Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Total Lunar Eclipse - December 20/21, 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Not bad....thanks for showing me what can be done.
If it remains open sky and no clouds I may have another go tonight...and play with the settings...and take the mozzie repellent Evil or Very Mad
I have a few 2x converters in my box of goodies should I try one of those on the Tamron?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo, many congratulations on these shots. I've tried several times to get decent moon pics and it's not easy at all. I think you totally eclipsed my efforts! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great lunar series Mo!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo I'd say go ahead and give the teleconverters a try, but I think you'll find that there is no improvement in detail -- just a larger image. I've found this to be true with my Tamron 2x and 1.4x, my Vivitar 2xs and my Nikon TC14b. Unfortunately. Smile On the plus side, I've found that with a good TC the image degradation caused by its use is usually negligible.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I used the vivitar 3x converter,first I had to find the moon Laughing Then wondered why I could not see any images when i took a photo...I had to change the speed to a very slow speed...and that caused some shake in most photos Sad I am not sure if they are worth showing? You were right Michael the 3X brought the moon into full frame...very impressive but the camera shake was more evident through the viewfinder.I have to read the K200D manual and see if there are any settings to help in this area.

TamronSP500 + Vivitar 3 X Tele converter
Here are 2 images the first is about the best I could get with the shake and the 2nd was mucking around with the speed from fast down to slow...interesting effect the speed has on the image! I really kick myself for not getting an earlier image of the moon on the horizon with the native gum trees silhouetted against the moon...this at least can try again to capture.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah....been looking forward to the lunar eclipse for months. But I live in Southern California, where it never rains, but....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Well I used the vivitar 3x converter,first I had to find the moon Laughing Then wondered why I could not see any images when i took a photo...I had to change the speed to a very slow speed...and that caused some shake in most photos Sad I am not sure if they are worth showing? You were right Michael the 3X brought the moon into full frame...very impressive but the camera shake was more evident through the viewfinder.I have to read the K200D manual and see if there are any settings to help in this area.

Moira, in my 27-some-odd years of photography, I've never owned nor used a 3x TC. Mostly because I've never heard much good about them, I suppose. And when using one when taking shots of the moon, things can get tricky. You've already mentioned the two main problems: losing shutter speed and camera shake. With a 3x, you're losing 3 stops of light. So the 1/125 second @ f/8 @ ISO 100 becomes 1/15 second with the 3x. I consider 1/15 second to be borderline when it comes to shooting the moon because of the speed of the Earth's rotation. And at 1500mm, the slightest bump with even a sturdy tripod is gonna show a wild amount of gyrations of the image. So at this speed and magnification, really I would recommend a remote release because I don't think a 10-second self-timer will be long enough before the image settles down all the way. If your camera has any provisions for mirror lock up or pre-release, you should also use that. The big challenge then becomes focusing and having to deal with all the shake while doing so.

Of course, if your camera handles higher ISO settings well, then by all means, bump up the ISO. My camera starts showing noticeable noise at ISO 200, which is why I try to work within that constraint. But if you don't have this problem, then there isn't any reason why you shouldn't increase your ISO to incease your shutter speed.

But I still think that, after all's been said and done, when you compare the images taken with the TC to those taken without one, the TC's images are not gonna contain any more information than the original 500mm image will, and will probably contain less.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Advice,I have been reading the camera manual...something I should have done before I started taking moon shots Embarassed
Apparently the K200D has a 12 sec timer...not sure what difference 2 secs makes...but at least I have the option of using this feature and will see what the difference is next time around (now to wait on the clouds to part and another full moon).I did learn something else the manual mentioned about turning off the IS on the Pentax when doing these night shoots and when using a tripod... something I did not think about.