Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcor RE 85/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max78 wrote:
Quote:

All the known copies of Topcon 85 has serial of 13300xxx.

I also have one, but the serial is 133011xx, so it seems to be more than 1000 pieces produced Smile

Can you provide a picture of the name ring?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Max78 wrote:
Quote:

All the known copies of Topcon 85 has serial of 13300xxx.

I also have one, but the serial is 133011xx, so it seems to be more than 1000 pieces produced Smile

Can you provide a picture of the name ring?

Here it is (please sorry for the bad light conditions, its already a little dark in the Europe):

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite nice!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the proof, so 1200 made?
Please feel free to post more shots from it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see a copy with >1000 serial!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll I received my lens last Thursday, and was shocked to see the condition my new lens was in.

The foam in the case had turned to dust, the seller claims they had the lens in a bag and then put in the case, that FedEx opened it and removed the bag for inspection.
What ever happened, it's now contaminated with fine dust.
I asked if he would be willing to split the cost of a Clean & Lube, he said sure, I asked if $100 was fair, he responded with
"usually cleaning cost only $50-60.
beside all you need just blow the dust,dust won't get in helicoid or glass because protect by caps.
you know is not my fault,custom didn't put in the bag."

Which I responded with
"The dust was past both of the caps, then there are the gaps at both ends of the focus ring which lead to the optics and helicoid, and from experience, it's only a matter of time till it gets everywhere, I've removed as much dust as I could, but I don't know how much remains in areas I can't see in without opening it up.

I don't know who's fault it is, all I know is I received what should have been a clean lens just covered in very fine dust, like baking flour.
Re: cleaning cost.
As an example...
KEH's flat rate for a prime lens is $120 (could be $230 for fast/high end glass) not that I'd use them since I don't think they have much experience with Topcor lenses).
http://www.keh.com/Repair-Center.aspx (PDF on the right)
Plus shipping cost, so that is ~$200"

Then his response...
"please ship back to me,i will take care of it.
cleaning cost here just $50-60,beside it is very simple cleaning,not even need open the glass."

Now what?
I don't really want to send it to him as I don't trust him any more. And I want to keep the lens as it is sharp(see below)
A7r first shot At the FedEx parking lot.

Another near by.(check out the fence @100%)

Opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear that. If you do not want to send the lens back, open a PayPal dispute and ask for a partial refund. Put this into the Buyer Sources section and let others know what happened.

P.S. The photos on your Flickr are protected.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the dust can be just blown/wiped off from the outside, and cleaned from external glass surface with lens wipes. I would say it's unlikely that enough dust entered the inside of the lens to affect image quality in the slightest. If I were you, I would accept a reasonable partial refund and keep the lens. Shipping it back will cost you $$$, and getting another Topcor in any condition is iffy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it to a good company that can clean it and indeed it should be around $50-60 only. There is a very good company in Florida that a member here uses who work very well. I can PM you the address if you like...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or try to contact member Mir if it really need to be cleaned.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the guy Mir uses Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
That is the guy Mir uses Wink

I think he do the CLA himself. LOL

Please pm me the address too. My friend may need it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it cleaned! Over here, it would be around 50-60, so I guess, it will be in the same range where you live.

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm just going to clean it and be done with it all.
Any other lens and I would have sent it back and looked for another, but this lens is so hard to come by...

I can't wait till spring when the colour comes back from vacation, I so miss the colour, winter is so bland to me, brown and grey dominate the landscape with a few greens from the evergreens to remind me how things can be.
Ps. Klaus, feel free to pm or post the contact info for the company.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would gladly like to do it .... but you run the chance of never seeing it again Very Happy

Joke aside... this is not an ordinary RE, Auto-Topcor 1,8/58, cheap and available...
this one is scarce, very desirable and can get extremely expensive... and i suspect, a very good lens....
One i still dream about .... (you lucky *%$#, you !)

I wouldn't service it if it wasn't mine...

And i would have it CLA'd if i was in your shoes....... $50 or whatever is well worth it in mho, for such a lens....
The exterior is pretty easy to clean, but some of this powder stuff has probably made its way into the lens....
And the thing is 40 some years old, it would benefit from brand new lube and a bit of cleaning...
Most RE, Auto Topcor i've opened were filthy and the lubricant had broken up.....

I've written as other have done, about Marc ....
http://forum.mflenses.com/lens-repair-ebay-user-100-feedback-t61112.html
I'll update this thread soon as he has serviced many other lenses for me since.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fedex opens up the box and inspect the lens!? Hell i don't want anyone to touch my precious lens!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had boxes opened by Customs but they have never opened the plastic bags that held the lens as they can see through the plastic that it is indeed the lens mentioned on the customs docket.
I have also never seen packaging reduced to powder before.
This sounds quite odd to me.
Still and all it is a rare lens and well worth the effort and cost to have it CLA'd
OH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the foam from within the 40 year old Topcon lens case that had turned to dust, and the vibration of shipping sent it everywhere inside the case, I still don't know why it was even in the case if the foam was so bad, even if it was sealed in plastic, dust would have covered the bag, I don't know what people think some days.
I'm in talks with Marc(from Mir's link) to have it all cleaned and lubed to better than pre-shipped condition, seems like a level head that knows his limits.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

I'm in talks with Marc(from Mir's link) to have it all cleaned and lubed to better than pre-shipped condition, seems like a level head that knows his limits.

Good move.
This is such a well regarded lens and so hard to come by.
You will not be disappointed
OH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is a shame they left the photography industry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just scored myself a copy of "The Topcon Story" by Marco Antonetto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please scan it, make a PDF and share it....
They just can't be found......

Thanks in advance

And while your looking at the book, maybe you should staighten out this old thread:
http://forum.mflenses.com/topcor-re-auto-28mm-f2-8-t61840,highlight,%2Btopcor.html

Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

Congrats, a rare find, I'm looking since many months, but low prio...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
Please scan it, make a PDF and share it....
They just can't be found......

Wink
Quote:

Thanks in advance

And while your looking at the book, maybe you should staighten out this old thread:
http://forum.mflenses.com/topcor-re-auto-28mm-f2-8-t61840,highlight,%2Btopcor.html

Thanks again

I'll try.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

Congrats, a rare find, I'm looking since many months, but low prio...

Bought it from http://peterloy.com/ has lots of other photography related stuff.