Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Turning a trekking pole into a light monopode
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Turning a trekking pole into a light monopode Reply with quote

My Clairex monopode is too big for my NEX-5. I wanted a really light monopode to improve the stability of my shots, so I decide to build one by myself.

The starting point was an Arpenaz 200 pole from Decathlon. It cost me less than 9€ a couple of years ago and weights 256g. :

The first step was to remove the handle ribbon.

Then, to make a hole on top and screw in a piece of 1/4" withworth screw. I got a long screw bar, cut an 8cm piece and dremelled a slit on the top, to be able to screw it on the stick head:

I made the hole a little narrower than the screw, to make the screw when screwing in.

Once the screw placed, it's all finished. You can use any 1/4" to 3/8" adapter if you want to use a small monopode head:

And that's how it does look like when used with the NEX-5:

Regards.
Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Sun May 29, 2011 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good DIY monopod.
Congrats. Very Happy

Just got me a used monopod, too.
... but it is up to 6m high.
http://www.agnos.com/dati/articoli/hgen_00_big.jpg

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, thx for sharing, Jes!

I was thinking of doing the same just yesterday, but I'm kind of reluctant as I might ruin the pole.

My pole has a very uneven handle, so I probably should level it by using grindstone paper, what do you think?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF-addicted wrote:
Good DIY monopod.
Congrats. Very Happy

Just got me a used monopod, too.
... but it is up to 6m high.
http://www.agnos.com/dati/articoli/hgen_00_big.jpg

Nice one!... You should be really tall Wink

Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

symphonic wrote:
Great post, thx for sharing, Jes!

I was thinking of doing the same just yesterday, but I'm kind of reluctant as I might ruin the pole.

My pole has a very uneven handle, so I probably should level it by using grindstone paper, what do you think?

Thanks for your comment Smile

These monopodes should be used with a small ballhead or a basculating one like the Manfrotto 234 or 3232:

Using the pole directly with the camera is not very adequate, except for landscapes or similar. If you have to tilt a bit the camera, you will need to incline the pole and the whole thing inclined might lead to uncomfortable positions...

A small head like the one above will allow to keep the pole straight into position and flip the cam.

So I would first put the screw, see how everything fits and if you put a head on top, probably won't need to sand it. Probably not being even would help in fixing the head (IMHO).
If you find necessary some adjust, you can always screw it out and do the sanding... Wink

Good luck,
Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the stick that you convert to a monopod a single length, or is it adjustable, the way a traditional monopod is?

Considering how expensive good quality new monopods (and tripods, far as that goes) have become, this seems to be a good idea.

Fortunately for me, I have an old Bogen (before it was known as Manfroto) monopod that's a pretty beefy one that I bought back in the 80s when they were still reasonably priced, and then several years ago, I found a small, lightweight Gitzo monopod, complete with Stroboframe ballhead at a camera show that I was able to steal--err, buy for $40. Best of all, it extends well beyond my height, so this one is perfect for when hiking and trying to keep the weight down.

The Gitzo is not as useful as a substitute for the Bogen in certain situations I have found myself in, however. I have a Bogen 3025 head that sometimes gets mounted to the Bogen monopod -- a rather large, ungainly affair:

Click here to see on Ebay

And if I found myself in a rough area of town, all alone, just me and my thousands of dollars worth of camera gear in a shoulder bag, I'd carry the Bogen as a club, with the 3025 head being the business end of the club. Fortunately I never actually had to use it, but it did discourage unsavory types on a few occasions from attempting to approach me. That 3025 is a rather intimidating piece of gear when you look at it as something besides a tripod head.

And it seems to me that your walking stick could also serve a dual purpose -- well maybe even a triple purpose. I'm sure it can still be used quite well as a walking stick, yes? And if you ever find yourself in a sticky situation, I suppose it could be used as a weapon, especially if you had some ungainly sort of head attached to it. Of course, one would hope nothing like this would ever occur. But it never hurts to be prepared.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Is the stick that you convert to a monopod a single length, or is it adjustable, the way a traditional monopod is?

Yes. it's made in two parts. one sliding inside the other and getting fixed by turning it. It's extremely weightlight, (256 grams), so maybe as a deffending weapon would be of not much use Wink

Thanks for your comment!.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Yes. it's made in two parts. one sliding inside the other and getting fixed by turning it. It's extremely weightlight, (256 grams), so maybe as a deffending weapon would be of not much use Wink

Well, if it's made of good materials, like carbon fiber, even if lightweight, it should be very sturdy.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further refinements:

Added a small ball head and a rubber foot:

Regards.
Jes.