Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina RMC 24mm f/2.8 (from the 80's?)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Tokina RMC 24mm f/2.8 (from the 80's?) Reply with quote

I bought the lens used from photography store for 50 €. So far it seems to have been an excellent impulse buy! Very Happy The colors seem very nice and sharpness is good too. Manual focusing isn't the easiest job with Oly's smallish viewfinder, but the distance scale on the Tokina helps a bit.

It has Oly OM mount, I use it on E-400 with OM/fourthirds adapter; the pictures are shot RAW, converted with Master 2, pic mode at "natural", noise reduction switched off, resample to 640x480 + minor sharpening.

And these are 100% crops from the middle of the frame, straight from the camera jpg.

Tokina @ f/5.6

Tokina @ f/2.8 (wide open)

And finally, compare above to the Oly kit Zuiko 14-42mm @ 24mm f/5.6

The Tokina 24mm has got a bit soft edges used wide open, but the Zuiko 14-42 isn't better, the softness is about the same. However, to my eyes at least, the Tokina is beginning to be sharper @ f/5,6 than the kit Zuiko Shocked .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice test shoots! Many thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quality seems very good.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good! Congratulations!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for your new lens!. The pictures are very good in sharpness and general quality!.
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElanR wrote:
Impressive! Is this the 58mm filter size model?

It's got 52mm threads. Do you happen to know something about this lens? Because before buying, I did a web search but couldn't find about anything, just pictures of the lens itself Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give me 11 6MP test shoots like these with this lens+1 from the lens itself ?I would like to put them into mflenses.com/gallery.Please let me know your copyright information what would you like to see on pictures and your website where to I link back from gallery. Many thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok! Might prolong to the weekend, but you'll get them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Let me know when you are ready to send and I will give you an ftp access to upload them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElanR wrote:
jaeae wrote:
ElanR wrote:
Impressive! Is this the 58mm filter size model?

It's got 52mm threads. Do you happen to know something about this lens? Because before buying, I did a web search but couldn't find about anything, just pictures of the lens itself Very Happy

Not much. I have the 28mm sister to it. That one is sharp and produces nice colors, but is not well coated, so you have to be careful not to allow the sun into it when shooting.

I have noticed the same thing, it's very sharp when the light is right. Are you using a hood with it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old manual lenses can improve up to 50% more if used with a lens hood, in some cases also 100% improvement (like Helios-40, trash lens without hood, champion lens with hood).
If you love your old manual lenses, give them a hood. They'll pay back.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I know which hood is right for each lens? Is it only about focal length if there is a way to attach them?

Is anybody using a hood with Jupiter-9?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:
How do I know which hood is right for each lens?

Well, first it has to have the same thread diameter than the filter thread, if you want to screw it in.
Then it's trial and error. I usually buy rubber generic hoods, they are less protective of front glass but I do never abuse my lenses. The advantage is that you can tailor-cut them to your needs. If you see that a hood vignettes, just cut it a bit.
For lenses with weird filter thread size the only chance is to build a hood, I did that for my Helios-40 (66mm filter thread diam.) and it works great, improves my pictures 100%

Quote:
Is it only about focal length if there is a way to attach them?

Of course the longer the focal lenght the longer the hood can be.

Quote:
Is anybody using a hood with Jupiter-9?

I really hope so, they're using the lens at half potential if they don't! Of course I'm speaking of old J-9, the most recent ones are multicoated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Orio!
I don't have a hood for my Jupiter-9 Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting a rubber hood for the Tokina as well Very Happy Took some pics in bright sunlight etc, much more flare than my kit digital Zuiko, also some "fogging", like the camera was full of light Very Happy Seems true that with hood the pics would improve significantly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tokina RMC 24mm f/2.8 (from the 80's?) Reply with quote

jaeae wrote:
Manual focusing isn't the easiest job with Oly's smallish viewfinder,

Go get an ME-1 Olympus x1.2 viewfinder... I have it on my 350D and it helps to focus a bit more.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split focusing screen can be help a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Split focusing screen can be help a lot.

I have one also Wink
But it seems to me that for portraits, a split screen is less effective than a sanded plain sanded one.

Split screens are great on a "true life" viewfinder as the 5D has, not on the little and dark cave that is fitted on any Canon XX0D ... so I get an ME-1 viewfinder magnifier, and I'm thinking of buying an expensive but better screen from focusingscreen.com ...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have most expensive split screen Katz-Eye split screen on E-1 , it usable till f8 but really good only around 2.8 or faster.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up a Tokina 24mm f2.8 at the bootsale and it doesn't have "RMC" but looks like in red "TL" instead...results on film are very good although I haven't tried it wide open or for close ups.

A bit over sharpend by the supermarket scan, OOD Superia 200

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL just means slightly earlier version.

24mm lenses aren't for wide open or close ups and pretty hard to assess anything properly from supermarket scans but the Tokina 24mm is a good lens, I've had three of them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good result. I have the Hoya HMC 2.8/24 made by Tokina which I think is the same lens as the Tokina RMC version.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is Ed, I'd have both Hoya HMC and Tokina RMC. In fact, all of the Hoyas apart from two or three of the zooms are Tokinas.