Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tou Five Star 28mm, f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfkid wrote:
I have a TOU/FIVE STAR 200mm 1:4.5 I bought on eBay for $9.99 shipped. Looks like new. Use it for bird pictures at the beach. Smile I like it a lot.

I assume these 'birds' are of the feathered variety? Wink Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
mfkid wrote:
I have a TOU/FIVE STAR 200mm 1:4.5 I bought on eBay for $9.99 shipped. Looks like new. Use it for bird pictures at the beach. Smile I like it a lot.

I assume these 'birds' are of the feathered variety? Wink Smile

Yep, birds with feathers and such. That's what we are doing with that 200mm lens at the beach. Smile On a Canon 10D.

[img]
[/img]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more: Sony NEX-5N + Tou/Five Star 28mm, f2.8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
Yes, but it's fun Ian. Laughing We could be doing useful stuff, but it's much more fun to laze around and argue about who made what over the internet. Rolling Eyes

As long as it's all taken in good spirit, then have at it! Smile

I feel in good spirit is the positive approach too. There will always be new seekers for info on the origins of a newly acquired lens.
That's why I came here and found useful leads. But what is failing here, is there is no sticky created (at least I couldn't find.)
for origin of manufacture. If valid proof is provided in one thread, then the arguing and debate won't recycle.
As for origin pertaining to this lens, the Ozunon, Ensinor...

it seems pretty strong evidence that Ozunon is made by a company Ozone Optical. And unless Toyo Optics is the same company, that would make them separate manufacturers. In another thread, Ensinor and Promaster 24mm were speculated to be by Cimko, which they can't be.

http://forum.mflenses.com/looking-for-24mm-lens-advice-needed-t42561,start,30.html

I just picked up that Promaster 24mm and it's identical in appearance to the Ozunon. (Unfortunately, my sample is de-centered. So, QC issues exist with these makers.)
Therefore, one can conclude these lenses are sourced from Ozone Optical.

Small Japanese manufacturers have a history of having partners OEM supply each other with a finished or partly finished product.
True in the camera industry too, but so far it's been only speculation and no hard evidence posted here of who is in bed with who with these obscure brands.

I think it would be great if the knowledgeable members here would collaborate on one paramount thread on lens family tree, before this info and history is lost for good.

Back to topic, the other good (or bad) thing about MFLenses is discovering another lens you didn't need!
Very Happy
No thanks to these great sample photos, I just bought myself a Five Star in Canon FD mount to try out.
But I had to pay a whopping 200% for it than AstroZon! LOL!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
it seems pretty strong evidence that Ozunon is made by a company Ozone Optical. And unless Toyo Optics is the same company, that would make them separate manufacturers. In another thread, Ensinor and Promaster 24mm were speculated to be by Cimko, which they can't be.

http://forum.mflenses.com/looking-for-24mm-lens-advice-needed-t42561,start,30.html

I just picked up that Promaster 24mm and it's identical in appearance to the Ozunon. (Unfortunately, my sample is de-centered. So, QC issues exist with these makers.)
Therefore, one can conclude these lenses are sourced from Ozone Optical.

My thoughts exactly. There is a room for Toyo besides Ozone and Cimko.

Cimko made splendid wide-angles. IMHO much better then tele. Here MT series 24mm: http://forum.mflenses.com/cimko-mt-series-mc-24mm-f-2-8-t33373.html
And 28mm: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/34675-cimko-mt-series-28mm-f-2-8-a.html

Pre-MT version is also great, frequently found as Auto-Beroflex: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ionescuniculae/sets/72157648756355867
http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_2017.html

Early version is good lens but lacks MC and is a bit outdated: http://www.digicamclub.de/showthread.php?t=8931

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
casualcollector wrote:
CIMa KOgaku did a steady business as a maker of private label lenses through the 70s and 80s. Lentar, Focal and CPC are three that come to mind, though all three also used other suppliers. .

ALL magnon lenses were cimko lenses
Vivitar 28-50 was a cimko lens

Quality was medium/low but another big problem of cimko lenses was they did not have the dof preview button (om and m42 lenses)

Based on the Cimko lenses I've tried, I agree they are medium to low quality.

Neither Cimko, nor Ozone made the well-respected Ensinor/Clubman 24 and 28mm lenses, we're still not 100% sure but Toyo is a likely candidate, this is the 28mm:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Five Star arrived the other day, and unfortunately, it's a dud. The mount and aperture ring is jammed. Seller was just a picker and resold the lens not knowing its history or health.
I was refunded and told I could dispose of it.
So, I investigated. Looks like someone opened it and reassembled it wrong....tried to use it and bent several linkages inside, also some springs and balls missing.
But the glass is clean and clear, and managed to get it mounted on a camera body for a few shots.

It's a sharp, and colorful lens. Edge to edge details. Similar to the above samples. But I do seem to be seeing some vignetting that isn't evident in Astrozon's.
It's a nice 28mm lens! This "L" Toyo made Five Star gets my recommendation! Need to find another copy.

DSC00019a_Five Star 28mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC00023_Five Star 28mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC00018_Five Star 28mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC00013_Five Star 28mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving the thread a bump....

I successfully found another copy, and a good one, with Minolta SR mount. This time, I managed to take the lowest cost award..$0.99 + $2.54 shipping.
Very Happy

Took the lens with me on several outings and the photos are gratifying. A great 28mm find.

Here I'm using it capturing what happens when two storm fronts collide. A Monsoon thunderstorm from the East meets a medium sized dust storm coming in from the South at 50mph.
Lightning highlights the wall of dust approximately 2500-3000 feet high.

fATAL aTTRACTION I by wNG 555, on Flickr
fATAL aTTRACTION III by wNG 555, on Flickr
mEXICAN sTANDOFF by wNG 555, on Flickr
fATAL aTTRACTION V by wNG 555, on Flickr
fATAL aTTRACTION VI by wNG 555, on Flickr
fATAL aTTRACTION VII by wNG 555, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be Tokina made? Te chrome mount looks very Tokina to me. Much like my 28 and 24mm 2.8.