Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trip to Russia
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Trip to Russia Reply with quote

Hello, I am new here. I have read a lot on this forum, it is great.
Next month I go to Russia for a one month job so I have an ocassion to buy few Russian lenses. The question is:
what are the best 3 lenses worth buying? Focal lenghts 50-135. I need lenses for fashion work, excellent background blur (lots of aperture blades) and very clean, transparent image; neutral colour, 3D "look".
The camera is eos 5D.
Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here! Thank you for joining us!

My suggestion is:

Helios-40-85mm f1.5 M39 works fine with additional M39->M42 ring
Helios-40-2-85mm f1.5 M42 basically same but more expensive

Kaleinar 100mm f2.8
Tair 11A- 135mm f2.8 Black M39 and M42 both are available both SLR lens
Tair-11 133mm f2.8 M39 SLR silver

Jupiter-9 2/85mm any SLR variant black or silver !! Careful! It has rangefinder version too! SLR version is like a grenade small like 50mm lens

Vega 90mm f2.8

With all lenses you can found examples in mflenses.com/gallery

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Nice to see you here! Thank you for joining us!

My suggestion is:

Helios-40-85mm f1.5 M39 works fine with additional M39->M42 ring
Helios-40-2-85mm f1.5 M42 basically same but more expensive

Kaleinar 100mm f2.8
Tair 11A- 135mm f2.8 Black M39 and M42 both are available both SLR lens
Tair-11 133mm f2.8 M39 SLR silver

Jupiter-9 2/85mm any SLR variant black or silver !! Careful! It has rangefinder version too! SLR version is like a grenade small like 50mm lens

Vega 90mm f2.8

With all lenses you can found examples in mflenses.com/gallery

Oh if you need neutral color by any AF lens instead...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oh if you need neutral color by any AF lens instead..."
I have them all! Wink

Will check the lenses you proposed, thank you. Using Russian lenses I can get different look, that's what I hope for.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just see you need 50mm lenses too,
Arsenal 1.4/50mm
Helios-40 any variant
Industar any variant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest Helios-40-2 (the black one), MC Jupiter-9 (or you can pick up a few non-MC lenses for real cheap once you are there), Tair-11A (again, the black one).

If you are going to buy more than three, I suggest getting MC Jupiter-37A (or cheaper non-MC), and maybe Jupiter-6 (the black one, if you can find it). You can also get Helios-44-6 or 44-7, these are really cheap. Kaleinar 5H is also a good one, but may be rare.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this will be somewhat repeating...

I would suggest that in no case you omit getting Helios 40 (I have one borrowed from a friend and it's enchanting).

as a choice no.2, I would suggest (although it doesn't fall into 50-135 category) Zenitar 16/2.8 fisheye. In Russia it should be cheap, and it's great. Especially on 5D.

as a choice no.3 I would suggest something of the following:

Jupiter 9 MC (I don't know if multicoating makes difference on this one, mine is non-MC and it has great contrast and colors) which is Zeiss Sonnar 85/2 copy, 12 aperture blades

again outside of 50-135 category, but great lowlight lens (although not much of a landscape lens) - MIR 24M - 35/2

Jupiter 11A - Zeiss Sonnar 135/4 copy, 12 aperture blades, great bokeh
Jupiter 37A - Zeiss Sonnar 135/3.5 copy, many blades

Volna 9 - 50/2.8 macro
Industar 50 - 50/3.5 tessar

I would seek Carl Zeiss Jena and Pentacon lens as well, they should be in abundance.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One lens that almost nobody knows, very few have, and I rank amongst the top Soviet lenses: the MIR-36B 65mm f/3.5

One of the sharpest lenses that I have, and if you see one you should buy it. It should cost around 40-50 Euros.
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
One lens that almost nobody knows, very few have, and I rank amongst the top Soviet lenses: the MIR-36B 65mm f/3.5

One of the sharpest lenses that I have, and if you see one you should buy it. It should cost around 40-50 Euros.
-

I see a few of this on the bay, but they are for Salut, Kiev 88. Is there an EOS adapter for this or is there M42 version of it? And how's the performance on crop camera?

[EDIT] ...forgot that google is a friend. Found that DVD Technik sells adapters for these. The 2nd questions remains Smile Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bawang wrote:
And how's the performance on crop camera?

Excellent.
This is a shot I took with the 5D:

To figure how it works on a crop camera, just consider the centre of this frame.
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bawang wrote:
Orio wrote:

-

I see a few of this on the bay, but they are for Salut, Kiev 88. Is there an EOS adapter for this or is there M42 version of it? And how's the performance on crop camera?

[EDIT] ...forgot that google is a friend. Found that DVD Technik sells adapters for these. The 2nd questions remains Smile Any thoughts?

Get the one for the Pentacon Six mount, the 36-B. The older ones with the early Kiev -V mount are adaptable, but it's a pain in the arse. Avoid the quickscrew mount, only get the P6.