Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokyo Kogaku RE Auto Topcor 85mm F1.8 on NEX 5N
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Tokyo Kogaku RE Auto Topcor 85mm F1.8 on NEX 5N Reply with quote

Photo of the lens:

Introduced 1973 with the Topcon Super DM, this lens is one of the last two lenses in the RE series made by Tokyo Kogaku (another lens is the RE GN Topcor M 50mm F1.4). Like the 58mm F1.4, this lens use 62mm filter. It contains six elements in five groups with MFD about 0.9 meter.

For performance, I can say it has good resolution from wide open. Here is a test shot taken with wide open:

This is a 100% crop of the left border converted from RAW to JPEG without any sharpen.

The contrast on wide open is pretty good. Stop down to F2.8 improves the both resolution and contrast. I cannot find much difference in resolution and contrast when further stopping down the lens. Flare resistant is pretty good for a single-coated lens, as shown on the following photo.

Here are more photos taken with this lens. Most photo are taken with F1.8 to F2.8 except the first one taken with F3.5 or F4. All my photos posted in this section are processed with the same way with minimal amount of processing.

For best experience, click the photo for full size.

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by calvin83 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:31 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #4, great sharpness and lovely model!

The performance of this lens is very similar to the FD 85/1.8 Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:

Thanks. Cats are great models. They can tell you how sharp your lens is.

I am not sure if this lens perform similarity to the FD 85/1.8. If the FD 1.8/85 is as good as this lens, we can say that this Topcor is highly overrated.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice samples Calvin,

calvin83 wrote:
..If the FD 1.8/85 is as good as this lens, we can say that this Topcor is highly overrated.

nevertheless I am not overly impressed by the performance shown and would concur with your assessment

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
nice samples Calvin,

calvin83 wrote:
..If the FD 1.8/85 is as good as this lens, we can say that this Topcor is highly overrated.

nevertheless I am not overly impressed by the performance shown and would concur with your assessment

Thanks, Andres. I think you know me well. Wink

Here is one more wide open shot.

and the 100% crop with default LR sharpen and low screen sharpen in LR.

Ah, pretty bad for a 1.8/85 at F1.8. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

haha!
well, this looks sharp enough, but still, if sharpening was applied, not specially so. but I admit I do not have all that much experience with 1.8/85mm lenses, sure you have much more experience Calvin, so I might be mistaken. strong CA also seen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:

My FD SSC 85/1.8 is not in the same league as my Topcor 85/1.8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

haha!
well, this looks sharp enough, but still, if sharpening was applied, not specially so. but I admit I do not have all that much experience with 1.8/85mm lenses, sure you have much more experience Calvin, so I might be mistaken. strong CA also seen

The amount of sharpen applied is quiet small. CA is there but it is not serious.

Not many old fast 85/90 1.7-2 can keep both resolution and contrast at wide open. Most lenses at the same time keep decent resolution but sacrifice the contrast. The Leica Summicron-R 90mm F2 keeps good contrast at wide open but the resolution is not as good at this Topcor.

Here is 100% crop without any sharpen(sharpening amount set to 0 in Lightroom) converted from RAW to JPEG.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said that because the FD is used to be in my wishlist. I saw many great examples of this lens shooting at wide open, like the ones you can find in this blog

http://per-analogia.blogspot.kr/2014/05/a7-canon-fdn-85mm-f18.html

It's hard to say which one is better if there is no direct comparison, but it appears to me that Topcor is a bit sharper wide open and maybe less CA, but I'm still not so sure. Maybe the issue of copy variation is also counted.

This image was taken at f/1.8 and it doesn't look like to be sharpen (click for more resolution)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here first shots using mine....

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1428086.html#1428086