Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina "SD" 70-210 - Pretty cool!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Tokina "SD" 70-210 - Pretty cool! Reply with quote

So I just got one of these in the mail, and besides a very creeping barrel that free falls up and down with no dampening it takes some pretty nice pics!
That's at the max focal length, wide open (F5 SOMETHING) straight jpeg, 2000 shutter speed.

What is your experience with that lense? It's literally less than half the Pentax SMC M zoom size and super easy to service internally.

Do you think that a piece of electrical tape on the barrel should dampen the push pull a little?
Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this lens very long ago, and I quite liked it. Incredibly compact and lightweight; optically also good, although I used it on a very old camera/ sensor.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed something long range for a trip and the only lens that would fit my Olympus OM-10 was that lens.

It was good enough to warrant more use.

Don't remember the focal length here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice images!
80-200 is where the magic sits for me nowadays... But maybe it's just a phase.

Every single time I put on a kit 18-50 I feel like I get that cellphone wide look.. That 80-200 really brings out the best in people, and to me, is the reason to haul a camera in addition to the iphone.

Do you guys ever get that feeling?

I have taken some sick indoor shots with a 35, don't get me wrong... But I get the most compliments at 135+ and a tight comp, when it comes to photographing humans.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a SZ X 80 200 or 210 I don't remember f4,5 5,6. They are supposed to be close quality wise to your zoom and compactness and haptics are amazing. Image quality is stellar BUT after two copies I renounced buying a sample that does not suffer from decentering. The field shifts with a focal plane tilting following the action of the zoom. I am quite certain that it might be as easy as tightening a screw somewhere but I am not skilled enough to dismantle a zoom and locate the problem. If the focal plane was not tilted it would be a top notch lens.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A photo of the lens would help.

I find compact m/f zooms to be quite usable up to a certain point.
Beyond 40-50 ft (10-12m) focus becomes very touchy, and difficult to hold, due to the very short focus throw.

-D.S.