Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcor 58 3.5 Macro Overview
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Topcor 58 3.5 Macro Overview Reply with quote

I did some research on this and found some old documents from Topcon on the 58 3.5 macro. I have decided to make a thread about it and hopefully someone finds this information useful. I don't think this information is published elsewhere on this forum.

There are two versions of this lens. The optics are identical. One is like any other RE Auto-Topcor lens and comes with a focusing helicoid and a hyperfocal scale. The other is just the optics and is intended to be used with the variable extension tube or bellows.

The variable extension tube is basically a focusing helicoid.

The variable extension tube has no hyperfocal markings. However, it has a unique advantage if you plan to adapt the lens. It has no aperture pin. That means you can use a Fotasy Copper Auto Topcon to Canon adapter to mount to a Canon DSLR or use the same adapter to mount to a focal reducer like the lens turbo II if you plan to use on APS-C. The aperture pin on other Re Auto-Topcor lenses makes this impossible without shearing off the pin and altering the original lens.

Both lenses in this configuration are capable of 1:2. For 1:1 you can get a RE Auto Ring which brings back the aperture pin. The RE Auto ring is 29mm. There is a 30mm extension tube without the aperture pin. I am not sure if you can use that instead of the RE Auto ring to get 1:1.

Now for some boring sample pictures taken with the lens.

I tested Topcon's claim that his lens matches the standard lens ( 58 f/1.8 ) performance at infinity and indeed it's true.

The pictures above were shot at f/11 and even stopped down further and the lens still remains very sharp. The only disadvantage seems to be that it's slow at f/3.5.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the references. Yes the 58mm 3.5 macro is a fantastic lens. I lucked into a relatively inexpensive one in a lot of Topcon stuff that was poorly delineated. Just remarkably sharp. If you watch closely there are still bargains to be had out there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: There is also a black version of the RE Macro 58/3.5, and a black version of the variable extension tube.
My RE 58/3.5 Macro, it came with a different rubber grip, I disassembled it to do a CLA. Awesome lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to pay for the Topcor, then as far as I can tell the Nikon Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 lens is the same optical formula. However, you shouldn't believe me because I have never compared the two lenses against each other.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
If you don't want to pay for the Topcor, then as far as I can tell the Nikon Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 lens is the same optical formula. However, you shouldn't believe me because I have never compared the two lenses against each other.

Thanks for the photos and info. I don't own any Topcor gear, but I have a Nikon 55mm f/3.5 macro lens and an instruction manual.
For comparison below, I've quoted cbass' Topcor 58 diagram and then included the specs and diagram for the Nikon 55 macro.

cbass wrote:

Micro Nikkor P Auto 55mm f/3.5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Note: There is also a black version of the RE Macro 58/3.5, and a black version of the variable extension tube.
My RE 58/3.5 Macro, it came with a different rubber grip, I disassembled it to do a CLA. Awesome lens.

Yep, this is what I have as a set... Wink

Awesome lens indeed!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not forget the case for the short-mount lens:

The rear lens cap is very hard to find:

Here's the rear lens cap on the lens:

I was lucky in that when I bought the case, it had the rear lens cap in it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting that the formula is very similar to the famous Micro-Nikkor. But the cemented group in the Topcor has a curved surface between the two elements, where the Nikkor has a flat surface, which is cheaper to manufacture.

My understanding is that this is the "Xenotar" derivative of the double-Gauss lens design.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions regarding flatness of the doublet's common surface, the surface is vary nearly flat so the diagram could have lost it's curvature in the graphics department, you would have to look at the actual formula or the actual dublet to know for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently read somewhere online that putting a planar surface inside a cemented doublet is an economy measure. Increases yield.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the job done today. Cropped and processed. Using 1:1 extension tube.
The spider in the picture is tiny. I have bigger moles.

Is that rear cap valuable?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
This macro lens was advertised at optimum for 1:10 and same for the Nikkor. That's roughly the size of a shoe.

From 1:1 to 3.6:1 the Topcor chart states to use a reverse-adapter ring with bellows.

Has anyone observed the performance of this lens when reverse mounted?

I have bellows so can test it at greater than 1:1. It may be optimized for 1:10. However, it performs outside of that range including infinity. I have tested at infinity against the 58mm f/1.8.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:

Is that rear cap valuable?

It's quite rare, probably because it's not marked "Topcon" and gets lost or misplaced and tossed because of that.
The odds of finding one by it's self will be very low.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few Topcon Variable Extention Tubes are up on ebay right now...
$$$ https://www.ebay.com/itm/Topcon-Variable-Extension-Tube-8/263294220407
$$ https://www.ebay.com/itm/Topcon-Rare-CHROME-Variable-Extention-Tube-w-Case-in-Excellent-Condition/273154170688
$ https://www.ebay.com/itm/Topcon-Variable-Extension-Tube-16242/324094188466

And the box & case for the Variable Extension Tube
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Topcon-Variable-Extension-Tube-Original-Box-With-Case-Case-and-Box-Only/223287573845

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the rear cap. If it was valuable I was going to sell it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
I have the rear cap. If it was valuable I was going to sell it.

It's only expensive if you don't have one and need one, and it's worthless if you have one and want $.