Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina Tele-Auto 135mm 2.8 OM
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:26 am    Post subject: Tokina Tele-Auto 135mm 2.8 OM Reply with quote

I scored a Tokina 135 for around $10. I don't got an OM-mount adapter yet and while searching this lens seems to have mixed reviews.
What i couldn't find though was anything about there being a version in OM-mount like the version i got.

Is it a lemon or is it worth getting an adapter for? (for use with Sony A7r II and Sony NEX)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the price it was worth the gamble,the adapter should not be much more expensive...plus you have it ready and waiting when you buy some more OM lenses. Very Happy I did not have this particular version but the older one, and it was ok,small and produced images that to me were acceptable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
For the price it was worth the gamble,the adapter should not be much more expensive...plus you have it ready and waiting when you buy some more OM lenses. Very Happy I did not have this particular version but the older one, and it was ok,small and produced images that to me were acceptable.

Ok -- thanks for the reply. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given it's a 135mm and a Tokina, the odds of it being a lemon is very low. As long as the glass is clear and coatings aren't hazed over, you should be good.
I've come across numerous vintage Tokina zooms and telephotos that seem to exhibit a coating degradation problem. Seems to be a formula or from-the-factory issue. As some of the elements are not exposed to anything, being sealed within a group housing.
So, inspect!

I have a Rikenon 135mm f2.8 by Tokina, which is a Sonnar derivative formula. But it suffered from coating degradation on the 2nd element. I corrected it the best I could, but the wide open performance was reduced. Stopped down it was still very good. If you wish to see samples, go to my flickr and open the Auto Rikenon 135 album.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Given it's a 135mm and a Tokina, the odds of it being a lemon is very low. As long as the glass is clear and coatings aren't hazed over, you should be good.
I've come across numerous vintage Tokina zooms and telephotos that seem to exhibit a coating degradation problem. Seems to be a formula or from-the-factory issue. As some of the elements are not exposed to anything, being sealed within a group housing.
So, inspect!

I have a Rikenon 135mm f2.8 by Tokina, which is a Sonnar derivative formula. But it suffered from coating degradation on the 2nd element. I corrected it the best I could, but the wide open performance was reduced. Stopped down it was still very good. If you wish to see samples, go to my flickr and open the Auto Rikenon 135 album.

The glass is very clear and the optics doesn't suffer from any sort of haze at all. If there wasn't some marks on the barrel i would almost say that it is in mint condition.
Haven't gotten the OM-adapter yet so i have yet to test and compare it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the optics are clean and clear, you'll be fine and I bet the lens will be very good.
Very rare that a 135mm is bad, especially a Tokina.