Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tomioka, Zeiss, Mamiya and 55/1.4 design.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto Revuenon 55mm f1.2

PS Woops - I have been posting images of the 55mm f1.2 instead of the 55mm f1.4.
Will find some later and post for the f1.4 lens
Apologies
Tom

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here we go.
Auto Revuenon 55mm f1.4

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. I forgot how anal some people are in this forum about strict adherence to SOOC. My intention was to add my observations about the differences between different ~50mm f1.2 Japanese lenses. Henceforth I will post images in the gallery section, because, personally, I could care less about raw images; my interest is in what can be done with lenses. In parting, though, I have to correct the notion that with processing any lens can be made to look like any other. This is totally untrue, and has been proven time and time again in my own experience with lenses. I have over 120 of them, and all are chosen for their unique bokeh characteristics. For instance, I had the f1.2 Yashinon DX in M42 mount and sold it because I did not particularly like the bokeh, which is much too smooth for my taste. I have a Nikkor 55mm f1.2, which also has a totally different rendering than the Cosina PK. It is totally untrue that any lens can be made to look like any other via processing. If that were true Dallmeyer Super Sixes would not cost in the thousands of dollars, and anyone could pick up a Porst f1.2 and make it look like a Tominon. And for anyone who thinks my images are heavily processed: you have no idea what heavy processing is...

Last edited by kymarto on Tue May 24, 2022 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
I know you and your rigid insistence that no image be processed AT ALL in this forum. If you consider that "heavy processing" then you have no idea what heavy processing is. I did not lie: fir me this is minimal processing. What is true is that the Cosina has rather unique bokeh among f1..2 lenses. I had the M42 Auto Yashinon and got rid of it because the bokeh was too smooth for me. The Nikkor 55mm f1.2 does not yield the same kind of results, nor other 1.2s I have tried, apart from the Canon LTM 50mm f1.2, which is my favorite f1.2. The CRT Nikkor-O is another very interesting f1.2 that yields absolutely unique results.

I choose my lenses (I have about 120) specifically for their unique bokeh characteristics, which I like to bring out with minimal (by my definition) processing. If that bothers you, that is your business.

I see you have a problem with honesty. If those overly processed images are 'minimal processing' I'd hate to see what you condier heavy processing.

It's one thing to present havily processed images, quite another to try to claim that they represent the characteristics of a lens - they don't, they represent the characteristics of the alorithms used to process them.

Anyways, until you admit that you heavily processed those images, you are a liar, pure and simple.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
kymarto wrote:
I know you and your rigid insistence that no image be processed AT ALL in this forum. If you consider that "heavy processing" then you have no idea what heavy processing is. I did not lie: fir me this is minimal processing. What is true is that the Cosina has rather unique bokeh among f1..2 lenses. I had the M42 Auto Yashinon and got rid of it because the bokeh was too smooth for me. The Nikkor 55mm f1.2 does not yield the same kind of results, nor other 1.2s I have tried, apart from the Canon LTM 50mm f1.2, which is my favorite f1.2. The CRT Nikkor-O is another very interesting f1.2 that yields absolutely unique results.

I choose my lenses (I have about 120) specifically for their unique bokeh characteristics, which I like to bring out with minimal (by my definition) processing. If that bothers you, that is your business.

I see you have a problem with honesty. If those overly processed images are 'minimal processing' I'd hate to see what you condier heavy processing.

It's one thing to present havily processed images, quite another to try to claim that they represent the characteristics of a lens - they don't, they represent the characteristics of the alorithms used to process them.

Anyways, until you admit that you heavily processed those images, you are a liar, pure and simple.

I'm well aware of your rigidity in this regard, I had simply forgotten about it. I won't scare you with truly heavily processed images. I did not lie. I do consider this to be minimal processing. Just a note for you here. I am mainly a videographer, and in fact, my last two documentaries on the Arctic won the Gold Alpine award for best camerawork at the Mountainfilm Festival in 2020, and this year took silver for best documentary in New York, respectively. All the video was shot in log, and many hours were spent in specialized labs grading the footage and processing it. Nobody in the profession that I know does not process their images to get the very most out of the inherent possibilities, according to their vision or commercial interests. And it is absurd to say that any lens could be processed to look like any other. Grading brings out what is inherent in the lens. I will very happily leave you to your little forum here, allowing only boring SOOC images.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMSL, you presented a load of images that had been very heavily processed, then refuse to admit that they have been processed.

You have a very obvious honesty problem.

and your photos are not very good, amateurish over use of software that is all too blatant and makes your images ugly and synthetic.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
PMSL, you presented a load of images that had been very heavily processed, then refuse to admit that they have been processed.

You have a very obvious honesty problem.

and your photos are not very good, amateurish over use of software that is all too blatant and makes your images ugly and synthetic.

I've had a number of exhibitions in Japan and Europe that were very well received, so clearly not everyone shares your opinion.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
A note of 55mm f1.2 lenses. There are at least three that I know of. There is the famous M42 Tomioka, sold under the names (at least) Tominon, Yashinon, Cosinon. Then there is the Porst, also sold under several names. Then there is another Cosina lens, sold as Revuenon MC or Cosina MC, that was made in PK mount. The supposition was that this is also a Tomioka design. It can be identified by having a 58mm front filter ring, instead of the 55mm thread of the Porst. For me personally, this last one is the best of the lot. Here are some shots with that one

Like 1

kymarto,

I really like your photos, they are exceptional.
Move on, don't pay attention to jealous and dishonest losers.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMSL... Condoning blatant dishonesty says a lot about Gerald's character....

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosina made Porst color-reflex 55/1.4

Left out in the cold by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a wonderful candid canine portrait. Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some glorious pics in this thread, and of course very interesting reading too. Can't wait for the next episode.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I've found a good SX 55mm 1.4 mamiya for good price

SX Version is the same lens as Rolleinar/Color-Ultron 55/1.4, but, as reported somewhere on this forum, coating is not same. One of the best ~50 mm lenses of the film era ever made.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Chinon (also Revuenon) 50mm 1.4 Might be a development of the Tomioka 55/1.4 By Cosina. It is a much smaller lens but also has the distinctively flat rear element. It is just a bit larger than the Super-Takumar 50/1.4. Soon I'll have a Yashinon DX 50/1.4 to compare to, which is definitely different, a 7/6 not a 7/5.