Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokyo Kogaku RE, Auto-Topcor 100/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I had the $$$$
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RE-Auto-Topcor-1-8-85mm-f-Exakta-Topcon-/251135425196?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item3a78d67aac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can be found for far less Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since purchasing my Topcor 100mm, I was not able to use it fully. The lens had obviously been opened and put back together with a very short infinity stop. THEN I opened it to fix that... and it became unusable. I just got it back from Marc Jensen after a CLA and am now able to fully enjoy it. Sure is a sharp lens right from f/2.8.

(manipulated)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the excellent sample pictures, Look great!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed this post first time around,what a stunning lens and you did amazingly well with those seagulls in the first set.

Interesting "bubbles" in the last one (I like bubble bokeh or OOF),I wonder if you had something manmade with the same background what would it look like?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I missed this post first time around,what a stunning lens and you did amazingly well with those seagulls in the first set.

Interesting "bubbles" in the last one (I like bubble bokeh or OOF),I wonder if you had something manmade with the same background what would it look like?

Thanks. The only man made things there were gravestones. This was in a very old (by US standards) graveyard in downtown Charleston. It's an amazingly beautiful place if you can get past the stigma of it being a graveyard. I was working the bokeh for best effects with some successes and some failures. Getting the right distances before and after can be challenging, and of course I had to be respectful of where I was standing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your restraints regarding the surrounding area.

I just twigged to something you said,for bubble bokeh you need the lens to be wide open that's a given. I have never thought about taking into account the distance between you and subject then distance to background ( is that what you were meaning? )...I knew purely about the subject and background that creates the bubble highlights...but never thought about the distances .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Miora, distances are critical. Since this is my thread from the beginning, I'll allow myself to do a very brief diversion. Here are two images, also from the weekend and also in the graveyard. I moved closer to the leaves in one shot to increase the size of the bokeh rings. Differences will also occur if the background highlights are closer or farther away. Sometimes it doesn't work at all; all part of the challenge.

These images from a different lens - Meyer Optik Görlitz Primotar 80mm f/3.5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distance to subject is essentially focus throw. The closer you focus, the bigger the background blur and circles, the farther - eventually they become in focus.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering my question,back on topic now (my apologies)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good woodrim, glad it's working right for you now.
My 85/1.8 is off to be cleaned and lubed, can't wait to get it back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sending it to Marc? Hmmmm, maybe he'll mistakenly ship it to me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to Marc, not so much to sending it to you, unless you have a M 50 Lux to trade... Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love those Topcors. Are there adapters for Canon EF?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenched: I really don't know Canon, but if I had to guess, I'd say no adapters.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found this Exakta to Canon EOS adapter :
Click here to see on Ebay

Note - i have no experience with Canon....

another note: some say Exakta/Topcon will fit Exakta but Exakta will not fit Exakta/Topcon
again... i can't verify and/or have any proof of that....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Woodrim,

Nice shots! I have this lens and haven't really ever put it through its paces - now I guess I have to!

You are correct that Topcon was used by military personnel. The US Navy purchased a number of them for use in the 60s, and probably the 70s as well. In the US Topcons were distributed for a while by the Charles Besler company (as in Besler enlargers, etc.), and were marked Besler Topcons. They were always quite high priced. I believe it was the Topcon RE Super AKA the Super D that was the first SLR with an internal (built into the mirror) light meter. The last, best model was the Super DM that had a motor drive assembly. Very high class cameras - but they were crippled with the narrow throated Exacta lens mount which severly limited lens design.

The internal diaphragm in the RE Auto Topcors, like your 100 /f 2.8, have linkages which stick out the back and will very often interfere with Exacta -> Canon EOS adapters. I had to very carefully shave off the tiniest bit of the aperture linkage on the back of the lens to get it to work for me. Also you need to get the correct kind of adapter that has clearance channels for all the Topcon linkages. I'll post photos tomorrow of the type I use.

All the best,

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the photos I promised.

The first is of the EXActa/Topcon -> EOS adapter I use. Note how it has a cutout at 10 o'clock to 1 o'clock near the outer edge. It also has an annular grove closer to the center. Both of these features should be present in the adapter for it to work with Topcon lenses.

The second photo shows the back end of an RE, Auto Topcor lens, in this case, the 35mm f/2.8. In order to allow the aperture to work freely when mounted on the Exacta adapter, I had to remove a tiny bit of metal from the top of pin 1 in the photo.

Works fine now when mounted to the Canon.

I apologize if I have hijacked the post - Your photos are really amazing!

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim, looks like a great lens and you used to great effect! Very nice work. Never sell it- except to me!
Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
I've found this Exakta to Canon EOS adapter :
Click here to see on Ebay

Note - i have no experience with Canon....

another note: some say Exakta/Topcon will fit Exakta but Exakta will not fit Exakta/Topcon
again... i can't verify and/or have any proof of that....

Thank you to all for the comments. I found Mir's comment interesting and I do remember reading this once before, but do not remember any details. I have an Exakta/Topcon adapter for NEX, but it doesn't catch the pins that lock it in place. The Topcor lenses come up just short, but I have another lens with Exakta mount that stops nearly 2mm short of the catch. Anyone else have this issue? Maybe just a bad adapter?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, very good sharpness and color rendition.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More from this wonderful lens...

And this one is a merge of 18 images. Lots of effort without much more than just good resolution...

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you two are getting along well. Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics from a great lens & photographer.

To I have several Exakta to EOS adapters. Some work with Topcon RE's and some don't - it depends if they have the appropriate cut-outs for the auto aperture/meter linkages on the Topcons. Also NONE of these adapters clear the mirror on a 5D Mark II. If you have a crop body Canon - no problem.

I purchased one these Topcon to M42 coverter kits: Click here to see on Ebay , but even with the rear light shade removed, it still interferes with the mirror travel on the 5D MII.

By the way, I just got my copy of the 100 f/2.8 back from Marc (had a sluggish and oily diaphragm as well as a gummed up helical). He does superb work!

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing shots!