Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcor lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Topcor lenses Reply with quote

Hi All
My first post here, I have just acquired a few Topcor lenses, these are as follows: RE Gn 1:1.8 f=50mm, Re, Auto-Topcor 1:3.5 f=13,5cm, RE AutoTopcor 1:2.8 f=28mm, & a RE,AutoTopcor 1:4 f=20mm. I intend to use them on my Sony cameras & i am waiting for an adaptor to arrive from overseas.

All of the lenses seem to be in working order with no major scratches on the glass, the only one that is giving me a bit of trouble is the 50mm which is hard to focus due to the old grease.

My question is are any of these worth anything? I do not intend selling them just curious. Also I am able to find a bit about most of the lenses except for the 50mm f 1.8. Any ideas?

Hopefully judging by the pictures on this site I am not going to be dissapointed when the adaptor arrives.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for gn 50mm f1.8. It would be interesting to see your examples of FF camera.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will put some pictures up when I get the adaptor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Topcor RE. GN line is quite rare. Enjoy :]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Any idea where I could find out more about the RE GN line of lenses?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adonuff wrote:
Thanks, Any idea where I could find out more about the RE GN line of lenses?

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/beseler/beseler_topcon_re_gn_lens/topcor_re_gn_lens.htm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "The Topcon Story"
RE GN 50/1.8 1973
Code 158B SN 15800001-15805360(last known) so around 6000 copies. (Around 4000 copies of the GN 50/1.4 15700001-15703625 last known)
6 elements, a new optical and mechanical design.
280g
GN = Guide Number, the lenses were designed to work with their Flash-Matic system, there is a ratchet pin that regulated the opening and closing of the diaphragm based on focus distance.

The previous RE 58/1.8 129B is a great lens, so if they managed to improve image quality with the new design, I'm sure you'll be very happy.
One of the last real Topcor lenses, along with the GN 50/1.4 and RE 85/1.8.
The GN 50/1.4 is the only multicoated Topcor lens.
There are only 2 GN lenses, so, not much of a line.
I see they changed the direction the focus ring turns on the GN lenses, never noticed it before, that kinda kills my interest in them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Topcor lenses Reply with quote

adonuff wrote:
Hi All
My first post here, I have just acquired a few Topcor lenses, these are as follows: RE Gn 1:1.8 f=50mm, Re, Auto-Topcor 1:3.5 f=13,5cm, RE AutoTopcor 1:2.8 f=28mm, & a RE,AutoTopcor 1:4 f=20mm. I intend to use them on my Sony cameras
Hopefully judging by the pictures on this site I am not going to be dissapointed when the adaptor arrives.

I have theses lenses as well, including the 1.8/50mm which hast a stiff focusing as well. The 1.8/50mm has a unique focusing; it is not a classical helical focusing, but rather a zoom-like mechanism. This allows a kind of non-linear movement of the lens group: a certain amount of turning the focus grip near infinity causes the lens group to move only a tiny distance; the same amount of turning at close distances moves the lens group much more. I guess that this mechanism is prone to problems.

The RE 4/20mm is a nice small superwide; at its time (about 50 years ago) it must have been one of the best retrofocus superwides:
http://www.artaphot.ch/topcon-re/re-auto-topcor-lenses/481-re-auto-topcor-20mm-f4

The RE 2.8/28mm is one of the later additions to the Topcor lineup. While its corner are pretty sharp, the lens has quite some diffiulties in the mid-field. There are certainly better 2.8/28mm MF lenses out there.
http://www.artaphot.ch/topcon-re/re-auto-topcor-lenses/482-re-auto-topcor-28mm-f28

The RE 3.5/135 is a - slightly faster - copy of Berteles Zeiss Sonnar 4/135mm Sonnar from the 1930's, but Berteles original lens has less CAs than the RE Topcor.
http://www.artaphot.ch/topcon-re/re-auto-topcor-lenses/486-re-auto-topcor-135mm-f35

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the reply's, I have a lot to learn & the response has been very helpful

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my topcons, I started with the 35 and have added others. Their Teles arent that great the 135 and 200, but the faster primes are great. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
I'm still waiting for the adaptor, have the Topcor lenses sitting on the desk ready to try. I will report back on the results when it arrives!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topcor lenses are very highly regarded. In my opinion the 58mm1.8 is an underrated normal. The 135mm is pretty good but not really valuable. 50 to 70 usd the 50mm GN is much more valuable primarily due to its rarity 200 to 300. The 20mm is about that as well. The 28mm 2.8 is also relatively rare and likely 175 to 225.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I thought they must have some $ value, not that I intend selling them. This was a great pick up as the previous owner was going to throw them in the rubbish. I was handed an old box full of assorted camera bits, the lenses were covered in dust, no lens caps fitted. fortunately they all had UV filters protecting the front & the rear was just dusty.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 20mm f4, regular value around £300. A very nice lens, use it and it won`t disappoint.

