Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Triplet 78mm f2.8 Soviet projector lens conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Triplet 78mm f2.8 Soviet projector lens conversion Reply with quote

I converted the second lens from soviet projector ) )
It was Triplet 78mm f2.8
Lens body donated from Mir 1 Automat without rear lens. It was taken for free from my friend.
Threw all lenses from the Mir, cleaned and greased helicoid.

Next, cut old bayonet and m42 adapter to fit together

Drill holes in the adapter)))

All of this is glued to the helicoid :

Milled housing and a front portion of the triplet helix enough to get infinity:

On the triplet it was no filter thread. I took chinese 58mm metal hood (it has on the one hand thread 58x1 and 62x1 on second, ideal for filter and cap)))
Cut it!!)

And glued:

This is done to make possibility to unscrew lens bloc of the triplet in the future.

Glued triplet lens block to new helicoid)

Conversion done)
Minimum focus distance is about 60cm, a small flight for infinity - a lot of cut made )))
thread under the hood, for filters and caps ) It remains only to paint a little bit - there are a couple of scratches on the body))

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange but nice work!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
strange but nice work!

Why it strange?)) Nice way to killing time instead of drinking beer)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job altogether, can you use it with other projector lenses or is this a one off job?

You deserve a beer for this! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gothic_Snake wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
strange but nice work!

Why it strange?))

so many parts from different sources
(4, did I count right?)

I once converted Helios 44M to Kiev 4am but I didn't have lathe or skills to use it.

I used cardboard & stuff instead. Result wasn't amazing but I did take some photos with it. That was before mirrorless cameras were cheaply available.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Nice job altogether, can you use it with other projector lenses or is this a one off job?

You deserve a beer for this! Wink

Thanks!)
I cannot change lens block in this helicoid. It's built solid) And need more lathe works to adapt for another projector lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:

so many parts from different sources
(4, did I count right?)

I once converted Helios 44M to Kiev 4am but I didn't have lathe or skills to use it.

I used cardboard & stuff instead. Result wasn't amazing but I did take some photos with it. That was before mirrorless cameras were cheaply available.

Yes, it's made from 4 parts:
1. Lens block.
2. Mir 1 helicoid.
3. M42-EOS adapter.
4. 58mm metal screw hood.

I tried to make complete factory-look lens, with solid construct. I like final results.
Anyway this conversion made for fun!)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some tests.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work IMO Wink

What did you shoot on? (camera)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Nice work IMO Wink

What did you shoot on? (camera)

All pictures shoot on Canon 5d MkII. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely curved flowers in the back! The difference between the left and right edge is caused by distance or lens misalignment? I also have Triplet 78/2.8 but never tried it on camera, any more pics from that series?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
Nicely curved flowers in the back! The difference between the left and right edge is caused by distance or lens misalignment? I also have Triplet 78/2.8 but never tried it on camera, any more pics from that series?

It caused by distance of background flowers. There is no misaligment. Maybe there was in lens block, but not atfer conversion. I didn't disassemble last one only made helicoid for it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work. Mine is an Isco Westanar projection lens on a Supertak body. Need four more unused bodies for my other projection lens.