Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcor RE 85/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some photos made recently with the subject, as far as I remember, wide open at 5DII:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fourth one is just great, thanks for sharing !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shots indeed! Great lens it is!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, but I get the feeling that these shots are slightly front focused which is easy to do if the focus screen is not calibrated to the sensor as accurately as it should be(the path to the focus screen is shorter then to the sensor). http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/test-fsen.htm
Easy to test with news print, just focus on a line then compare where the plane of focus is in the file.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice lens with great results.
I had to laugh at the last one - my own children wore the same expression when I produced a camera.
OH Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the lovely comments, its not so easy to catch the focus with the lens since the DOF is quite small. I have a standard Canon's matt screen for 5D, the lens adapter is without focus confirm chip and not so much time to catch the focus if I shooting my children. Here is another example with 100% crop:

By the way the lens on my camera constantly needs at least -2/3 stops EV compensation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's better. Very Happy
I'm finding my NEX-7 & A7r much easier to nail focus because I actually see what the sensor see's vs an approximation based on the type of focus screen used, the standard focus screen in my 1DIII was designed to make the viewfinder brighter(like most AF DSLR's) but that sacrificed DOF accuracy, putting in the 'S' screen for faster lenses really helped, then I discovered the shimmer that can happen with the focus screen(and with EVF's), and that really helps you to see the plane of focus, it's like focus peaking.
Reviewing my pictures on my 40D & 1DIII was a joke because the LCD didn't show the files true sharpness, just a fuzzy representation, the Sony's are much better to judge sharpness on, so that really helps.
I have zero desire to go back to a DSLR.... We'll I did love the feel of my 1DIII, so I do kind of miss that.

Look for the Ee-S focus screen for the 5D
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/CDLC_FocusingScreens_QuickGuide.pdf
The split prism and micro prism are also very helpful.

Quote:
By the way the lens on my camera constantly needs at least -2/3 stops EV compensation.

Do other lenses do this? That's weird....
Check that the setting in the menu for the focus screen type is correct, a previous owner may have used and removed the S screen but forgot to reset the setting.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
my own children wore the same expression when I produced a camera.

Dad! Really???

I remember it well. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks excellent, but this one is my favorite. Good image pop and wonderful color and bokeh.

Max78 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One just went for $921.01 USD....

Looked in good order with the hood and all...

My bid ended up being pitiful..... Rolling Eyes

Don't laugh....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, nice! Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
My bid ended up being pitiful..... Rolling Eyes

I set up a snipe and was a few hundred off the mark. Getting crazy out there. . .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see one for a year then right after I buy mine....
Oh we'll, moving on, I am still hunting an FD SSC 85/1.2 Aspherical.... Then on to my last big purchases Contax 28/2 & 35-70, & my replacement Rokkor MC 35/1.8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Yep, nice! Click here to see on Ebay

You won? is it worth that much?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I see one sold for $4xx only without the hood in so-so condition. Another two with hood for $650 Click here to see on Ebay or $800 Click here to see on Ebay. Why this one with little tight focus ring and marks in inner element can sell for over $900???

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Last year I see one sold for $4xx only without the hood in so-so condition. Another two with hood for $650 Click here to see on Ebay or $800 Click here to see on Ebay. Why this one with little tight focus ring and marks in inner element can sell for over $900???

When I do a search for completed(or sold)auctions "Topcor 85 1.8" worldwide, those don't show up, nor does mine, WTF??? Gives an item a false feeling of elevated rarity... Which is as bad as fraud really because the info is still in their system. Some days I hate ebay.
I really wish they would keep track of history for a year or two, especially the rare stuff
http://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/sr
Quote:
Completed listings are available for items that have sold within the last 90 days and for items that didn't sell within the last 30 days. Note: Completed Motors vehicle listings are available for listings that have ended within the last 15 days.

Mine is from February but doesn't show up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one the reason why KevinCameras can sell some rare items at much higher than average price.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Maybe this thread brought attention to it? We can be our own worst enemy. Ever since I started posting about Topcor, prices have gone up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Maybe this thread brought attention to it? We can be our own worst enemy. Ever since I started posting about Topcor, prices have gone up.

May be or may not be. It is hard to evaluate the effect of this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

I remember that I was especially buffled by the $800 one because it was listed by a new zero-feedback seller.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always the possibility of shill bidding to drive up the price.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:
Always the possibility of shill bidding to drive up the price.

Not in this Case. The last 6 bidders have all used a sniper and luckily
for the seller the max. bids were extremly high.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is Shill bidding and what is Sniper?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These last comments have nothing to do with that lens in discussion guys.
I'm very tempted to split that off and clean this discussion up...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
What is Shill bidding and what is Sniper?

Shill:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill
A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the seller.
Sniper: waiting till the last moment to enter a higher bid either manually or with a program in an effort to prevent others from having time to raise their bid to beat their bid.