Also have a copy of the 50mm 1.8 GN, picked up very cheaply I have no idea of its value. Topcon club in Japan reckon it was the sharpest normal Topcon produced and the few shots I have with it to date suggest its not far from the 58mm 3.5 macro. Rendering lacks some of the magic of the 58mm 1.4 though ( I know the 58mm 1.4 is not for perfectionists but it`s still my favourite Japanese 50 something, having tried almost all of the well know ones and I sold my 58mm 1.8 recently as its rarely used in comparison)

I also had a problem with completely stuck focus mechanism on the GN but you can access some of it to clean without stripping out or dismantling the lens and this has allowed me to clean enough of it to regrease slightly to get it to useable level of stiffness.

The 135mm 3.5 is useful as its pretty sharp, has a good built in hood and very portable /light compared to some other 135mm legacy lenses.

Throwing these in a bucket would have been a crime lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy of 20mm f4 suffers from decentering. Otherwise, it is a good lens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Macca & Calvin

Still waiting for the adaptor, getting annoyed the lenses are sitting on the desk but I cannot try them.
Macca is it possible to explain how to partially clean the grease out with out total dismantle, I would like to give that a try before I send it away for repairs, might save a few $ & some time?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adonuff wrote:
Thanks Macca & Calvin

Still waiting for the adaptor, getting annoyed the lenses are sitting on the desk but I cannot try them.
Macca is it possible to explain how to partially clean the grease out with out total dismantle, I would like to give that a try before I send it away for repairs, might save a few $ & some time?

You set the focus to minimum distance to expose the helicoid, then use lint free cloth to clean up the old grease, drag the cloth away from the joint so you don't force dirt into it, which can cause more issues.
For this reason, I wouldn't recommend cleaning the helicoid this way, plus it's typically very hard to get enough access to do this very well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adonuff wrote:
Hi All
My first post here, I have just acquired a few Topcor lenses, these are as follows: RE Gn 1:1.8 f=50mm,
the only one that is giving me a bit of trouble is the 50mm which is hard to focus due to the old grease.

Lightshow wrote:
adonuff wrote:
Thanks Macca & Calvin

You set the focus to minimum distance to expose the helicoid, then use lint free cloth to clean up the old grease, drag the cloth away from the joint so you don't force dirt into it, which can cause more issues.
For this reason, I wouldn't recommend cleaning the helicoid this way, plus it's typically very hard to get enough access to do this very well.

The Topcor 1.8/50mm does not have a helicoid!!
As i wrote before, it has a very unique, zoom-like mechanism for focusing, thus allowing the "GN" (=guide number) mechanism to work properly.

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
adonuff wrote:
Hi All
My first post here, I have just acquired a few Topcor lenses, these are as follows: RE Gn 1:1.8 f=50mm,
the only one that is giving me a bit of trouble is the 50mm which is hard to focus due to the old grease.

Lightshow wrote:
adonuff wrote:
Thanks Macca & Calvin

The Topcor 1.8/50mm does not have a helicoid!!
As i wrote before, it has a very unique, zoom-like mechanism for focusing, thus allowing the "GN" (=guide number) mechanism to work properly.

Stephan

I forgot that he was talking about the GN.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed to get the 50mm GN working, I removed the front lens, carefully cleaned the iris with alcohol several times to remove the oil causing them to stick fully open. I then used a few drops of WD40 to free up the focus, this has diluted the old grease enough that the focus is smooth & easy to use. (I have arranged for a service after Xmas).

The good news is the adaptor arrived from China & all of the lenses work, the pictures are easily better than the kit lenses the camera came with!
They are all very sharp, my favourite so far is the 20mm RE along with the 50mm GN.

The other lens that I have not mentioned yet is an Angenieux 24mm Retrofocus type R61, this lens has had a hard life, few bits missing but the glass is still good & the results are unbelievable, the sharpness & depth of field is so much better than I expected. I believe this lens is very rare?

I think that all of these lenses were part of a pro's kit, the 50mm GN has a short steel rod fitted to the aperture ring to enable quick changes, this looks to have been professionally done. There were a few old adaptors in the box with the lenses that go from the Exact mount on the Topcon to a screw mount.

I have also been advised by the person that was going to throw out these lenses that a friend of hers has some old German lenses, with a bit of luck I might be looking for some advice on those soon.

This could become quite addictive!

Thanks for all of the help.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, glad you like the results.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adonuff wrote:
I
This could become quite addictive!

Absolutely.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.8/50 isn't a Topcon lens, it's made by Cima Kogaku and not comparable in quality to the real Topcons.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The 1.8/50 isn't a Topcon lens, it's made by Cima Kogaku and not comparable in quality to the real Topcons.

You mix up two things:

1) The Tokyo Kogaku RE GN Topcor 1:1.8 f=50mm is, of course, a genuine Topcon ("Tokyo Kogaku") lens. It was the standard lens for the best-ever Topcon SLR, the motorized Topcon Super DM. We are talking about this lens here; this lens has Guide Number mechanism ("GN") and a zoom-like focusing mechanism without helicoid (see eg http://www.topgabacho.jp/Topconclub/FPslr3.htm for an image of the Super DM with 1.8/50 GN lens).

2) The later RE Topcor 1:1.7 f=55mm was designed and made by Cima Kogaku for Topcon. This has has an ordinary helical focusing (http://www.topgabacho.jp/Topconclub/FPslr5.htm)

Stephan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/201712/10478_20171202_DSC4 Reply with quote

A quick pic of the lens

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/201712/10478_20171202_DSC4579_2.jpg