Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina SZ-X 200
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Tokina SZ-X 200 Reply with quote

Tokina SZ-X 200, 4.5-5.6/80-200, "macro" 1:4.3 at 200mm, focuses down to 1.1m, size and weight of your average 2.8/135, even cheaper at 5 to 24€ and much more versatile. Center is good from f5.6, very good at f8, worst corner needs f16 in pixel peeper mode. Very visible CA open, but almost gone at f11. As with almost any zoom 200mm is the softest, but still very usable if stopped down a bit.

I've had one in the 80s, in OM mount with a 4ti, it was my most used lens then, so I know it's weak points. Back then the worst was to get sufficient shutter speed for butterflies at 200mm, no problem any longer with high ISO and Steady Shot. Never hat to complain about lack of sharpness then, 30x45 cm prints were sharp, slides tack sharp where it was important.

A very portable walkabout lens, and more useful for it's bulk than a 135mm. That Revuenon is for comparison only, both lenses weigh ~400g.

Finding a good one took me 3 tries, no. 1 fogged up near the rear, no. 2 on back of the second group, last one is clean if a little bit decentered.

When I find the time I'll post some of my sharpness testshots. Today I'm out shooting my new baby.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back from my walk, first real life pictures, all jpeg strait out of the camera, DRO on, only resized.

wide open f4.5@80mm

same picture f11

f11@80mm

f11@~135mm

f11@~135mm

~f11@200mm with lenshood on

same picture, no hood

and the lens with hood on

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly is pretty compact for a lens that zooms to 200mm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the other version the SZ-X 845, 49mm filter. These have acquired a few complimentary reviews on pentax forums, but IMO it's just another pretty decent offering in this range, I wasn't particularly impressed. There was a competitive market for the 70-210/80-200 zooms I think, and making them I suggest became pretty well understood and pretty consistent quality.