Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trees SMC K 24/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Trees SMC K 24/2.8 Reply with quote

stiched panoramic shot with polarizer resulting in strange vignetting:

Cheers
Tobbsman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame Tobbsman - it could have been really spectacular.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it very much! Superb picture to me!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy ... maybe without this vignetting it would be boring.

Cheers
Tobbsman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Trees SMC K 24/2.8 Reply with quote

tobbsman wrote:
stiched panoramic shot with polarizer resulting in strange vignetting

It's not strange, it's normal - polarizers work well only with lenses with a field angle less than 75° (about the FA of a 28mm lens).
With larger angles the polarized light begins to variate because the light is coming from an angle that is too wide for the polarizer to encompass.
Creating that horrible effect of sky with a band of different luminosity.
In spite of that, however, your photo is still really good !!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe nice to illustrate storm damage but not appealing as landscape,
I have see superb landscape from Tobs, for this one I would only keep the last right frame

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commenting on the technical side of the photograph, it would be better to make HDR exposures instead of using a polarizer (creating the effect you see, unless it is what you want). A good strategy is to make 3 exposures (-2EV, 0EV and +2EV) per frame.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Commenting on the technical side of the photograph, it would be better to make HDR exposures instead of using a polarizer (creating the effect you see, unless it is what you want). A good strategy is to make 3 exposures (-2EV, 0EV and +2EV) per frame.

Hi fotomachi !
I think I do not understand what you exactly mean. This motive is not really a HDR motive, isn't it?
There was no problem of exposing everything wright.

And it would be hell of a work to make a HDR panorama. This shot is a stiched panorama from more then 20 single 24mm frames; that was necessary that everything fitted on the picture like it is.
It is an viewing angle of about 150°. Renderd in planar mode.

So if I would make a HDR panorama with that much frames, it would take days (with my knowledge) to get it wright. And if I would do a HDR pano one day, I would definitly search for a better motive/scenery Laughing Laughing Laughing

The reason why I used a polarizer was just to make sky a bit darker and to boost colors. I did several stiching works before where I also used a polarizer (even with a 16mm wide angle) but never got a heavy vignetting like this time. I was surprised a bit.

Cheers Tobbsman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobbsman,
if you want to stitch this landscape with the polarizer, you can do it, but you should need to rotate the polarizer slightly after each shot to compensate for the change of angle.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This shot is the case for use a nd gradual filter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piticu wrote:

yes, I agree piticu.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of the polarizer I think its a nice picture.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobbsman wrote:
And it would be hell of a work to make a HDR panorama. This shot is a stiched panorama from more then 20 single 24mm frames; that was necessary that everything fitted on the picture like it is.
It is an viewing angle of about 150°. Renderd in planar mode. So if I would make a HDR panorama with that much frames, it would take days (with my knowledge) to get it wright. And if I would do a HDR pano one day, I would definitly search for a better motive/scenery Laughing Laughing Laughing

It would take a long time but not days. To combine 60 exposures, I'd say a full day: two hours preparation time and overnight computer calculation. I usually make the preparations before I go to bed and when returning home from work the day after, the panorama is finished. HDR panoramas require more time then non-HDR panoramas though. And there is more chance something goes wrong (moving leaves, water, etc). Here is an example of 64 exposures (non-HDR) and here is a 78-exposure HDR-panorama. The last one is not very good because of its poorly chosen viewpoint, but it gives you an idea...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your interesting comments.

@Orio:
Quote:
if you want to stitch this landscape with the polarizer, you can do it, but you should need to rotate the polarizer slightly after each shot to compensate for the change of angle.

Yes that sounds reasonable to me. I will give it a try! You really think I can get blues in the same color/darknes all over that ~150° angle with this technique? I can't believe that ... Rolling Eyes

@piticu
Quote:

... I even had a nd grad with me. Did not thought on using it for this scenery.
Normaly I use it only in situations where the sky really would damage the exposure of the rest of the scenery.
(I think that was a chrome NDgrad)

e.g.:

(SMC M 28/2.8 )

@fotomachi
Thanks for the great information and the links ... very interesting stuff.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobbsman wrote:
(I think that was a chrome NDgrad)
I'm sorry, i don't know what is that. Someone can please explain it to me?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, stupid me.
It is a Cookin cromo graduate filter which I used. It is not ND (natural density). In german we say "Chrom-Blau Filter", it makes a kind of blue-metallic graduation ...
hmmm ... how can I explain this in English ?!

Cheers Tobbsman