Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina RMC EMZ 28-80 f/3.8-4.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Tokina RMC EMZ 28-80 f/3.8-4.8 Reply with quote

I have had this lens since when I got into Pentax PK-mount in the first place, when I bought a whole Pentax LX kit secondhand almost 30 years ago. I didn't particularly value it in those days - though it was quite handy, and I would use it by preference for social pictures. Every dog must have its day, so I thought to give it a good try on my new (used) Pentax K3.

PJCT2532 by luisalegria, on Flickr

It turns out, on researching it, that this isn't a particularly common lens. I think Tokina replaced it fairly quickly. I think it dates from 1983-85 or so, though I haven't found any ads for it, which is unusual. Far more common was the 28-85 ATX. It must be one of the first third-party lenses supplied for the PK/A mount.

In any case, it is the typical two-touch, large and heavy short wide-tele zoom of the period, rather large even for its time. It is a durable, quality job, as usual with Tokinas of the period, solidly built and it functions as smoothly as anything. In a later and less honest time this thing would have been marked "Macro", as it does focus very close indeed, and it does have a focus range marked "M".

It is of course a do-everything lens, but I like using this as a straight 80mm, and in that role it serves superbly. I don't need an f/1.4-f/2 80mm for nearly any practical purpose. At 80mm f/4.8 this thing is very sharp even on the K3 24mp APS-C sensor. It does not flare to any significant degree, and contrast is very good. All in all, an almost boringly reliable piece of equipment, typical I think of many overlooked standard lenses of the 1970's-80's.

Various focal lengths and apertures.

PJCT1963x by luisalegria, on Flickr

PJCT2084bw by luisalegria, on Flickr

PJCT1781x by luisalegria, on Flickr

PJCT1844 by luisalegria, on Flickr

PJCT1799x by luisalegria, on Flickr

PJCT1746 by luisalegria, on Flickr

PJCT1668 by luisalegria, on Flickr

PJCT1686x by luisalegria, on Flickr

PJCT1721x by luisalegria, on Flickr

The bird -

PJCT1947bird by luisalegria, on Flickr

Crop -

PJCT1947crop by luisalegria, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good as usual Luis. That looks like a good one.

Definitely not common - nada on google discounting a couple of old auctions - I've seen a couple of "EMZ" tokinas crop up on ebay. They seem to be a bit later than the tokina range described in my tokina brochure from 1984. And dyxum.com has reviews for an autofocus version which tend to corroborate that. I wonder where "EMZ" comes in the tokina scheme of things which I have understood as ATX = pro; SZX = ?prosumer....

This lens certainly looks pretty distinct from the ATX 28-85mm f3.5-4.5 in my brochure.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1
Nice photos! Seems like a nice lens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracker of a lens Luis.
Beautiful results
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results, I think I'd flip the first flag image.