Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina AT-X 2.5/90mm "The Bokina II"
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
Yes, they may be the same in almost every regard but only the Tokina is the "Bokina".
does that make the Series 1 a Bokitar?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bokitar", that's actually a good one Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still calling my Series 1 Bokitar from now on Cool
It has the same bokeh characteristics as the Tokina and should be recognised as such Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my Vivitar Bokina today. Here the very first shots with Canon 5D3:

F/2.5

F/5.6

What a lens !!

Last edited by alangeli on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alangeli wrote:
Got my Vivitar Bokina today. Here the very first shots with Canon 5D3:

F/2.5

F/5.6

What a lens !!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations alangeli, I'm sure that you'll keep that lens forever and capture many wonderful images with it. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only lens that can replace the bokina is Zuiko 90 2.0. No other lens will replace my bokina Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was sitting on my front porch this evening as the sun was setting. Series 1 Bokina at f/2.5 using NEX-5N...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Was sitting on my front porch this evening as the sun was setting. Series 1 Bokina at f/2.5 using NEX-5N...

Surprised gorgeous image Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

California Wildflower - Crimson Columbine by B Zhou, on Flickr

Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 Macro, NEX 5N

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim, this is beautiful... Shocked Well done.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

A beautiful and wonderful image, congratulations.

Regards.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the minimum working distance (from the front of the lens not from the sensor plane) for this lens,
either Tokina or Vivitar (without and with the proprietary 1:1 extender)?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use calculators like this to work out focus distances
http://www.mystd.de/album/calculator/

1:1 with 90mm lens is focus distance of 0.2m. relate that to the extension of your lens and you can figure out the CWD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice shot woodrim !

I found my copy in New Zealand, LN, in MD mount, and had to pay something like 275 for it. Maybe more. Of course I read all the stories about it first LOL.

DSC02068 by unoh7, on Flickr

Around the same time I also found a 105/2.5 Kiron, which is scratch free but has some haze. It's still wildly sharp, but I doubt it has the contrast it should: but it was only 125USD.

I use 90s alot, bought the at-x for my nex-5, where it was outstanding.

But one day I did a shootout with my little TE90 thin, and found it was also very good on the Nex and much easier to carry! Of course the TE is an everyday 90 and can't do the close work, plus it does not do OOF like the Bokina, but it's mobility trumped those issues.

Now I shoot 95% with:

DSC02767 by unoh7, A7 + Bokina @ f/4ish

and my two main 90s are the little CV 90/3.5 APO and the ultra-modern 90/2.5 Leica.

But I still have great affection for the Bokina, and it really does deliver on the A7 Smile

DSC02790 by unoh7, A7 Bokina

DSC02810 by unoh7, A7 Bokina
Now, to be fair the A7 makes good bokeh with nearly any lens--a side effect of it's thick filter stack I suspect, but the tokina seems especially creamy Smile

For reference (shot on m9):

L1021320 by unoh7, CV 90/3.5 APO @ f/5.6

Boardman Pass by unoh7, Leica 90/2.5 f/5.6

I think the Bokina can easily compete with these lenses at infinity, but I'm too fat to drag it up to really see Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been invigorating,
I have several vivitar 90mm 2.5 used with Minolta then canon with FD EOS adapter
I jumped ship for nikon 800E and just edit purchased bokina on ebay $410 hopefully good shape with 1.1 adalter, cases etc.
Will reply with results

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7: Given your discriminating taste in lenses, it is a great endorsement.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very good thread for comparing the best lenses in this class, but I can´t find any comments or pictures taken with the Yashica 100mm 3.5 which also is a very good lens. Can this lens be just as good or better than the Bokina?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eriksen wrote:
This is a very good thread for comparing the best lenses in this class, but I can´t find any comments or pictures taken with the Yashica 100mm 3.5 which also is a very good lens. Can this lens be just as good or better than the Bokina?

The 90mm 2.5 is in a different class. The "legendary" class. There isn't any comparison from any other lens.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some from the Bokina from spring/summer's big butterfly migration of caper white butterflies. The whole album of all of 'em is over here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/piggsyface/sets/72157679920489846 but these are just the bokina ones.

Cross polarised + diffused flash, + stacked raynox 150+250, focus stacks

Cross polarised + diffused flash, raynox 150 focus stack

Natural light, lens only

Diffused flash, lens only

Cross polarised flash, raynox 250

Natural light focus stacks

Also, after buying it in April 2016 and relying on someone to on-ship it to me from the US, I finally, finally got hold of the native 1:1 macro extender for this thing. Just in time for me to have gotten big into using cross polarised flash for macro and needing a new diameter cir-pl to use it properly Very Happy. I can fit it to my raynox but by then you're at about 2x magnification on 2x crop minimum Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHARP.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW.....that is impressive. Not just the lens, the technique and skills are just as impressive. Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
SHARP.

Should mention most of those natural light ones are at F2.5 also. That's the real strength of it, I think - I have other macros that are lighter, better corrected, longer, whatever, but the bokina's versatility where you get truly excellent starting material out of it from f2.5 to f16 (and f22 perfectly usable also) even on 2x crop is what pushes it into the next level. Should also credit Neat Image software with some of the sharpness too I think Very Happy

Lloydy wrote:
WOW.....that is impressive. Not just the lens, the technique and skills are just as impressive. Like 1

Thanks! The closeups of the caper white's face were probably the hardest PP job I've ever had to do, it's really a job for a bi-telecentric "proper" high magnification optic I think - caper whites aren't the largest butterflies there are. Having things change in dimensions in front of and behind the focal point, and all those scales and protruding hairs, means a lot of cleaning up focus stacks with a 4px size brush Very Happy. There are a few things like dark OOF areas and the antenna seeming to change position as they cross different contrasting surfaces that look like errors in PP but are actually there in single exposures as well. But, really, with stacked diopters and a 2x crop factor and on digital you're so far beyond the magnification this was ever designed for it's kind of amazing to get anything good out of it at all Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive work piggsy. Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful shots piggsy, thanks for sharing.