Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcor 100mm f2.8 Navy version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Topcor 100mm f2.8 Navy version Reply with quote

Today I bought this lens, what should I expect ?!

Any experience ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two possibilities, Attila. One, it has been used and abused to near death in government service. Two, it is among the loveliest 100mm lenses ever produced.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Many thanks!! I select two Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good fame. I think that you can expect the better.

Show the pics (as with the ennalyt 85). Wink

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 10cm f2,8 Topcor, which I believe predates the so-called Navy version. I love this lens - it is sharp, contrasty, lovely colours, one that can produce the 3D effect we all strive for and drool over. Do show us the results Attila

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navy version differs only by having a stud screwed to the side of the focusing collar, so you could focus it with heavy gloves on. Well, also the red N engraved on the front ring.

They took a beating, the lenses and cameras were mostly used in P-3 Orion sub chaser planes, and got dropped on the floor a lot. On the other hand, they had servicemen trained in repairing them as well.

Optcially, the 100/2.8 is just a stunner.

There were a lot of Navy 87-205 zooms made, these had an added infinity lock. That was usually the correct focusing distance when used from an airplane.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update John. I adapted mine to an M42 mount - so I have infinity on my Canon 40D. This lens is a treasure and obviously from the same family as the renowned 58/1.4, now manufactured by Cosina.

patrickh

Topcon prices seem to be verging on the lunatic fringe recently Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got mine, with the metal stud as well. I did the m42 conversion on mine too [thanks to Patrickh], as it would hang my 5D's mirror. Now Im looking for the 28mm!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! look like a great lens
show us some samples when you get it
Merry Christmas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also modded the 35/2.8 and it too is a very fine lens

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the "used and abused to near death in government service" copies might produce pictures with a lot more ehem ... 'character'!

Just kidding. It's the Xmas booze talking!

CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosina Topcor 58/1.4 is a double-gauss like the real thing, but it's not optically identical. It is a very reverent copy in terms of styling.