Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trick to adapt mf lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Trick to adapt mf lens Reply with quote

Hi all,
First post here.

Here is my little problem. I have an Exactar 35mm f2.8 (http://allphotolenses.com/public/files/img/eb739c89cb602ba164e2b5560dcfa50e.jpg). I use a m42 to EOS adapter to use it on my Canon 6D.

In all other MF lenses I have (Takumar and such), when you screw the adapter the pin enter all the way. Then when you change the apparatus manually, the iris close down.

On my Exactar, when the adapter is screwed in, the pin is pushed, by I can't go beyond f8. I can still turn the apparatus ring, but the iris no longer close.

When I remove the adapter and put my apparatus to f22. Then when I push the pin, the iris close down as it should.

It feels like the pin needs a punch to close really small, not to being pushed down a priori.

Have anyone ever got that problem? How did you solve it?

I was initially thinking of gluing down the pin, but it wouldn't work, since it needs the punch above f8.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be an option:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/kipon-m42-pk-adapter.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like your adapter is not pushing the pin in far enough for the lens. Try simply wedging the pin fully in before fitting it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
It sounds like your adapter is not pushing the pin in far enough for the lens. Try simply wedging the pin fully in before fitting it.

Thanks!

This was my original thought. If I fully press the pin and turn the apparatus ring, the iris stops shrinking around f8. If I continue to turn nothing happen all the way to f22. Then if I release the pin and repress it, then the iris close to f22.

So the problem is not about how deeply I press it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is probably some oil on the blades so they need some speed to overcome the friction, in that case the only real remedy is to open up the lens and clean the blades.
In warmer conditions oil is usually less sticky so that might be a temporary solution to open en close them repeatedly for some time to get them loosened a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cut a disk/donut from a plastic food lid, and shim between the adapters flange the the pin is to press against, you may have to experiment to get the right thickness.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are up to removing the mounting ring at the rear of the lens then make a small spacer from the end of a Ballpoint pen refill tube.
About 3mm-4mm should do it.Slip it over the pin and put the pin back in place.Some people find this stage difficult but a small magnet held over the pin whilst putting the ring/cover back in place otherwise it will just drop out.Otherwise,put ring upside down on benche/table and place the lens on top,I found that method a bit fiddly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't stop down past f/8.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lens needs servicing.