Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokyo Kogaku RE Auto Topcor 85mm F1.8 close-ups on A7RII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Tokyo Kogaku RE Auto Topcor 85mm F1.8 close-ups on A7RII Reply with quote

Although this lens is not designed for close-ups(MFD ~0.9m), it works pretty well stopped down thanks to its good sharpness.

Except for the first two photos, the rest are taken with Topcor extention tube No.2.

Click to see larger size:

P.S. Link to old thread on NEX-5N
http://forum.mflenses.com/tokyo-kogaku-re-auto-topcor-85mm-f1-8-on-nex-5n-t68940.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is a good lens for street photo too, as it is very sharp consider its age.

Look Right by Calvin Lee, 於 Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1
Nice lens and nice photos.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

Great lens indeed!

Used it closeup too with VERY good results: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157651084397351

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you!

I wish we will see more photo from this lens. There are more than 1000 copies made but only a few post their photos to the web.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very nice samples, if you don`t mind I can add a few of my own.

It had a stiffness in the focus and some fungus which unfortunately spread quite quickly after I got it depsite careful storage so I had a pro CLA which saved it, with just a tiny bit of residual coating mark left in the front lens.

Shot mainly at f1.8 or stopped down one

As you can see from the doggy shot it`s almost CA less and overall sharp from wide open

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked the images from that 85mm. The 100mm is also very good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog Friends Like 1

Thanks Macca. Excellent photos!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Happy Dog Friends Like 1

Thanks Macca. Excellent photos!

Cannot agree more!! Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results, seems to be a great lens!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind comments. Woodrim is right the 100mm 2.8 isn`t far behind IQ wise, you lose a stop and the images from the 100mm seem slightly flatter to my eye but I`ve not made any kind of scientific comparison.

I still haven`t used the 85mm enough and I guess because of the rarity I`m less likely to just throw it the bag or have it hang around the boot of the car like some others. It is of course a portrait lens first and foremost and I`m not very experienced at any type of staged portraiture as yet.

It is sharp enough to ask questions of the subject and my lighting isn`t the best here but you get the idea. My daughter has a chickenpox scar on her nose, extremely faint and almost invisible to the naked eye but I managed to bring it out with this lens and my lighting! , the other is her friend.
Minolta 5600HSD in a softbox camera left and gold reflector camera right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is good at revealing blemishs.... Don't use it on certain people without reducing the sharpness in-camera or post. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great images. Like Dog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca wrote:
Some very nice samples, if you don`t mind I can add a few of my own.

It had a stiffness in the focus and some fungus which unfortunately spread quite quickly after I got it depsite careful storage so I had a pro CLA which saved it, with just a tiny bit of residual coating mark left in the front lens.

Shot mainly at f1.8 or stopped down one

As you can see from the doggy shot it`s almost CA less and overall sharp from wide open

Very nice images indeed! Best, jt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The young lady by the fence photo is extraordinary IMHO. The 85 is one of the Topcon lenses I do not have but lust after. Also I am missing the 25 and the 20. I tried the 28 a few weeks back and was quite surprised at how good it really is ( I had read that it was the weak link in the Topcon lineup, I disagree, I feel it is every bit as good as the 35mm 2.8 or the 100mm 2.Cool

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
The young lady by the fence photo is extraordinary IMHO. The 85 is one of the Topcon lenses I do not have but lust after. Also I am missing the 25 and the 20. I tried the 28 a few weeks back and was quite surprised at how good it really is ( I had read that it was the weak link in the Topcon lineup, I disagree, I feel it is every bit as good as the 35mm 2.8 or the 100mm 2.Cool

Thank you.

I`ve had the 20mm and still have the 25mm, both also top lenses. I only let the 20mm go as I picked up the 21mm 2.8 distagon in zf2 mount which I`ve leitaxed and can use on both systems I shoot. The distagon is sharper across the frame as it should be, but I do miss Topcon colours.

The 25mm, I`ve had 2 copies with sample variation evident, unfortunately my second sample isn`t as good as the first and may have been decentred as there was a loose shim in it, have tried to fix it, but stil not 100% happy with it. It does lovely seascapes, mainly due to Topcons rendering of blues and reflective suraces, chrome,water etc.

The 85mm is very much a keeper, it`s second to none and I have the Minolta 100mm f2 and recently picked up a Batis 85mm 1.8 in AF now and still think it compares well with these more modern offerings ( I needed AF for dance/theatre my daughter is involved in)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote