Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina (Bokina) AT-X 90mm 2.5 Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Tokina (Bokina) AT-X 90mm 2.5 Macro Reply with quote

I just bought a Tokina AT-X 90mm 2.5 (Nikon mount) in excellent shape, not with the original Tokina extender, but with the Nikon Auto Extension ring PK13 for 100 Eur. I have been waiting several months for such an opportunity. Is this extension ring similar to the original Tokina extender to obtain 1.1?
quidam Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legendary lens, congratulations!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Tokina (Bokina) AT-X 90mm 2.5 Macro Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
Is this extension ring similar to the original Tokina extender to obtain 1.1?

The original Tokina adapter has a matched optical formula for this lens.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tokina (Bokina) AT-X 90mm 2.5 Macro Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
Is this extension ring similar to the original Tokina extender to obtain 1.1?quidam Very Happy

No, the Tokina extender has three optical elements in it:

The minimum focus distance is 39cm without extender and 34cm with it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that dickb.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your responses. However, i'm pretty happy with the lens, even without the extender. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
Thanks guys for your responses. However, i'm pretty happy with the lens, even without the extender. Very Happy

I wasn't saying you shouldn't be. You asked whether the extension ring is similar to the extender. The answer is no in the respect that it uses a different method to get to the 1:1 magnification, with optics instead of plain extension. In theory, that could result in better corrections of optical flaws, a more flat field and so on. The answer could also be yes, in that both rings achieve a higher magnification. I just make a quick and dirty test of a Tokina AT-X 90/2.5 with either the extender or 31mm of extension (a little more than the 27.5mm of the PK13) and I could see hardly any difference.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo come ooon 100 euro Smile awesome price for this lens!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

I just bought one as well, like new. I need to use it but didn't have the time yet....
Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice too. Congrats!
Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Congrats!

I just bought one as well, like new. I need to use it but didn't have the time yet....
Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 by René Maly, on Flickr

You can always send it to me, I'll find some time.
Congrats.

I was looking for one for a while now, but I will put that on hold as I bought a Leica R 100 APO just a little while ago.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, if anyone experienced both, would you prefer Volna-9 or Tokina-Bokina? Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice stuff Rene.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
Guys, if anyone experienced both, would you prefer Volna-9 or Tokina-Bokina? Very Happy

Based on this thread http://forum.mflenses.com/volna-9-macro-50-2-8-bokeh-t16051.html
And what I've seen from the Bokina, I would go for the Bokina.
But it's kind of an apple vs oranges comparison, 50mm vs 90mm.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone actually done a comparison between a hollow tube and the matched converter?

I own this (awesome) lens too with the matched converter but I almost always use the bare lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a hard to find extender for my Tokina AT-X 90mm, f2.5 Macro , brand new and boxed at a good price. Thank you Mr. Cad. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Hope this topic is still alive Smile
I recently bought Tokina 90mm 2.5 in Contax mount, I was trying to get both lens & macro extender but I was not able to find it in reasonable price point (shipping + customs tax... whole story).

I wanted to ask, and forgive my complete ignorance in this matter... does the mount of the lens has to match the mount of the macro extender? Or to explain my question better. If I bought a Contax version, does the macro extender also has to be Contax mount? Or is main lens’s contax mount and macro extender‘s lens mount (not body mount) always compatible?
Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be the same (they both have to fit the same camera if used separately or together after all), but theoretically you could go for any mount extender with a shorter focal flange distance (see http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html) and put an adapter in between, for example a Canon FD extender would work with your lens with an adapter like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-Ring-Contax-CY-Lens-to-Canon-F-1-FD-Mount-Camera-Adapter-CY-FD-YC-FD-/111806692469 (probably cheaper ones can be found)

But than you would also need another adapter to put this FD extender on your body, witch will only work when you use a mirrorless camera, so after all, probably not worth it..

Great lens btw, I have the Vivitar S1 version (with matching extender) and it's still one of my favorites, but it feels a bit heavy on my A7, the Tokina is much lighter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with this exact lens but extenders (be they optical or just tubes) will have one mount like the camera and one mount like the lens and fit between the camera and the lens. My guess regarding this system with the optical extender is it provides better speed. tubes have a falloff in light and so lower F stop or shutter speed or higher ISO (or flash) is required to maintain proper exposure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koen Nhz wrote:
It has to be the same (they both have to fit the same camera if used separately or together after all), but theoretically you could go for any mount extender with a shorter focal flange distance (see http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html) and put an adapter in between, for example a Canon FD extender would work with your lens with an adapter like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-Ring-Contax-CY-Lens-to-Canon-F-1-FD-Mount-Camera-Adapter-CY-FD-YC-FD-/111806692469 (probably cheaper ones can be found)

But than you would also need another adapter to put this FD extender on your body, witch will only work when you use a mirrorless camera, so after all, probably not worth it..

Great lens btw, I have the Vivitar S1 version (with matching extender) and it's still one of my favorites, but it feels a bit heavy on my A7, the Tokina is much lighter.

Thanks! Yeah somehow I thought so. I guess I'll keep looking then.
I've read nothing but praise for this lens so I'm really looking forward to start using it. I was surprised by how relatively small it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up to three copies of this lens. Is that weird?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I am not familiar with this exact lens but extenders (be they optical or just tubes) will have one mount like the camera and one mount like the lens and fit between the camera and the lens. My guess regarding this system with the optical extender is it provides better speed. tubes have a falloff in light and so lower F stop or shutter speed or higher ISO (or flash) is required to maintain proper exposure.

IIRC at one point in the making not taking series comments on this lens it's mentioned that you can even use the tokina at-x 90 2.5 extender with the vivitar s1 90 2.5 lens on the same mount combinations -

http://makingnottaking.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/vivitar-series-1-90mm-11-macro.html

but not the other way around (eg vivitar extender on tokina lens doesn't match up).

without wanting to go too deep down into weird macro aperture things I don't quite understand completely, I seem to remember reading that the macro extender makes the lens effectively f3.5 and doesn't really do anything to reduce light loss as compared to using empty tubes, and it's more for visual behavior correction for 0.5>1.0x magnification. No idea what - keeps the plane of focus flat or corrects some other aberrations that become more visible at higher magnifications I would guess. I bought the extender for it some months ago but had to use an intermediary for it who is taking their sweet time to actually ship it to me - at the moment I use the Raynox DCR150 and 250 achromatic diopters to increase magnification on it and have no real complaints about their behavior with it at high magnifications (most here use this combination).

Mike Deep wrote:

Nope, I have both the Vivitar and Tokina versions myself and I don't consider that excessive. Don't know what I would do without it Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:

No, just greedy. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mijes wrote:
Hey guys,
Hope this topic is still alive Smile
I recently bought Tokina 90mm 2.5 in Contax mount, I was trying to get both lens & macro extender but I was not able to find it in reasonable price point (shipping + customs tax... whole story).

I wanted to ask, and forgive my complete ignorance in this matter... does the mount of the lens has to match the mount of the macro extender? Or to explain my question better. If I bought a Contax version, does the macro extender also has to be Contax mount? Or is main lens’s contax mount and macro extender‘s lens mount (not body mount) always compatible?
Thank you

In theory there are combinations of mounts that should work, i.e. an M42 lens with m42 to Contax adapter and a Contax mount extender. For the Contax lens however I can't think of an extender mount that could be made to fit correctly, the distance between the elements of the lens and the extender would not be as originally intended.