbia Blacktail Deer will have a "late birth" of fawns. This was one of those cases, and it was surprising to see these fairly young fawns last week. This was taken right at the start of a long hike, so
was a nice introduction for me!

Lens: Tamron SP 70-210

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Beautiful capture! You were close for them really. Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did well to get that close, even with a tele. Cool

A wonderful shot. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Yes, they allow humans to come pretty close...they stay motionless for the most part, and I
think that they feel they are camouflaged to some extent.

I was close enough here that I think I only needed about 150mm of "reach" with the Tammie.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
You did well to get that close, even with a tele. Cool

A wonderful shot. Cool

Thanks Bob! It was pretty much "point and shoot" with these willing subjects.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deer over here aren't quite so accomodating Larry - but then they do have a tendency to get shot, and not with a camera if you know what I mean.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence

You keep doing this to us - one dreamy shot after another! I presume these deer are used to people as many of them are in our area. They basically take no notice of humans

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
The deer over here aren't quite so accomodating Larry - but then they do have a tendency to get shot, and not with a camera if you know what I mean.

Yes! I know what you mean. And I am not "against" hunters, especially if the population is out of control. Venison is very good meat to eat, that's for sure. I could never bring myself to shoot one myself though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Laurence

You keep doing this to us - one dreamy shot after another! I presume these deer are used to people as many of them are in our area. They basically take no notice of humans

patrickh

Well, the adult deer are not tolerant of people. I think it's just an instinct for the fawns to "stay put". I'm sure that the mother was not too far away. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over here the deer population is fairly tightly controlled and the various estates that have a deer population have specified quotas of stags and hinds for hunting/cull purposes.

Fawns will normally stay put and also very still and rely on their camouflage and the available cover as it's movement that can be the killer, but chances are that had you attempted to get closer, they'd possibly have bolted.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! pure Disney production! top quality & colors!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sweet! Great capture.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the way you use the light without trying to bump up the exposure like a lot would. It adds a wonderful mood to a very nice shot.

Late yesterday afternoon I saw a fawn come out in the pasture about 100 yards from the house. I told Maxwell so he could watch it out the window. As we were watching its mother joined it. The fawn started hopping around, then ran into the woods, then came back out running right at its mother and then hopped around a little more. Its fun to watch the little ones play.
My 70-200 was setting right there with my camera, but dumb me, I went for my 500 and they were gone when I got back. Poor Maxwell stayed in the window for a hour and a half staring after they left.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really nice!! perfect portrait !!

tf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome !!! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Not as close I was with my Taylor-Hobson 305mm f4: Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH!! This a Wow capture too!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote: wow! pure Disney production! top quality & colors!
Wow, thanks poilu! I'll take "Disney" any time!

Orio wrote: So sweet! Great capture.

Thank you as well, Orio. The subject was sweet, so it was a matter of pointing the camera their way is all.

schnauzer wrote: I really like the way you use the light without trying to bump up the exposure like a lot would. It adds a wonderful mood to a very nice shot.
Late yesterday afternoon I saw a fawn come out in the pasture about 100 yards from the house. I told Maxwell so he could watch it out the window. As we were watching its mother joined it. The fawn started hopping around, then ran into the woods, then came back out running right at its mother and then hopped around a little more. Its fun to watch the little ones play.
My 70-200 was setting right there with my camera, but dumb me, I went for my 500 and they were gone when I got back. Poor Maxwell stayed in the window for a hour and a half staring after they left.

Hey Ron. I LOVE it when those fawns are jumping around like that. Did you get any at all with the 500? And yeah...the light was low, and the forest was pretty dark. I guess I could have bumped up the contrast and brightness a little, but I liked to see this the way it really WAS to my eye.

tf wrote: really nice!! perfect portrait
Heck, they were posing just right, so it was a no brainer!

montecarlo wrote: Awesome !!!
Cool, and thanks montecarlo!

DSG wrote: Not as close I was with my Taylor-Hobson 305mm f4:
I LOVE that Red Deer image. I was blown away by the sharpness and just plain BEAUTY from the Taylor Hobson! Here's what you do DSG - you mail me the Taylor Hobson (make sure it fits an M42 mount) and I'll use it for the rest of my life trying to nail down a deer or fawn image with it....

atilla wrote: AH!! This a Wow capture too!
Thank you Sir! Some of your images coming off the pike are AWESOME.