Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcor -> M42 Conversion Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Topcor -> M42 Conversion Question Reply with quote

Hi All,

A quick question, if I may, arising in connection the RE-Topcor -> M42 conversion (remounting) process.

I have three Topcors to convert, and I am currently awaiting delivery of the new mounts. I had a spare few minutes the other day, so I thought I would try loosening the lenses' mount screws (having read that Topcor screws are sometimes very stubborn).

Well, you can probably see where this is going: eleven screws loosened with no problem. The twelfth, however - well, let's just say that the head is now so damaged as not to be readily removable. I plan to Dremel it out - no other choice, really - but that will leave this lens, of course, one screw shy of the proper number.

In the short term, I suspect that I will be able to use the lens in question with the mount secured only by the three screws. In the longer term, I would very much like to find a replacement for the missing fourth.

Hence my question - questions, I suppose. Does anyone happen to know the correct screw size (slotted) for this application? And can anyone suggest a good online source for the replacement screw? I would gladly buy a reasonable minimum quantity, and I'd be happy to buy a screw assortment if necessary.

If all else fails, I may pay a visit to a local watch repair establishment, just to see if the folks there might have a usable replacement screw in the parts bin.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a photo of what the screw looks like?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am borrowing this image from another site.

Is it one of these slotted ones? Have you found one yet?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Profound apologies - I had forgotten to check in on this thread. Many thanks for the replies.

The screw is indeed one of the slotted style. They look so quiet and unassuming in a photo like that one; it's only when you actually take a screwdriver to them that their true nature comes out.

Because my M42 conversion kits are probably still a couple of weeks away from being delivered, I haven't actually taken out any screws - just loosened them. But I can certainly remove one, measure it, photograph it - whatever might be helpful.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pulled one to check. M1.7 metric.

Here's a discussion of JCIS screws:

http://www.buonaluce.com/JCIS.pdf

One source of the screws, North West Short Line (http://www.nwsl.com).