Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tough treatment...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Tough treatment... Reply with quote

Well, I have never treated a lens like that...

I have got a Kaleinar-5N 2.8/100 which is a fantastic lens with wonderful colours.
Unfortunately it has some fungus inside.

This is what I did to kill it - the fungus, not the lens!

1) I took it apart as far as possible and cleaned the internal lenses, but I could not get inbetween the two front elements.
2) I had a strong UV-lamp shine on the lens for a couple of hours.
3) I put it into a box with some dehumidifying bags inside for several months. The fungus did not come back, but of course the filaments at the front element were still there but had not grown any further.

And now the weird parts follow ...
4) I put into a baking oven for 10 minutes at 80°C to kill the fungus. I have read somewhere that any protein will dissolve when heated to more than 60°C for several minutes. So, I thought destroying the protein chains inside the filaments might kill them. Wink
> The lens survived and did still work perfectly!

5) I put the lens into a plastic box with a puddle of de-fungus liquid that works with chlorine at the bottom of this box. The lens did not get in contact with the liquid but I wanted the chlorine gases to permeate the lens internals.
> The lens survived and still works perfectly.

The filaments are still there, of course, but I hope that I have killed them now.

This is a shot I took tonight with the Kaleinar on the Fuji S1 pro (M-mode, ISO800):

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the fungus torture chambers , bit it sure is a nice looking camera.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Carsten!.
The results are very promising...
Thanks for sharing!

Jes.