Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcor Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Topcor Lenses Reply with quote

I've just recently developed an interest in Topcon/Topcor lenses and wonder why we don't see more about them in this forum. I'm particularly interested in the 50/1.4, 100/2.8, and 58/3.5 Macro. I know Attila has had experience with the 100mm, but would like to hear from others about any experience with any focal lengths. I read that the Topcon cameras were top notch and the lenses their equal.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R and RE Topcors are stunning, really the top of the line in Japanese lenses, I have directly compared the 1.8/58 to the Hexanon 1.7/50, the 3.5/135 to the Hexanon 3.2/135 and the 5.6/200 to the Hexanon 3.5/200, in all cases the Topcors are ever so slightly better, more saturation to the colours and more microcontrast, also a wee bit sharper, which is saying something as those three Hexanons are really great lenses.

The problem is the price, they cost the same as T* lenses, the 1.4/58, 25mm, those two I would love but they are $$$.

The 3.5/135 and 5.6/200 are fairly cheap though, the 1.8/58 not so bad but the others, all expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 35/2.8, 100/2.8, 135/3.5 and all are superb. They compare very favourably with my Zeiss and Nikon lenses

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Topcon RE Super with a 1.4/58 many years ago - very, very nice lens indeed. On film, it was slightly warm in tone, which I liked. The RE Super was a brick-shaped battleship of a camera (how's that for mixed metaphors?) with a really efficient TTL metering system. Another one I should have kept . . .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/topcon-unirex-and-topcor-f4-28mm-t24624,highlight,%2Btopcon.html

but I believe you mean more the RE series Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, Rolf. The UV series is reported to be an economy line and regarded as average, but I have no direct experience with any of them. Your pictures look very good to me, but I suspect that is more the photography than the lens. Lens appears to have a haze similar to one of my Meyers. Still, the haze somehow enhanced the photos with the gray skies.

I'm wondering about the 58/3.5 Macro. I don't remember seeing anyone here report on that lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
yes, Rolf. The UV series is reported to be an economy line and regarded as average, but I have no direct experience with any of them. Your pictures look very good to me, but I suspect that is more the photography than the lens. Lens appears to have a haze similar to one of my Meyers. Still, the haze somehow enhanced the photos with the gray skies.

I'm wondering about the 58/3.5 Macro. I don't remember seeing anyone here report on that lens.

I think most people who can afford pricely topcors only collectors , users rather buy Contax lenses for same amount of money.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
woodrim wrote:

I think most people who can afford pricely topcors only collectors , users rather buy Contax lenses for same amount of money.

+1, Topcors and the cameras are among the most colelctable of brands.

As for the 58mm macro, I'd skip it as there is the 100mm macro with matching variable extension tube, that one has a legendary reputation, but is rare as rocking horse droppings to see it for sale. The variable tubes are a little less rare but still command a high price.

If you want a 50-ish macro lens, get a 3.5/55 or 2.8/55 Micro-Nikkor, a lot cheaper and incredibly sharp.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The long focal length Macro is the 135mm f/4. Like the 58/3.5, it focuses from infinity on either the variable extension tube or the bellows. Much nicer working distance than the 58mm macro. But the 58/3.5 macro is a darned fine lens, even at infinity.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to get curious about their RF lenses, will have to do some research.
I have an RE 28/2.8 en route, looking forward to getting it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see more from the 28mm. They tend to sell at higher prices than the 35mm.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 35 will be my next RE I think, the shots from it looks great, and what I've seen from the thread on the 28 shows that it should be a good performer, I'll post pics and thoughts as soon as I have any.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I'd like to see more from the 28mm. They tend to sell at higher prices than the 35mm.
I think this is mainly due to rarity, the 28mm was released very late and most users already had the 25mm and 35mm, so few required a 28mm also. Topcon were not great product planners. Apparently very late in the day they also advertised a fast f1.9 28mm and 35mm with prices 'TBA' which either never saw the light or sold in tiny numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My RE 28 arrived today and I had a chance to take it for a spin, the pics are downloading as I type this, initial thoughts from looking at LCD & EVF are that it will be an excellent lens for cloudy days, hard high contrast light not so much, but that is the embedded jpg review, the proof will be in the raw.
I also brought my RE 58/1.4 & R 135/3.5 just in case and I do want more time with the 58(I was disappointed with the 1.4 after using the 1.8 ) to see if I can improve its results any from the last time I had it out, and I think I did get better results so I'm happy about that.
Pics shortly....

Last edited by Lightshow on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring them (the pictures) on!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some quick NEX-7 test shots near MFD on a mini tripod with 2 second timer(No sharpening applied in LR4.3)

Black RE 58/1.4 @1.4(focus is just a wee bit off)

Larger: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8101/8611504571_4c9bfebea7_k.jpg

@f4

Larger: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8529/8612604540_70b9931e15_k.jpg

Black RE 28/2.8 @2.8

larger: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8400/8612606240_0fe399fb76_k.jpg

@5.6

Larger: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8396/8611502619_54cad9e277_k.jpg

What surprises me is how little change in sharpness there is in the plane of focus between wide open and stopped down.(open them or the larger versions in new tabs and click back and fourth to see)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 58mm 3.5 macro converted at the weekend after some work. The Tiawanese adapters in this batch aren`t as accurate as the earlier ones, they are lighter, seem to be made of cheaper material and the holes are slightly off on some.

The 58mm has a permanent pin which needs ground/removed if you are going to covert it to M42 using these adapters. if you don`t want a permanent fix, get a NEX! It also meant I couldn`t retain the bearing and has a clickless aperture.

I took the plunge after deciding I like these lenses very much, I paid very little for the lens and want to use it on FF, ergonomically the NEX just doesn`t suit my hands. The rest of my Topcors are reversible.

A couple of early shots. I`m using this on Dyxums April foolishness so hope to get a few more before the end of the month, time and weather permitting. No pp in the second, I`ve been shooting with +1 ev on the a99 most of the time on MF lens. The first was shot in Camera Clear mode, no other pp. The first at around f9-11, the second between 3.5 and 5.6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca wrote:
I`ve been shooting with +1 ev on the a99 most of the time on MF lens.

Really? I do just the opposite.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't live in England, metering in our weak sunshine (when there is some sunshine) is a whole different kettle of fish.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Ians right, anything from + 0.7 to 1.3 on a regular basis. More so with the A99 than my old A35 though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The macro shots look nice so far, how is it with a busy background?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not got round to testing that yet, will post some when I do.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shot with my Topcor R 135/3.5 @3.5

Large:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8542/8613733565_4fb1e880ec_k_d.jpg

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more test shots...
RE 58/1.4

RE 28/2.8

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

58/1.4 & NEX-7